• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Oh.. So its your fault..:P
Guilty as charged, however I don't regret it.. if you saw my driveway you'd understand, when it will eventually snow.. i have a few spots that will drift in 5' deep.. makes it hard to get to the barn, let alone to the road to get to my day job..

It didn't arrive until after christmas however.. which explains the good early season ;-)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@KULKEA Thermal Trekker. Starting the day with warm boots is no longer a luxury but a necessity.
Therm-ic C-Pack B boot heaters. Keeping the feet warm when you are skiing is very nice too...and the Bluetooth control from a phone. :thumb:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Gas pedals on my boots.

I was always suspicious that my fore/aft stance alignment was not correct. I finally did some testing with bontex shims under my toes and it was a complete revelation. I now have a pair of my boots setup with permanent toe lifts and for the first time in my entire skiing life, I feel like I can actually get to the front of my skis without feeling like I'm going to go over the handlebars. Now I'm "unlearning" all the compensation movements I had developed over the years to deal with my incorrect fore/aft alignment.

James

Out There
Instructor
Gas pedals on my boots.

I was always suspicious that my fore/aft stance alignment was not correct. I finally did some testing with bontex shims under my toes and it was a complete revelation. I now have a pair of my boots setup with permanent toe lifts and for the first time in my entire skiing life, I feel like I can actually get to the front of my skis without feeling like I'm going to go over the handlebars. Now I'm "unlearning" all the compensation movements I had developed over the years to deal with my incorrect fore/aft alignment.
Did you change all your binding deltas? Or are you at zero?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Did you change all your binding deltas? Or are you at zero?

My deltas run from 2.0-4.0mm. So obviously my stance alignment varies slightly when switching skis. I haven't had this change in place long enough to develop a strong opinion yet on which binding delta is working out best. A well-defined protocol for determination of optimal fore/aft alignment doesn't seem to exist (or at least isn't published to the public). Those that do write about the subject don't provide the details of their assessment and remediation practices.

My advice is to test/experiment. Obviously sticking something between your boot toe and the AFD isn't ideal for maintaining the binding release operation, but I read that if you keep it to 3.0mm or less you'll be OK for a few runs.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
At the moment, things are flowing fairly well... knock on wood.... I've had excellent teaching/coaching sessions with new instructors, adult adv/expert group, and some wonderful privates. I've also had the chance to shadow someone who I've long wanted to watch teach. Retail has been weird. Some great experiences working on boot set ups and ski choices with people like SkiMore who are committed to improving their skiing, but also sort of an influx of low trust customers who have been a challenge. but I suppose it does keep you on your toes. Honestly, If I could find good, affordable health care as an instructor, I'd much rather work on the hill.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Having the top buckles loose makes it easier to ski from the feet rather than the top of the boot cuff. If the feet rattle in the boot then either the boot doesn't fit or the turns are not round (enough).

terrible and frustrating until you learn to keep yourself stacked and how to adjust your body for balance and stability then all is good. :thumb:

I needed to hear this. Thanks, guys. I've been thinking a lot more about my feet while skiing lately, and trying to feel what they are doing vs. my legs/shins, etc.
My boots are pretty darned tight, with Boot Doc liners.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had some alignment work done to my boots. Some of the best money I've ever spent on skiing!

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Enjoying finally realizing the full potential of my touring boots. The new pad is equipped with boot up area adjacent to the garage.

The hill is business as usual

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not thinking about ski technique at all while working. We have been so busy with accident response, avy mitigation, partner rescue drills, full blown hasty party exercises and safety/risk management that ski technique is not considered much. Probably better when i don't think about technique!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Raptor 140 RS boots (in the out-of-the-box 130 setting). I've never experienced such power transfer to edge. No downsides in crud, powder, or bumps.

LOL, I was just discussing doing that with @Stephen yesterday. I ski with top 2 just barely snug with Booster (WC) snugged up.

Doesn't everybody?!

Me too, its called Voltaren 75mg BID. (2x daily) LOLOL

PM incoming. My knee OA is a bit over the top this season, perhaps because I'm skiing more than normal.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought a pair of zoom-zoom-zoomy skis, Noridca Dobermans 65mm underfoot. I worked on more-outside-ski-less-inside-ski with @Drahtguy Kevin & @FairToMiddlin coaching me early season. So far, @Chris Geib approves. :hug:

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Armada Victas 87 Ti, bought during a depressing recovery from foot surgery over the summer. Of the 11 days I've skied so far this season, I've used them 9 times. It's good to get back to narrower skis (although they are far from narrow). Also, booting up in the lodge is working well.

James

Out There
Instructor
So, how does that work in crud/variable snow? I'm talking cruddy crud, leftover powder crud. Because I am feeling that if I tighten the cuff enough to hold things steadier in crud, it really does make the boot feel like a brick and like my tibia might snap in half if I hit a pile just right. If I loosen it up, I feel like I have no control over the ski (especially bad with the right leg, the one with the bad MCL.)
Well snow gets in the boot for one. I found that out. I did ski that exact type of snow. Cut up wind packed mounded powder.
What you talk about is something that's always bugged me about boots for me. Too much space in the upper cuff. Then tighten and it's too locked. Or, the cuff wants to pull my shin out of the position that it works well in (current boot).
I sort of stumbled on this work around btw. Part of it stems from another boot where I skied the Vallée Blanche with the top buckle undone because I just couldn't take feeling like I couldn't get over the front of the boot. Not enough for lean for me.

This may be an area where a lace up liner has advantages because it holds together as a unit. But if you have a snug liner, the bottoms are buckled, and a booster it may not be that much different really.

I don't consider this a great solution btw, but it's better than a locked up leg. Essentially I'm experimenting. It may actually be safer than overly restricted. The Fischer has a wire clip that holds the bale in the groove which is nice. Never thought I'd care about that.

I found to ski that snow you really have to tell the skis what to do, be very intentional with lower leg movements. Knees going into the hill/inside the turn. Generally I only think knee movements like that in soft snow. For years knee movement was "bad" and I've had 2 acl's and a meniscus. So I've not thought knee movement. But, that's probably overblown.
Anyway, active functional tension in the legs. Shopping for turns is going to kill the whole thing.
Telling the ski what to do means you're throwing it on edge, lower legs/knees go in. (Angulation) The ski is now banked. Because the snow is softish, it's going to create a platform, bend and go in an arc. While it's doing this you are looking where the next turn path is and moving into the next turn. It's very active, not la di da,

A wide ski may be more difficult in some ways because there's more force back to move your boot. You might try narrower skis first.
The connundrum is steeper terrain and certain snow conditions put more force back. So cuff looseness can lead to a floppy ski. Which isn't good. But try to minimize the bad and increase the good. Getting early angles the ski now has a direction and purpose. Essentially you're doing a lot of work to ride the ski for a brief second and on to the next.

It also helps your feet warm up and acclimate to the boot to do a first run with loose boots.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Just 9 days skiing at this point and most of that has been in moguls. I seem to often be skiing longer fall line distances that reflects more relaxed and efficient technique. Not any new technique but rather being able to better maintain what works best that I suspect each season is increasingly better wired into my brain. My interest has always been a smooth relaxed lower speed rec style not about challenge but rather exhilarating fun. A common statement competition mogul skiers make is to look say 3 bumps ahead that I have followed at times in past seasons but have come to view as more about coping with their need for speed scoring. As someone skiing slower interested in a relaxed feeling, I have learned to instead just focus one mogul ahead.

Last week on my day #8, I had not skied in a long 23 days due to pass black out dates, a dry spell, and an old medical issue. However after a few warm-up groomer runs, was able to ski several back to back long bump lines locked into the zone despite expecting to be rusty.

Sponsor