• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely weird. But. James. You know weird.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah lol do you at least get a beer mug in the wall? Why would any smart vc co sell equity when they can get dopes to give money for free

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier

'The new owners “will immediately shift our focus to getting ready to reopen the mountain at the end of 2020,” Shepard said in an email.'

At least I can ratchet my hopes up somewhat from 0. I've only skied in Maine on one trip, getting to the other two "S" resorts, figuring at the time I would get back up that way and naively assuming resorts would always be open.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a great article, both in content and style.
I love this: "But the reason in my mind why it mostly matters and why we need to do anything we can to keep all operating ski areas open is that it’s almost impossible to build new ones."

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I read the article. It was interesting, but the author seems very "idealist" and seems to ignore the real world consequences of capitalism. As a skier I am in favor of preserving all the worthy area's in operation. But in a capitalistic society, if you don't make a profit, or at least break even, you don't stay in business for long. I would say that things took their natural course in this case and hopefully it all works out.

I suspect that was not necessarily the only issue that sunk Saddleback. In a "free" society, individuals and their actions can have a big impact on events, especially when they are the ones controlling things. (aka. the sellers) I came very close to walking away from buying the house I live in almost 30 years ago. I was ready to walk away from it, even though I really wanted the house. I was the third person to attempt to buy it, and it only happened because I knew the seller personally and I convinced him to fire his lawyer, who was impossible to deal with. It was a probate sale, so a lawyer was a necessary evil. Even my lawyer refused to work with the seller's lawyer and was advising me to walk away.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Here's the latest.

The Ambitious Plan to Create a Ski Utopia in Maine
An impact fund wants to transform Saddleback Mountain, and its surrounding community in Rangeley, Maine, into a skier's paradise. The plan might be a moonshot. But it's also the kind of vision the greater ski industry needs.

On January 31, Arctaris spent $6.5 million to purchase a beloved but troubled backwoods ski mountain—Saddleback Maine, which has been shuttered for the past five seasons. Arctaris plans to radically renovate the base lodge this summer. It’ll open the lifts in December and will eventually spend $38 million in hopes of turning Saddleback into a funky and humane nirvana, replete with affordable housing, fair compensation, day care, and bus transport for its workers—and also, yes, crazy-steep trails and a laid-back lodge where the PBR will flow at an amiable people’s price....
Tower concedes that profits will be a long time coming at Saddleback. “We don’t expect to realize the profit on our investment until we sell the mountain,” he said. “This is a seven-to-ten-year project.”

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Here is a sunjournal.com article I saw quoted elsewhere. Notice that nowhere is the virus and its potential impact for the 2020-2021 season mentioned. https://www.sunjournal.com/2020/05/01/origin-to-lead-saddleback-mountain-branding-project/

Origin to Lead Saddleback Mountain Branding Project
MONTREAL — Boston-based Arctaris Impact Fund, LP, announced Friday, January 31 the official purchase of Saddleback Mountain Ski Resort for $6.5 million. The firm plans to invest $38 million into Maine’s third-largest ski area and has tapped award-winning outdoor marketing agency Origin to lead Saddleback Mountain’s rebranding.

The mountain is expected to reopen at the end of 2020. Upgrades will include a high speed detachable quad chairlift, a redesign of the lodge, significant expansion of the snowmaking system and the addition of mountain bike and fatbike trails. The company also plans to hire more than 200 full- and part-time employees.

“Saddleback’s exceptional skiing, laid back culture and beautiful natural environment has created a passionate following for generations,” said Saddleback Resort General Manager Andy Shepard. “The closing of the mountain five years ago has been a loss to New England’s skiing community, but it has also created challenges for the Rangeley community. News of Arctaris’ purchase has a lot of people very excited.”

Saddleback Mountain hired Origin in early February to develop the brand, creative assets and launch strategy. Origin’s process includes an envisioning session with key stakeholders, a deep dive into the brand’s stories and characters and a strategy to meet the organization’s long-term goals.

“Saddleback Resort has a long history of being an incredible mountain,” said Origin Principal MJ Legault. “Even as a Quebecker, I’ve heard tales of this place and have had it on my wish list—both as a brand partner and to ski—for years. We couldn’t be more excited to have the privilege to work with Saddleback in bringing the brand to life and spreading the message of its revival. Their vision for a true community-based, purposeful approach to the relaunch is inspiring.”

Origin has worked with Maine brand LL Bean and brings a deep understanding of the resort industry with branding campaigns developed for Jay Peak Resort, Squaw Valley, Taos Ski Resort, Whistler Blackcomb and several more.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Notice that nowhere is the virus and its potential impact for the 2020-2021 season mentioned.

Well, the Rangeley Highlander is not exactly unbiased journalism. It's more like a chamber of commerce product.

Sponsor