• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
It's like Amazon coming to nyc. Everyone got up in arms about $2bill in tax credits. Meanwhile, Hudson Yards on the West Side got something like $6bill for mostly luxury apts.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We saw Jack Black coming out of one of the Hudson Yards apartment buildings last year. We also took our kids to the frying pan on a Saturday afternoon. Safe to say we were about the only family there, my boy wanted to get the hell out. Give him 10 (5?) more years.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But...but... Land of Oz??
(Is it ever good there?)

Kevin, you might have to reconsider Sunday River as a gathering spot. I have skied there a fair amount this year, and they have been smiled on by the snow Gods. The rain line has been consistently south and they have had great conditions. The Land of Oz has been open and skiing fabulously this season. I did many laps on the quad there 2 weekends ago. I do get where you are coming from, they are lower elevation and can get warm temps earlier than most.

They have upgraded their snowmaking, and I have seen real improvement in the skiing there. This season has been less crowded in general too. Their grooming is first rate, so they make the most of what they have. I would say they might groom too much, as its hard to find non-groomed slopes except at Oz and the glades.

I am pretty excited to ski MRG on Friday if things work out. Then its off to Oz to meet Dorothy for five days. I heard the tin man's heart needs to wound again.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Kevin, you might have to reconsider Sunday River as a gathering spot. I have skied there a fair amount this year, and they have been smiled on by the snow Gods. The rain line has been consistently south and they have had great conditions. The Land of Oz has been open and skiing fabulously this season. I did many laps on the quad there 2 weekends ago. I do get where you are coming from, they are lower elevation and can get warm temps earlier than most.

They have upgraded their snowmaking, and I have seen real improvement in the skiing there. This season has been less crowded in general too. Their grooming is first rate, so they make the most of what they have. I would say they might groom too much, as its hard to find non-groomed slopes except at Oz and the glades.

I am pretty excited to ski MRG on Friday if things work out. Then its off to Oz to meet Dorothy for five days. I heard the tin man's heart needs to wound again.

Usually ungroomed are Agony and Top Gun on Barker, the trail under spruce Lift, the trail under Jordan lift, Northern Exposure, and at least one side of White Heat.

We were considering going to Sugarbush on the 30th but are probably switching to this weekend with the forecast.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Kevin, you might have to reconsider Sunday River as a gathering spot. I have skied there a fair amount this year, and they have been smiled on by the snow Gods. The rain line has been consistently south and they have had great conditions. The Land of Oz has been open and skiing fabulously this season.

That’s because I wasn’t there. :) Ive been to Sunday River a few times over the years and every time it was abysmal conditions. I seem to jinx the place. :huh:

Granted, New England “firm” can and does happen everywhere. But my batting average with SR is poor. :(

Putting aside personal biases...The NEG did go to Maine one year (Saddleback and Sugarloaf) and the result was the most sparsely attended gathering ever. The extra travel time to / from Maine (as compared to Northern Vermont) counts out a lot of people, and I would prefer to see the NEG grow.

James

Out There
Instructor
My memories of the Land of Oz where a sheen off the snow that could be seen from distance. I had to go anyway, as the trees are cool. The snow was less than stellar. It did have a few nice spots wedged in under a lift I think.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The NEG did go to Maine one year (Saddleback and Sugarloaf) and the result was the most sparsely attended gathering ever.
I think it was second. I guess it might first be by total unique skiers, but second by peak number attending on any one day.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Usually ungroomed are Agony and Top Gun on Barker, the trail under spruce Lift, the trail under Jordan lift, Northern Exposure, and at least one side of White Heat.

The fact that on a mountain with 135 named runs, you can immediately recall the 4 full and two half runs that they don't groom pretty much tells the whole story. (Not to mention that two of those runs have such gawdawful double fall lines that they probably can't be groomed or skied with enjoyment.) In fairness to the resort, to @ScottB and others, I'm exaggerating a little. But as a representation of the River's operational mindset, I stand by my bias.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Vermont seems to be the most central for pugskiers coming from the south. There is also a good amount of active posters from the Stowe area. No qualms on my end about the gathering location, especially since I ski Maine plenty and don't get up to VT as often. A good change of pace. I also think the home brew beer is better in VT, but that of course is debatable.

One nice thing about SR and Sugarloaf is the on mtn housing is plentiful and reasonable. The Vt mtn's aren't as convenient, except for maybe Smugglers.

Wait, does this count as another Stowe post????

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
The fact that on a mountain with 135 named runs, you can immediately recall the 4 full and two half runs that they don't groom pretty much tells the whole story. (Not to mention that two of those runs have such gawdawful double fall lines that they probably can't be groomed or skied with enjoyment.) In fairness to the resort, to @ScottB and others, I'm exaggerating a little. But as a representation of the River's operational mindset, I stand by my bias.

On the other hand, Stowe's Goat, Starr and Lookout trails are world-renowned for their consistent fall lines, the nice soft moguls that form there, and the ease of grooming on the remote chance that the bumps get *ahem* large or -- heaven forbid -- icy.

:rolleyes:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Haha I don't have to be the defender of SR, but it's silly when half the good trails at Stowe aren't even open. When's the last time those world renowned trails were even open top to bottom in March? Not last year when I was there, had to ski slab below the tree falls and under lookout, it was something like -20 in the morning. Chinclip had some sweet icy moguls though.

Goat is definitely one of my favorite trails, I've just had bad timing when I've been there the last few years. The woods to the left towards the top are sick. I'd say parts of goat are harder than any at SR, I'm no expert but those SR double fall lines are a piece of cake, and I didn't list the woods.

But for the sake of enjoyment I hope you guys get to ski them top to bottom, looks like the lowers were groomed last night because there's more open than yesterday. Let's get some snow!

TS
pipestem

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks very much. ^ So it might happen. And they might get enough investment to try to reopen. Tough business. So hope I can go back there on a good day.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Very positive news from meeting this afternoon. Emerging snippet from Facebook:

"I was at the mmeetin. Here's the big picturre

Expect a signed purchase and sale within next 4 days

Closing Nov 4

Open in Jan weekends/holidays, with T bar this year

Arctaris rep said in answer to my question, the Berry's want a Nov 4 closing.

Condo owners not being asked for money to acguire the mountain

The rest was 5 year plans for 4 season resort $ 34 million , they are about $6million short
Bruce"

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If they open I'll come up and ski at least one weekend. Promise.

Sponsor

Staff online