• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I enjoy skis with many different personalities, so for me, there is definitively no *best* ski.

But there are a few characteristics that every ski I own must have. They must never be over 100mm in width (I have creaky knees), and they must be forgiving enough to ski all day. If the snow conditions are unexpected, they need to allow me and my average skills to still ski anywhere I want.

I also (unconsciously) have shied away from the most popular *it* ski.....I enjoy skiing skis that one doesn’t see all over the hill.

Ha, now I’m wondering whether there’s a deeper psychological reason for this.....do my ski choices reflect some of my desires to be be a nonconformist and embrace the quirkier things in life, while still valuing loyalty and dependability? ;)
If they are IN the snow, it tends not to be a knee issue...ON the snow, I see your concern.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If they are IN the snow, it tends not to be a knee issue...ON the snow, I see your concern.

Yeah, I get that, and if I know it’s ON snow skiing, the SR 83 is the widest I’ll use.

I haven’t yet been on a much-wider-than 100 waist ski that doesn’t make me feel like I’m wearing clown shoes.

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
I believe the only appropriate set of skis to be using would be a pair of rental snowboards mounted with ski bindings. Nothing beats that 250mm underfoot float:D

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Missile Bandits

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Is there a ski for an advanced skier that does "everything"? Or should I stick with my K2 msl. ?

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
$200.00 in new condition. That's the best ski for me.
dynastar-cr74-fluid-x-skis-nx-12-bindings-2015-165.jpg

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
The MSL question has to be a troll attempt. With over two months until we have snow, maybe you should give it its own thread! :popcorn:

Missile Bandits

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Most people I talk to have a quiver of skis. One for powder, one for packed. One works here but not there. Can't wait to get to the bottom to switch. We used to have one pair for the season, and a pair of rock skis for when conditions warranted it.
Can you narrow it down to 5? all mtn. advanced. East coast. (knocks out the powder bds). right?

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Easy. The best ski is either the one with colors that best match my ski outfit or gets ski of the year from the big name magazines.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Most people I talk to have a quiver of skis. One for powder, one for packed. One works here but not there. Can't wait to get to the bottom to switch. We used to have one pair for the season, and a pair of rock skis for when conditions warranted it.
Can you narrow it down to 5? all mtn. advanced. East coast. (knocks out the powder bds). right?

Your size (weight, height ), ability, number of days on snow per season, where (be specific), your ski and the terrain you prefer.... skis you've liked, skis you haven't cared for.... boot your driving your skis with, ambitions.... then we can steer you to a top 3-5 skis.

Sponsor