• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's the best ski? (for me...)

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is a saying that gets thrown about by a few (mostly those of the race oriented crowd), you can’t ski, ice just proves it.

The comment about your friend with wider rockered skis leads right into this comment because he can’t edge on hard snow without a rocker, on ice a rockered ski would be hard pressed to keep the edge. So again that assessment of a lower advanced skier drops a few points into intermediate because the lack of certain skills are masked by the ski to a point less than ideal conditions for said ski.

54yrs on skis has taught me that you may look rough but if you can ski it all correctly no matter what you are on you are truly advanced. Ski it well with only certain equipment and or certain conditions, you are not as good as you think you may be and are still missing certain skill sets.

As mentioned in other threads, modern equipment hides lacking skills (great for encouraging skiers), downside is over assessment and the risk of getting in deep trouble because if this. The entire skill set should be learned before being called advanced (MHO).

BTW the little boy in my Avitar is me in 1965 at 1-1/2 in Austria.

TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry for the late response. My plans to get in a few more ski days this year were subverted (!). Will have to put the search on hold until next season where I hope to try out some more skis, maybe find a "demo" day.

@AngryAnalyst, @oldschoolskier , @Seldomski, @thebonafortuna,
Thanks for all the late weigh-ins. Interesting feedback regarding the wide ski trend. I think @trailtrimmer may have summed it up with the comment "build skills."

Bought a bicycle and am hoping that riding will help build leg strength and stamina that will carry over to next ski season.

Have a great summer y'all.
Tom

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
As had been written here many times... You demo the tune & conditions, then the skis. I'd skip the demo thing, at least until you have a decent baseline.

Make a list of potential all mt skis from your engineering research, then keep your eyes peeled for a great deal on one of those possibilities. Don't let perfect get in the way of good. Get to know that pair (and yourself) then consider a demo day or two just to see what other skis with different focus might be like. Ie, pure carvers, soft snow skis, etc. If you get lucky on a trip and know you'll be in deep powder, consider a fat ski rental and a lesson or two if that appeals to you.

If you take good care of your skis, you'll lose less on depreciation than you would paying for a bunch of demo rentals and end up in a better place. You might also decide if a osq is better for you or if you want a small quiver at that point.

Also, invest some time and money in a basic tuning setup. On groomers, a sharp /waxed ski is a joy. A well tuned "ok" ski might ski a lot better than a great ski that has been neglected.

James

Out There
Instructor
^ Good advice. Demoing can be over rated. Hell one guy posted he'd be better off just buying the skis and burning them, in terms of time wasted.

Sponsor

Staff online