• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's the best ski... for me? Part Deux

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Sorry for the dumb questions... I'm truly interested in learning and understanding these things...

As the ski is tipped over more, I'm logically assuming that will further engage the tip effectively increasing the turn radius... Is that right or do I have it backwards?

Thanks!

Quite the opposite. It is simple physics, and the combination of a parabolic sidecut and a camber that can be bent. Look at the contact points and implied radii here

http://diginfo.ru/en/alpine-ski/ski-sidecut-radius-and-radius-of-a-carved-turn/

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Quite the opposite. It is simple physics, and the combination of a parabolic sidecut and a camber that can be bent. Look at the contact points and implied radii here

http://diginfo.ru/en/alpine-ski/ski-sidecut-radius-and-radius-of-a-carved-turn/
This is a very good example, though early rise shortens the length of the ski running straight, as it is tilted it allows a length to be added which can in effect tighten radius even more aggressively depending on the shape.

Rocker is the opposite of camber, it is there to allow a ski to pivot vs carve (yes they still carve to some extent). Early rise is when a ski with camber is pressed flat cause to contact point of the tip of the ski to move back slightly. This changes the felt length as the ski is tilted and add potential for rate of engagement changes depending in shape noted above.

TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK folks, visited the LSS (local ski shop) Saturday morning, and pulled the trigger on a pair of 2019 K2 iKonic 84ti @170cm. As is per my typical method to avoid buyer's remorse, I've deleted my spreadsheet, all my bookmarked ski review pages and now I look forward to getting them out on the snow. Hopefully nobody comes back to tell me "That ski sux!!" LOL.

Now maybe I can get hooked up with a @KULKEA ski bag!

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

Tom

TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
OK folks, visited the LSS (local ski shop) Saturday morning, and pulled the trigger on a pair of 2019 K2 iKonic 84ti @170cm. As is per my typical method to avoid buyer's remorse, I've deleted my spreadsheet, all my bookmarked ski review pages and now I look forward to getting them out on the snow. Hopefully nobody comes back to tell me "That ski sux!!" LOL.

Now maybe I can get hooked up with a @KULKEA ski bag!

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

Tom

The K2 Ikonic 84Ti is the total opposite of “suck” and is actually the most versatile carver type ski out there! They are like a Brahma or Enforcer 88 with a bit more carver slant to them.

Re-read your stats and the 170cm size should be perfect for you too. Have slightly heavier and more aggressive friends that ski the 177cm and LOVE THEM. Great in the harder snow in the morning and very good in the afternoon when things get choppy. Congrats!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January