• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's the 2020 verdict on electric edge sharpeners?

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I live in an apartment and work outside. That’s way better than when I worked in a basement. I think the dust issue is overdone. I wouldn’t use the EVO indoors, but it’s a low power tool that throws way less dust than the bench grinder I had in my garage.

dm

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
All of those look quite heavy, bulky, and cumbersome to operate. Cordless helps as I imagine catching the cord on something could cause the device to tip or bounce... OOPS!

It would be slick to devise a way to mount one upside down with the bit sticking up through a table flush with a fence and guides. Just set the desired bevel, turn it on, and push the ski base down along the guide, turn the ski 180 and do the other edge. I've used similar set ups for other routine routering and cutting tasks

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
All of those look quite heavy, bulky, and cumbersome to operate. Cordless helps as I imagine catching the cord on something could cause the device to tip or bounce... OOPS!

It would be slick to devise a way to mount one upside down with the bit sticking up through a table flush with a fence and guides. Just set the desired bevel, turn it on, and push the ski base down along the guide, turn the ski 180 and do the other edge. I've used similar set ups for other routine routering and cutting tasks
That’s harder than you might think. You need large flat table to control the ski. That’s gonna be costly.

OTOH I find the EVO easy to use.

dm

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
I bought the EVO this past fall and have used it on 6 pairs so far. It's easy to get used to and refreshes an edge in about 30 seconds. You do have to have a sidewall planer and it helps of the vices are near vertical. My shop tech suggested the Fine stone for refreshing. Coarse and Extra Fine stones are available.
A new edge is sure nice to have! As mentioned above, it throws less dust than a bench grinder, but a mask of some sort would be advisable. It takes off much less metal than filing.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm mostly happy with my Evo. I'm 100% happier than trying to keep my quiver and my wife's skis sharp by hand; as others have suggested, the difference versus using diamond stones on a race ski isn't huge in time, but (a) I'm pretty damn sure I'm getting a grippier ski out of the deal; and (b) when you get minor edge damage, the Evo saves hours. Knock it down as best you can with a normal stone, then run the coarse disc across the edge (maybe repeat a couple of times for bad damage) and you'll have a usable edge back. You may still have valleys in the metal, but no tool is going to solve that problem.

Re: dust, I do use mine in the basement, and I do wear a mask while running it and cleaning up afterwards. I also put a fine spray of water on the edge before grinding; one of the local shop techs suggested that, and while I'm not convinced he's entirely right about it resulting in a better edge, it definitely does reduce the amount of dust in the air.

Yes, the Evo is plastic, and it's a bit touchy (it's far easier than I'd like to slip off the ski and screw up the edge at that spot in the process), but it seems to be providing repeatable results for me (i.e the Evo set to 87 and a stone on a three-degree file guide seem to match up). I do think that it is an easier tool to use when you have a lot of experience using files and stones with guides; I'm not sure I'd be comfortable handing it to a 16-year-old, even a relatively intelligent one.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I do think that it is an easier tool to use when you have a lot of experience using files and stones with guides; I'm not sure I'd be comfortable handing it to a 16-year-old, even a relatively intelligent one.

True, my daughter doesn't want to touch the Fogman.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
Razor Tune for me. Sharpen them after a weekend of skiing and each and every time they look like I picked them up from a WC tuner. I am pretty handy with tools and this is my 3rd season using it. I've probably have sharpened the equivalent of 60-70 pairs of skis in that time. Not counting the crap skis I have laying around I used to practice on (probably have the sharpest rock skis on the east coast :ogbiggrin: )

Like most things, you have to pay attention to what you are doing each and every time. To the complaints of the weight and bulkiness, yes it has that but is moot as the ski lays flat and the Razor Tune lays on the base of the ski. Takes almost no strength. Yes, you need a firm grip and yes you need to push inwards toward the edge being sharpened. I assure you it no more strength than holding a steering wheel while making a turn.

To prevent the cord from tangling, I have the cord plugged into the bench I'm at, goes to the ceiling and back down. The RT is positioned on the wall midway of the ski vise tip and tail. I don't like the idea of the cord dragging along the razor sharp edge, so when I wrap it around my forearm (so it comes out over top) that I'm holding the top of the RT with and the cord is always several inches away from the ski.

I have all three stones but since I'm not racing this year, all I ever use is the medium. I use the coarse on new skis or after a new base grind to set the edge. Could probably get away with just one pass but always do two on each edge.

Prior to using the RT and I would guess any electric sharpener, make sure any dings or blemishes in the base are taken care of. I've hit a couple rocks and make sure to that "spot" is flat before I sharpen so it doesn't bump up along the way. I also make sure that any dings to the edges are knocked flat with a diamond stone too.

Also need to make sure the sidewall is planed back.

Depending on the type of ski vise you have, you might need to make sure the entire edge is hanging over the vise as you don't want the RT to run into something along the way.

For whatever reason, when I sharpen I walk backwards along the edge I'm sharpening, so I need to make sure my feet and body have a clear path as well (once left a drawer on the bench open :geek: ). No dogs, kids or anyone else so I don't bump into anything/one and don't have to worry about them getting metal dust up their nose.

Wear a mask. They suck but wear one anyways.

They aren't inexpensive but I love it and am still thrilled with it.

Ken

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snow Glide does base bevels also.

Don’t think he sells those anymore. Even the WC techs aren’t buying it. He doesn’t recommend to them so no longer listed I believe. AFL with the 0.1 increments is more than enough for those that make their living doing this.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’d recommend the Razr Tune. Can’t beat it for the price and it was effectively built off the snowglide (but more plastic, less complicated, etc).

I personally have the snow glide but unless you are super into things and need the robustness, Razr tune wins by a country mile for home tuning with a budget.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January