• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's on TV today?

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Same ole same ole...

maxresdefault.jpg

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
"Did you get my cheese whiz boy?".... Just started on HBO-W

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Downhill Racer's on TMCXW right now. Started 14 minutes ago.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Am I the only one who had never heard of this movie until today? It's on TMC right now

Bummed I don't get TMC.
We talked about it in this thread.
I saw it in the theater when I was a kid, thought it was great!

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It was a good day for watching TV. Flipped from the end of that movie to the Liverpool game for Premiere League first place top of the table.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Am I the only one who had never heard of this movie until today? It's on TMC right now

I saw Snow Job yesterday too, fun little surprise ending. I never heard of it either and I was pretty aware of Killy and his ski racing exploits when this film was released in 1972. I think the film was called The Great Ski Caper when first released in the US, but that doesn't ring a bell either? Killy's acting is not great, but it's a decent little heist flick. I missed the first couple of minutes of yesterday's screening on TCM, which I understand included a good opening ski segment.

The film includes a lot of alpine scenery, centered around Cervinia, the Italian side of the Matterhorn. There is nice footage of Killy skiing in glacier terrain near the Matterhorn. I thought his fairly high speed charge through a low angle glacial ice field might have been the most dangerous part. If a binding had popped there it would have been a bad place to crash into boulder-size chunks of ice a la Michael Schumacher. BTW, the leading lady in the film, Danielle Gaubert, later became Killy's real life wife. The insurance guy who dominates the last part of the movie was Vittorio De Sica, is one of the giants of 20th century Italian cinema (The Bicycle Thieves).
1118full-jean--claude-killy.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you have access to the TCM channel's films on demand library you can currently watch a 1967 movie called The Double Man, starring Yul Brynner and Britt Ekland. It's a fairly decent spy thriller set almost entirely in Austria's Arlberg Region. There's a great deal of footage featuring snow covered alps, cable cars (Trittkopfbahn, Zurs), skiers/skiing (5 minutes of skiing around the 35 minute mark), and close-ups of vintage ski equipment and clothing. There's even a torchlight ski parade near the end of the film. Kneissl, Fischer and Rossignol seemed to be the skis of choice. Yul skied on Kneissl, or at least his double did. From what I understand Britt Ekland was a skier in real life. Some cool old cars are also seen in the film including VW buses, bathtub Porsches, and Mercedes taxis.

yul-brynner-britt-ekland-the-double-man-1967-BP8F2J.jpg

The film features Yul frequently riding around in what is now a highly-collectible 1960 Volkswagen Deluxe "23-Window" Samba micro-bus.
images