• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

what's just below racing skis from Atomic, Head, Rossi (torsional stiffness, energy return) ?

Don Canard

Booting up
Skier
I've run on Rossi 7SK starting in 1998 until about 2014 and Rossi 9S from 2005 to present. They were cheap at a local ski shop because no one wanted them; I figured they were high quality skis and if racers could carve on them, I could learn to as well. (It's a variant of being a Luddite about shaped skis, except I had a rational reason (rational can be wrong, but it was rational as opposed to just not liking something because it's new (nevermind a threat to established practice)). No apologies, it worked for me.)

What I believe I got out of them is equipment that could always do more than I was able to ask of it (which I've been fortunate to have, in several venues, and always appreciated). Particularly in terms of pushing energy in and then getting it back out at the end of a turn or other maneuver. (Simply: I could feel the power in the skis, in their construction.)

I now have an opportunity to buy some new skis, I'm looking to go notably shorter, and get something with notable sidecut (I've demo'd Head i-speeds, Volkl Deacon & RTM, Rossi Hero ??, Fischer Curv). My question is, will any build other than the racing lines have the same kind of construction and give the same kind of torsional stiffness and energy return ? I'm a lay consumer, so for example I have a lay understanding that a layer of titanal above and below the wood core is good for torsional stiffness.

Don't misinterpret that I'm looking for race skis even though I'm not a racer. Rather, I want the qualities I've experienced in race skis, and will be happy if I can find them in a "lower" grade of ski. But if not, I'm inclined to go with race skis again. (My lay impression is that just like in Formula1 auto racing and high-perf computing, the top of the tech artform drives technology development down the product pyramid, but that dissipates down the line, and if you want those qualities, you might as well get as close to the area in the product lines where they're available, as you can.)

Particularly looking for comments about Atomic, Head, Rossi lines & grades, or your suggestions about models of other brands to look at.

Thanks!

I'm a northeastern frontside skier, BTW. It is what it is...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For Atomic, the X9 series, which is the Redsters but they are Green.
@Philpug @Drahtguy Kevin @DoryBreaux and a few more have been on them.
IMG_4243.jpg

TS
D

Don Canard

Booting up
Skier
nice shop, thank you. the only difference I can see on the atomic website between the S9 and the X9 for example is that the S9 has a "speed sidecut". I think I read somewhere that the body of the ski is built the same ?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I now have an opportunity to buy some new skis, I'm looking to go notably shorter, and get something with notable sidecut (I've demo'd Head i-speeds, Volkl Deacon & RTM, Rossi Hero ??, Fischer Curv). My question is, will any build other than the racing lines have the same kind of construction and give the same kind of torsional stiffness and energy return ? I'm a lay consumer, so for example I have a lay understanding that a layer of titanal above and below the wood core is good for torsional stiffness.

Don't misinterpret that I'm looking for race skis even though I'm not a racer. Rather, I want the qualities I've experienced in race skis, and will be happy if I can find them in a "lower" grade of ski. But if not, I'm inclined to go with race skis again. (My lay impression is that just like in Formula1 auto racing and high-perf computing, the top of the tech artform drives technology development down the product pyramid, but that dissipates down the line, and if you want those qualities, you might as well get as close to the area in the product lines where they're available, as you can.)

Which Heads did you try and how often do you get fresh snow on your home hill? There are also a couple fun skis for sale on this message board that may fit the bill, how tall/heavy are you?

If you want absolute edge hold on icy conditions and tighter radius, then a non-FIS or "cheater" GS ski is really what you are looking for. However, not all of them do well in fresh deeper snow and crud. That's where the Head Magnum and Rally come in over the Rebel i.Speed or the Atomic X9 and X7 over the S9.

Bottom line, a typical narrow frontside ski wont grip like a cheater GS ski and a cheater GS ski won't quite keep up with a FIS GS ski. Conversely, the more racy they get, typically the less versatile they become.

FWIW, I spend 60-70% of my time on a wide front side ski and the rest on a cheater GS. In fresh snow, I can't get away from the cheaters fast enough. I know I give up absolute edge hold, but they are way more fun to ski in variable conditions while still rewarding good technique and similar style.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I'm a Rossi girl. I had the 8S oversized, the 9 was too stiff. I'm currently skiing either the Hero ST Carbon (2014) or the Hero MT Carbon (2019). These are skis below the race grade without going to the Pursuit line. The MT is 75 underfoot and has been good so far this season. They come in a Ti version too, I just can't bend them.

I also second the Atomic Redsters. There are also Firebirds that are race orientated, but not race skis.

dropd9

Booting up
Skier
As a "long ago" previous rider of 7sk and excess dualtec, I appreciated the Atomic redsters as much as anything else on eastern hardpack and gliding across glare ice...the blue/black stuff that you can see through. I'm 5'10" 195 and have spent a lot of time on the G9 (second from left in Tricia's pic) in 171, 177 and 183. They are all under 20m radius, come with bindings and imho are the ultimate consumer GS ski available...not that I have ties to atomic but I have been pretty loyal as an atomic customer for no real reason other than price, good product and LOTS of smiles over the years. If you are close to Wachusett they have all 3 sizes and 3 sizes of S9's for demo. It's worth it to try them.
Also, as mentioned above, even though they are relatively heavy/damp skis, after a few inches of fresh snow they are useable (as you can adjust bindings fore/aft a couple cm), but not as much fun as a wider all-mountain ski. I have a pair of Nordica Nav80's that are nowhere near the ski the G9 is, but much more comfortable in crowds, tight spots and soft snow. Good luck!!

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Still don't know how I feel about the "Greenster" color scheme but man are they fun. I've been on the S9 and G9, and the X9 is a sort of inbetweener.
I would buy the G or X in a heartbeat if I were still teaching, or if I were a race coach.

TS
D

Don Canard

Booting up
Skier
thanks all ! (And interesting that there are areas that demo top-of-the-line stuff - see below, I demo'd 2nd tier which I ended up buying and am happy with).

I ended up buying new Head i-speed's in 163 with PRD-12 bindings. Very nice, looking forward to rolling them out next week. There were a pair of Head SL RD's, but the i-Speeds were more, um, fiscally responsible, and the shop pro who has a good rep which I feel is warranted, said the i-Speeds would be a more versatile ski. Can't claim I operate at a level where I need FIS performance all the time... so this feels good. I demo'd them in 170 and was happy to see them new at the length I wanted.

Thanks again for your input!

Sponsor