• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's better? A clinic or one-off lessons?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
A couple of thoughts that I don't think have been expressed yet.

On a busy day, use the group lesson to shorten the lift line if nothing else.

Use the instructor as a source of inside knowledge about the resort, as well as skiing.

If you are having a bad lesson for whatever reason, you can just bail knowing that lesson per se didn't cost anything.

Go during the week if possible. This has already been said. But there is nothing like paying for a group lesson and getting a private. I've done this a few times and it is great to take advantage of the situation. You can politely tell the instructor what you are going to do today instead of vice versa. They have no real reason NOT to do as you say.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier

Use the instructor as a source of inside knowledge about the resort, as well as skiing.

If you are having a bad lesson for whatever reason, you can just bail knowing that lesson per se didn't cost anything.

Go during the week if possible. This has already been said. But there is nothing like paying for a group lesson and getting a private. I've done this a few times and it is great to take advantage of the situation. You can politely tell the instructor what you are going to do today instead of vice versa. They have no real reason NOT to do as you say.

All good points!

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Depends on the rules at that area. Some only give cutting privileges to private lessons. Check before you buy.

If you are having a bad lesson
Drop out. Go to the ski school office. Complain. Get a refund or voucher for another lesson. You deserve better. The ski school director needs to know how the instructors are doing.

You can politely tell the instructor what you are going to do today instead of vice versa.
Always do that. Your request needs to be consistent with what the group is doing and where the group is on the hill, but otherwise, get the instruction you need. A good instructor can give six concurrent private lessons..."Jane, here's what I'd like you to do. Jim, do this. Joe, do it this way. Jill, try it like this instead of that and see how your balance improves."

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier

Going during the week - easier said than done. I have Mon-Fri full-time job.... So this would most likely be weekends.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So I've been thinking about where to get my pass next year - Sugar Bowl, Squaw/Alpine, or some combination of both. And one of the things I want to focus on next season is steeps/mogul improvement.

A friend did the Squaw Women's Clinic last year and loved it.
http://squawalpine.com/skiing-riding/women-winter-camp

Another friend (who has the Squaw/Alpine pass) is considering getting the Alpine unlimited group lessons.
http://squawalpine.com/skiing-riding/alpine-unlimited-lessons

What do you think is a more effective way to really improve? Concentrated teaching - or spread out across the season?

thanks.
Not sure why I didn't see this sooner, but I've been really impressed with the camps at Squaw. I think the progression and variety of terrain is top notch and they have some incredible instructors working with the women there.

Sponsor

Staff online