• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What would your mother say

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
So as we're heading into mothers day I have had my mom on my mind quite a bit. Mom passed away a while ago but Still the aphorisms she used to come up with still play a prominent role in our family.
My son is a dad now and as I watch him raise our granddaughter I hear the phrases I used to use with him and his sister come out of his mouth. Well those are the same things my mom used to say to me.
So.....what did your mom use on you...
I'll start with a couple favorites.

"we don't do that in our family"
"I brought you into this world, I can take you out"
"and what on god's green earth makes you think that was ok"
"I don't care if your sisters were picking on you. we don't hit girls" ( I was the baby of the family. 3 older sisters)

And my favorite of all

"Honey I love you but...…"

There are a million of these out there and I'm sure we all have examples of somewhat unique ones that come to mind so lets share and reminisce together.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
"Close the god-damned door! We're not heating all of Willow Beach!!"
"Were you born in a god-damned barn!?!?"
"The world needs ditch-diggers..."

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
"AnDennis!" Mom has two boys and if one us (Andrew (me) or Dennis) was bringin' on the chaos she would yell out "AnDennis!" to get our attention. Even if one of us wasn't anywhere in the vicinity.

Or

"Two boys were two, too many"

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
"Sit on your hands."

And every child's' favorite from Mom, "I Love you".

TS
Carolinacub

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
"AnDennis!" Mom has two boys and if one us (Andrew (me) or Dennis) was bringin' on the chaos she would yell out "AnDennis!" to get our attention. Even if one of us wasn't anywhere in the vicinity.

Or

"Two boys were two, too many"
For us it was dilinsuepaul

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I am a second child and my old sister was the "Golden Child" so the most common saying I always had to put up with was:

"Why can't you be more like your sister."

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
"If you pout any harder you’ll trip on your lower lip."

Kid, "Hey Mom where’s the (insert lost item here)?" Mom, "My left hip pocket."

The worst condemnation of all, "That doesn’t please me." When I was 30 that would still cause me to shrivel.

Mom, "Terry, do you want to set the table?" Smart ass kid (me), "No." Mom, "Terry, set the table." Me, "Yes, Ma’am."

Lost Mom 26 years ago. Will always miss her. On the other hand, my 99 year old Dad is still going strong. Lives in a nice apartment, goes out and feeds the ducks, and is loved by all the other tenants.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
The most common mom phrases when I was growing up:
- "Leave your sister alone." (of course she always started it)
- "Go to your room and wait for your father to get home!" (never seemed to apply to sis)
- "Go outside and don't come back until dinner." (helicopter moms were a few decades in the future... but then, there were 60 other moms in the neighborhood looking out for everyone)
- "Get in the car, we're going to Baba's." (grandma's... to do housework, yardwork)

My all time favorite, though only said once, when I moved out shortly after turning 18:
- "As long as you stay in college, come home every week to do your laundry and have a good meal." Of course, she did my laundry and sent me off with several other good meals. I took full advantage of this for the next 5.5 years.

She rarely said "I love you" but showed it every day through her actions. We lost her 35 years ago. She never got to see me treat my sons in similar fashion.

Sponsor

Staff online