• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Stones Fans- $149 K2 Side Stash

image.jpeg

https://www.the-house.com/8974k2sr5...KQQIhuKDrfk03k1Ob3t7XSmeMiYzZEM0aAtMgEALw_wcB

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
When K2 sent production to China, I lost all interest. And I had two pair of K2 skis at the time , (still do ;-)

But really, The enjoyment of sport has to do with many things. Made in USA is one of them.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The impression left in in my mind from previous offerings, advertising, and recent demoing and trading skis for a day with fellow patrollers regarding K2 skis is that they are a good quality ski aimed at skiers who do not necessarily have the highest skills, and that they are more suited to soft snow and 8/10 ths skiing and being a bit more forgiving than generating high g forces and holding the line on a hard turn on hard snow.

This is pretty much my understanding of K2 as well. That said I did buy a pair of potion 74xti for my wife that she used for a year or so and they did help a ton with her learning progression.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The impression left in in my mind from previous offerings, advertising, and recent demoing and trading skis for a day with fellow patrollers regarding K2 skis is that they are a good quality ski aimed at skiers who do not necessarily have the highest skills, and that they are more suited to soft snow and 8/10 ths skiing and being a bit more forgiving than generating high g forces and holding the line on a hard turn on hard snow.

If they do indeed have product that will generate high g forces and hold the line in a hard carved turn, then they need to strongly differentiate that line of skis from their other offerings and make it well known to the public.
Like I said, on the women's side, I'm blown away by the Luv Machine 72 Ti.
The Men's version is the Speed Charger. The ski that Phil and ScotsSkier have both skied is the Super Charger which is little wider but still formidable. Not for the skier who has mediocre skills.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
As a skier with mediocre skills, I've got the iKonic 84ti on my wish list. I figure it's the closest twin to the AMP Rictor 82xti, with a slightly simpler name. I've got 177 days on those and even though they don't seen to be shot yet, the clock is clearly ticking.

TS
Wasatchman

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Great feedback so far by the Pugski community so far.

If I may be bold to summarize my spin for K2 management based on what many have posted:

1) K2 should introduce some really demanding badass and burly halo skis. This might help the perception of the overall K2 brand. A lot of really serious skiers may be dismissing K2 brand far too quickly because of reputation (fair or not) that K2 is not burly enough.

2) Perhaps a lot of K2 models should be a lot more popular than they are. I would think forgiving skis would be high on the list for the vast majority of skiers out there. But perhaps because of Point #1 above, and to use a term from @Philpug, the 11/10 skiers who can have outsized influence on the broader public and perception are not pushing K2 enough. The Charger series sounds beefy, but more models in other widths/halo skis are needed. A lot of people's egos might prefer to be associated with super burly, even though in reality a more forgiving ski (while still having plenty of performance) would be much more fun for them and much better suit the reality of how they ski.

3) In support of Point #2, something like what @markojp suggests, get guys like Plake supporting nationwide and grassroots talent search for K2 freeride team. Hold local contests, K2 looking for burly skiers to represent their new burly halo skis.

4) Management ought to at least have a major rethink about possibility of some production in USA. So much of the K2 legacy heritage was embracing its American roots - look at the old ads @Dave Petersen posted! Emphasis on American. Think of all the red, white and blue skis they produced, including the very popular K2 Four in the 90s, The red, white, and blue skis @RickyG is currently rocking. The vibe is distinctly American!! For me and some others (look what @CalG posted), the production in China is a bit of a buzzkill when so much about the K2 legacy brand is being American.

5) And a shameless plug on my part for K2 to keep sponsoring Pugski. I definitely notice the Pugski partners, and I view the sponsorship positively. Well done @Philpug and @Tricia for not coming across as shameless shills for your sponsors. The sponsorship is needed to run the site we all enjoy, and I for one appreciate how tastefully sponsorship is handled at Pugski.

Now pugski community, carry on with the feedback. I think it's great feedback, and interesting whether you agree with any of the above or not.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great feedback so far by the Pugski community so far.

If I may be bold to summarize my spin for K2 management based on what many have posted:

1) K2 should introduce some really demanding badass and burly halo skis. This might help the perception of the overall K2 brand. A lot of really serious skiers may be dismissing K2 brand far too quickly because of reputation (fair or not) that K2 is not burly enough.

This should also be a collection, not just big mountain ski for the young guns but a 70-some mm carver, even a Masters Ski. Also a kick ass, 88-90mm that is a no holds bar best ski that they can possibly make.

2) Perhaps a lot of K2 models should be a lot more popular than they are. I would think forgiving skis would be high on the list for the vast majority of skiers out there. But perhaps because of Point #1 above, and to use a term from @Philpug, the 11/10 skiers who can have outsized influence on the broader public and perception are not pushing K2 enough. The Charger series sounds beefy, but more models in other widths/halo skis are needed. A lot of people's egos might prefer to be associated with super burly, even though in reality a more forgiving ski (while still having plenty of performance) would be much more fun for them and much better suit the reality of how they ski.

It is a shame that some of the K2's in past years have been written off for not being strong enough but I can see why. I have written numerous times that skis like the Recon/Rictor really got a bad rap because they were so easy to ski people dismissed them for not being burly yet lot a of good skiers were on them and really enjoyed them. This is changing with the new IKonic 80/84Ti skis, these are burly skis. The same can be said about the upcoming women's Luv collection. @Tricia has been skiing the Luv Machine Ti and Tough Luv Ti, the stronger skis in the collection but also the Endless Luv, which is the ski that the every day women skier will enjoy.

3) In support of Point #2, something like what @markojp suggests, get guys like Plake supporting nationwide and grassroots talent search for K2 freeride team. Hold local contests, K2 looking for burly skiers to represent their new burly halo skis.

Plake has moved on...as have Phil and Steve but skiers like Pep Fujas, Andy Mahre (son of Steve) and Sean Pettit are still on the payroll. On the technical ski side, K2 can get some more top instructors like Mike Porter on the skis. Grassroots is done now by local reps through "influencers", Reps are working with shops and mountain reps to reach the local talent that can reach the consumers and to be spokes people through the communities. This takes time and work. Example, if you go to Vail, you will see K2 on the feet of some of the better skiers, that is because there is a strong K2 influence there with a rep that is the best at creating a brand culture.

4) Management ought to at least have a major rethink about possibility of some production in USA. So much of the K2 legacy heritage was embracing its American roots - look at the old ads @Dave Petersen posted! Emphasis on American. Think of all the red, white and blue skis they produced, including the very popular K2 Four in the 90s, The red, white, and blue skis @RickyG is currently rocking. The vibe is distinctly American!! For me and some others (look what @CalG posted), the production in China is a bit of a buzzkill when so much about the K2 legacy brand is being American.

A U.S. built Halo might be a possibility but I am not sure they have the manufacturing facility to do it here. The K2 heritage forum here is the biggest we have both in images, posts and views, so just going by the numbers it is obvious that there is significant love for the brand. Much of that credit goes to @Dave Petersen, @Bill Talbot, @Joal and @K2 Rat for sharing their images, ads and collections.

5) And a shameless plug on my part for K2 to keep sponsoring Pugski. I definitely notice the Pugski partners, and I view the sponsorship positively. Well done @Philpug and @Tricia for not coming across as shameless shills for your sponsors. The sponsorship is needed to run the site we all enjoy, and I for one appreciate how tastefully sponsorship is handled at Pugski.

Now pugski community, carry on with the feedback. I think it's great feedback, and interesting whether you agree with any of the above or not.

We have built a strong relationship with K2 and are in contact with them regularly. K2 supplies Pugski with skis for our test fleet so we can help share the word through the community here. We are seeing skiers like @ScotsSkier , who is an influencers and strong skier being impressed. Solid Intermediate and Advanced skiers like @Mendieta and @Andy Mink skied the IKonic 84Ti and felt it was a bit above their comfort zone..so it is clear that K2 is indeed making stronger skis.

Again, this is information that will go directly to K2. The folks reading the site ARE the consumer and K2 is not too arrogant to realize that because if you/we don't buy their skis...well they know what happens. Manufacturers can get direct interactive feedback like this from you the consumer, something they cannot get on any other media outlet. What we do as a site is a unique advertising opportunity for a brand and K2 is capitalizing on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Theme for another thread: why don't 'skier's skis' (strong skis) sell? They get great reviews sit on the wall until sale season. What's up?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied the iKonic 84ti and the Supercharger in some spring conditions. I can tell both are strong skis. They didn't feel soft at all. Both wanted to be pushed which was difficult for me to do in the heavy slush. If you ski from a neutral stance you may not care for them but for someone who pressures the tips and drives them they will respond. I'd like to get on them again in winter condition hard groomers. That's where they should shine.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Solid Intermediate and Advanced skiers like @Mendieta and @Andy Mink skied the IKonic 84Ti and felt it was a bit above their comfort zone..so it is clear that K2 is indeed making stronger skis.

I wish I had skied the Supercharger for comparison. I honestly didn't feel like it was too much ski, but it could definitely be it, especially since you mentioned that it felt like a really demanding ski. I think @Chickenmonkey skied both on demo day?

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
What's the deal with the market positioning of K2 vs. Volkl? I remember thinking in the late 2000's that K2 was the biggest park brand around & really had the market cornered on twin tips. (Correct me if I'm wrong! I was literally in middle school at the time, hahaha. I had a pair of Missys in middle school and thought I was VERY cool.) Now - I can't remember the last time I saw K2s in a park, on our mountain or at any of the big comps. I know I've spotted Volkls on Nick Goepper and a bunch of other skiers. It seems like Volkl somehow ended up with a big chunk of the freestyle & freeride market, and also with the reputation of building the burly skis that people are now looking for from K2. I assume the owners aren't looking to have their two companies competing for the same segments - is there really room for K2 to move back in, so to speak?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What's the deal with the market positioning of K2 vs. Volkl? I remember thinking in the late 2000's that K2 was the biggest park brand around & really had the market cornered on twin tips. (Correct me if I'm wrong! I was literally in middle school at the time, hahaha. I had a pair of Missys in middle school and thought I was VERY cool.) Now - I can't remember the last time I saw K2s in a park, on our mountain or at any of the big comps. I know I've spotted Volkls on Nick Goepper and a bunch of other skiers. It seems like Volkl somehow ended up with a big chunk of the freestyle & freeride market, and also with the reputation of building the burly skis that people are now looking for from K2. I assume the owners aren't looking to have their two companies competing for the same segments - is there really room for K2 to move back in, so to speak?
K2 still has some park presence, but they are also associated with Line, which seems to be more dominant in that realm.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish I had skied the Supercharger for comparison. I honestly didn't feel like it was too much ski, but it could definitely be it, especially since you mentioned that it felt like a really demanding ski. I think @Chickenmonkey skied both on demo day?
@Mendieta, I think I felt the same thing you did. If you get neutral or back on the IKonic, it doesn't appreciate it. In the softer conditions we both used it in I think we both get neutral. On the lower part of the Slide side I felt comfortable on both skis where I could make big carving turns. Not so much in the piles of granulated sugar and slush.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What is up with the love of "burly" skis? K2's iconic skis were not "burly". K2 Threes were some of the lightest and quickest skis of the era - and built the brand. K2 Fours had the balance of shape and spring to make them groundbreakingly responsive. My old red Enemys excel in the bumps and handle everything else. The Coombacks that I demoed led me to add backcountry skis to my quiver (even though I purchased Praxis instead - the K2s were in consideration). All light, innovative, versatile and fun skis.

My wife hated her Burnin Luvs that wouldn't turn for her - they are now guest skis for firm groomers. My Apache Recons just aren't fun off the groomers. The demos I've tried (and declined to try) have all been described as "stable" and "solid". Skis that aren't true to the playful K2 heritage. Or meeting the needs of an aging skiing demographic that wants to rock the hills they remember (but realistically a little slower and less powerfully - while not ripping off your knees on the chairlift).

If the manufacturers read this, use some technology to make a lighter, springier and more durable ski.

Of course, maybe it makes corporate sense to give that to Volkl or Line. Stick K2 with a ski that only jerks straightline bombing the crowded groomers ride.

Eric

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

Very good point. I haven't considered buying K2 in a decade (bought some Seth Vicious sometime around 2008 then had knee surgery and flipped em unused) but I've bought and loved Volkl. And would probably still have an open mind on Line (although I've heard quality has declined since no longer made in Quebec). Maybe a focused approach on (say) the mainstream groomer crusier/zoomer and Piste biased all Mtn market would suit them. Kinda where Head were pre Kores.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Actually, @dean_spirito had the Poacher as one of his "Best in Test" last year...

17-poacher-tc-png.25669

K2 Poacher

Dimensions: 124-96-118
Radius: 19m@177cm
Sizes: 163, 170, 177, 184, 191
Size tested: 177
Design: Carryover

dean_spirito: K2 has attempted to simplify its lineup by reducing the park/freeride range down to just two skis, the Poacher and the Marksman. At 96 mm underfoot and weighing in at roughly 2000g a ski, the Poacher seems too big and heavy to be an effective park ski. Surprisingly, however, they hold up rather well to testing. They are certainly fun to carve around on groomed terrain, and I have no doubt that they charge off piste. Rocker in the tip and tail allows for effortless turn initiation, while camber underfoot delivers power and solid edgehold in firmer spots. Their weight and solid construction also make them feel particularly stable at high speeds. These characteristics translate very well in the park, as the Poacher provides a perfect platform for landing even the largest of airs. This ski has recently caught the attention of countless park skiers, and rightfully so.
  • Who is it for? Anyone looking to add a 90-something twin tip to their quiver; the Poacher is a versatile ski that is comfortable anywhere on the mountain.
  • Who is it not for? Beginners and smaller skiers: the high-density wood core and triaxial fiberglass braid make them heavy and torsionally stiff.
  • Insider tip: K2 designed the Poacher with durability in mind. The combination of rivets in the tip and tail and with TwinTech sidewalls makes the topsheets more resistant to chipping and delamming.

Sponsor

Staff online