• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What will I need to turn my workbench into a tuning table?

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've always waxed my skis on the old fashioned kitchen table - just remove the leaf and set the bindings in the hole. However, I am moving and will have a nice brand new dining table which I don't want to ruin. There is a built in workbench in the garage. What should I buy to lift skis above the table and secure them while scraping, etc.?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most commercially available ski vise will give you the required clearance.

Typical ski vise.
1596235622020.png

I do not use the center piece much. The rubber pieces on the two end towers provide enough grip for the ski not to move during the wax scraping operation. I use a sheet of fiberlene or shop towel to remove most of the excess wax during waxing. A sharp plastic scraper get it done without much effort. A sharpener for the wax scraper is a must have.

I use the center piece primary as support when I do binding adjustments on the road.
At home I use couple pieces of 2x6 screwed together with a piece of foam on top.

Vise - Center Block.jpg

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Perfect. Thanks. All I do is wax and scrape and yes, I also use the fiberlene method. I get all tuning and binding work done at the shop.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I actually use the center a lot, especially when it comes to securing the skis so they don't bounce. I do prefer the yellow vices over the red ones though.

5560037.jpg

Especially since Toko sponsors the site.

If you need an iron and a selection of waxes, proceeds from this kit go to fund the U.S. Ski & Snowboard Hall of Fame..a Pugski swag package with ski straps will be included.

26AA5C4B-D51F-4CA1-A97A-361556F3DA19.jpeg

9ECFD22F-F4EA-40FF-9EBF-FE89C9536E80.jpeg 743E80A8-E13C-461E-9E62-3C4A08CE70D9.jpeg

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I actually use the center a lot, especially when it comes to securing the skis so they don't bounce. I do prefer the yellow vices over the red ones though.

5560037.jpg

Especially since Toko sponsors the site.

If you need an iron and a selection of waxes, proceeds from this kit go to fund the U.S. Ski & Snowboard Hall of Fame..a Pugski swag package with ski straps will be included.

View attachment 107230
View attachment 107231 View attachment 107232
No, I have the iron, wax, scraper, brushes, etc. I have been waxing our skis for years. I just haven't needed any vises because I used the center of an old wood table. I'm trying to figure out how to take over Bob's workbench! ... Not to sound stupid ... but, spatial intelligence is not my forte ... the center vise would be secured to the binding toe piece to allow for ironing and scraping? The other 2 vises would be used for edge sharpening and other tuning adventures?

Last edited:
TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nope. Just over to Shay Meadows. Our cabin is only 950 sq feet and no garage. We've been storing stuff at our Oceanside house but we're renting that for a year and then probably selling it. The new house is a little bigger with a bit more personal space and a garage for Bob's various motorized toys. If anything this is a step towards making Big Bear our permanent home.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Pat, my DH had the vices attached to a narrow table. Probably was 1/2 a bifold from somewhere. He put it on hinges so it would fold down and out of the way. It had a supporting leg. We moved so I don't have a picture of it.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Pat, my DH had the vices attached to a narrow table. Probably was 1/2 a bifold from somewhere. He put it on hinges so it would fold down and out of the way. It had a supporting leg. We moved so I don't have a picture of it.
The workbench is already there in the garage so I plan to use it for waxing the skis. Bob won't mind since I usually wax his also.

Yes. I want that! And ... I will probably buy that because how great for traveling as well. However, first I have to finish all the work on the new house. Then I have to get the cabin ready for market and hope to get it sold quickly. Then we have to move everything from Oceanside to here and get that house ready for tenants. Oh well, earlier this summer I was complaining about a lack of interesting projects.

Last edited:

Sponsor