• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What was the single most important tip or piece of advice you received as you progressed from intermediate to advanced?

NoScoped

Booting up
Skier
Know that the answers will vary wildly and a lot of stuff won't apply to everyone but am curious what piece(s) of advice helped you improve the most.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don't start a new turn; release from the old turn. Simplified explanation, obviously, but says a lot.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s so long ago I can’t honestly remember. But I can tell you what I’d recommend to someone in that position now: spend the large majority of your time on flat, even very flat, terrain skiing technically as well as you can. To ski the hard stuff easy, you’ve got to be able to ski the easy stuff hard, really hard! Nothing works better, I promise.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Define really hard in that context please

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
It was my friend insisting (on a couple of occasions) that I really ought to follow him down that black or double black.
He knew I could do it. He was right.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Define really hard in that context please
Building the highest edge angles you can as early in the turn as you can. This means letting your body move over the old outside ski just after the apex while allowing the skis to continue to carve out to the new side more than you think possible. Flex the new inside leg aggressively and earlier than you think; while, as Erik said above, balancing on the edge of the new outside ski. One can only learn this on flat terrain. It’s hard work and will have most people gulping for air pretty quickly. That’s what I mean by skiing easy runs hard.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
FLAT skis!

(and a momentary weightlessness when the skis are flat)

I used to go from one edge to the opposite without a transition. All the other drills and “movement” (pole plants, leg flexes, etc) were meant to help achieve the weight transfer. But by themselves, those movements can still be done without proper weight transfer, which I somehow managed to do. So the purpose of those “hints & triggers” were lost when I just did them without a purpose!

Once I realize the real aim of turn transition, those hints comes in handy. But not before.

Also, boot canting to actually allow flat skis at transition point was the REAL starting point.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
"Reach down the hill."
And then years later, after that had done its job changing body position, "don't reach down the hill" since it causes other problems.

Isn't that just like life, the trickster?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Running gates ... against other people and the clock. Not because it taught me how to improve - that was Step Two - but because it taught me just exactly how badly I sucked.

Sponsor

Staff online