• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What was the biggest advancement in mountain biking this decade?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah the decade is almost over but what is the biggest advancement you feel we have seen? Wide bars, suspension travel, tubeless, 27.5"/29"options, access to trail networks/mountain bike parks, electric :duck:, new brands, what else? Please feel free to add your option on these or suggest a few things that you beleve are huge advancements.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Tubeless, and 29ers are older than a decade.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Trail design
Dropper post
Geometry
1x
Components
0D9CE7B1-0E50-4938-B9AE-838B5D88E29F.jpeg
42092610-25C0-49B0-8C3E-8E37EC85E510.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tubeless, and 29ers are older than a decade.
They were in their infancy and just being figured out and didn't become mainstream untill this decade. What are your "game changers"?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Ust was invented in 1999.... I had a 29er in 2006.... but my biggest advancement are long and low geo, with dropper post that make that geo possible. I’d give up front suspension before I gave up my dropper.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
1 x gearing.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
You must like chains falling off..... any time I ride a 2x off road the chainbreaks as I try to pedal when’s it come off the front.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

UST came out in 1999, Stans about 2003 ish. I had split tube ghetto tubeless tires in 2005. Its 2019 meaning last decade started in 2009.

The first mass produced bike with "modern" geometery was in 2011 when the 2012 Kona Honzo came out. I actually own that bike and have owned it since late 2012. There were other bikes(most notably canfield Bro Nimble 9 but the honzo was more extreme, more modern) before it but none as mass produced. If your riding a long reach, short chain stay, long front center, steep seat tube, slack head tube bike with a short stem and wide handle bars the Honzo is the godfather of all of those bike.

1330445722609-1of7m74k9vglj-c6325b2.jpg

My honzo the right to more traditional 2014 29er hardtail on the left

10644549_10153556942328357_3130886806637318200_o.jpg

The Honzo Followed by the Sataroi and then the Process lines changed the geometery of basically every bike out there. By 2015 ish 4 years later almost all major manufacturers caught on. We now have 475mm reach size M trail bikes and XC race bike with 69 degree head angles. Not to mention time trial esque 78 degree seat tube angles.

The modern trail bike climbs better due to is long front center and steep seat tube that put the rider forward and resist front end lofting despite slacker head angles than we have ever had before. It plows over stuff better due to a front end less likely to get get hung up and with slack front end the fork absorb square edge hits better. They corner better due to their lower BB, long front end that can be leaned into, and short rear stays that encourage carving.

One thing they are much worse at is seated handling. My Honzo with the seat up is a much worse bike cornering than my Redline Monocog flite or 29er Giant Anthem 29er. With the seat up on the honzo compared to those two bike it simple wants to understeer and you are not able to tip the bike enough, modern trail bike require tipping to turn old school geometery steers better but carves much worse.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Has to be e-assist, doesn't it? I mean, that's a huge thing..better or worse..

It's been huge for me since I have pulmonary issues. Puts the fun back into mtb'ing. While I get many questions about the e-bikes in my shop, it is still very slowly converting into sales. Obviously the industry is betting on it 100%.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Clutch derailleurs combined with narrow wide chainrings. I can't remember the last time I dropped a chain.

exactly even though 1x is older than a decade, narrow wides with clutch derailluers IMO should be number 3 in the last decade after 1. Modern low, long slack Geo. 2. Droppers. 3. Narrowide+clutched Derail.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Has to be e-assist, doesn't it? I mean, that's a huge thing..better or worse..

It's been huge for me since I have pulmonary issues. Puts the fun back into mtb'ing. While I get many questions about the e-bikes in my shop, it is still very slowly converting into sales. Obviously the industry is betting on it 100%.
This, but I think we're going to see more advancement in the coming years. Things that will make e-bikes lighter and more nimble than they are now.

Sponsor