• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had looked at it and I remember a small number of people ripped the toe piece off their skis. I do not recall anyone, let alone “countless” individuals, in that thread having a failure due to material stress but it’s a long ass thread I have not read all of. Did I miss something?

We agree pre-releases are a problem. I only had one or two that felt premature. I was not aware that traditional pin bindings existed that solved the problem but I’m new to backcountry skiing. Are there pin bindings that are better and retain the ability to heel release?
I ski the Salomon mtn and it never pre releases

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Very true. However I think that if I were to get a touring setup for Tahoe these days it would be a HEAD Kore 105 with Shifts. There is a huge benefit for using Shifts on the downhill and I think the weight compromises on the uphill are well worth it. I don't consider Shift "compromise" gear in a way that Dukes or even Kingpins are.

Sadly, we are always leaving Tahoe just when the corn hunting season starts, that always kept me from getting a dedicated touring setup, I just wont use it enough to justify the expense. The sizing on the Kore is again a little weird, I would love to have something like a 185 in a touring ski, but they only come in 189 and 180. Maybe 180 is good enough, would save me a few grams and would give me more mobility in tight spaces... I really should start thinking about the cycling season, but I will keep dreaming.
I don't see any benefit to the shift downhill, what do you think they are?

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier

Real forward pressure in a backcountry binding??? To me it’s truly revolutionary, because to get that before Shifts you needed Dukes and their ilk, and they were heavy and didn’t tour well at all.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The reason the Shift was designed was for safety and performance. Uphill performance has always been there for the tech bindings but there was not a binding that was as safe as a tradional downhill binding that offered actual elasticity in the toe and heel. In talking with @Daron Rahlves that was his main concern with backcountry bindings was safety but not at the cost of performance. .

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ski the Salomon mtn and it never pre releases

A lot of other people have pointed this out but I thought there were perceived limitations on power transfer to skis and safety issues with the release profile of traditional tech bindings. I thought these limitations were part of why the consensus was strongly against tech bindings in bounds.

If you don't like the Shift that's fine but it does seem like it solves a real need and, contra your original comment, there do not seem to have been huge numbers of failures. I am not sure those failures that have happened are particularly related to in bounds use provided we agree that the central issue in the documented failures that have happened is the toe piece slipping off a ski.

James

Out There
Instructor
Then you should like at the tgr thread, countless issues with them.
And pre releasing is a serious issue.
I just read at least 10 of the later pages of that thread. Based on that it's not nearly as clear as you're implying. In fact, it's pretty good it seems.
A lot of the pre releases people take the blame for later for improper setup. A lot were solved by turning up the Din.
There seems to be confusion setting the forward pressure and the proper method to do it. Plus an afd adjustment issue.
Some bindings have been replaced on warranty.

Sponsor

Staff online