• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
This Saturday at snowbasin is there annual demo day and I will be attending. Im not looking for anything in particular but it's always fun to demo.

So what are some notable skis I should take a look at on Saturday. I don't know what brands will be there but I would love a general list of skis to try.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This Saturday at snowbasin is there annual demo day and I will be attending. Im not looking for anything in particular but it's always fun to demo.

So what are some notable skis I should take a look at on Saturday. I don't know what brands will be there but I would love a general list of skis to try.

Which brands are going to be available?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
And what terrain do you prefer to ski on? Off piste and trees, bumps, rail groomers or go play in the park?

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
He probably doesn’t know what brands will be there since it has not been published yet. In past years, the following brands have made an appearance: Head, Fischer, Rossignol, Volkl, Armada, Atomic and Elan (I may be forgetting some). If Armada is there, you should definitely jump on the ARV 96 and one of the Invictus models. You should probably try a Fisher Ranger and Atomic Backland or the new Bent Chetler 100. I recall you were looking for more playful skis a few weeks ago.

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
Which brands are going to be available?

It hasn't been published.

And what terrain do you prefer to ski on? Off piste and trees, bumps, rail groomers or go play in the park?

I love it all. Just looking for some notable skis to play around on.

He probably doesn’t know what brands will be there since it has not been published yet. In past years, the following brands have made an appearance: Head, Fischer, Rossignol, Volkl, Armada, Atomic and Elan (I may be forgetting some). If Armada is there, you should definitely jump on the ARV 96 and one of the Invictus models. You should probably try a Fisher Ranger and Atomic Backland or the new Bent Chetler 100. I recall you were looking for more playful skis a few weeks ago.

I am in the market for new skis, but I've been changing my mind a lot of how I want to add to my quiver so I'm not looking to demo anything specific. Just want to try some of the notable "big deal" kinda skis in all categories so I can get a feel for what I'm looking for. Only ski I will be trying for sure is the Nordica enforcer 110 if it's there.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If I recall, Blizzard and Volkl sat it out last year. Too bad. I'd say add the Rustler 10 and 11 if Blizzard IS there. Doesn't sound like it's going to be great conditions for testing crud/powder skis. Seems it's ALWAYS massive freeze/thaw for this event every year, with slush abound in the afternoon. Not sure if I'll participate or not. I tend to avoid Saturdays like the plague up there. Have fun!

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Only ski I will be trying for sure is the Nordica enforcer 110 if it's there.

Nordica was there two years ago but not last year (I have a pair of Enforcer 93s as a result). Blizzard has not shown up for a couple of years. Have fun.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nordica was there two years ago but not last year (I have a pair of Enforcer 93s as a result). Blizzard has not shown up for a couple of years. Have fun.
That's right, it was Nordica and Blizzard, not Volkl. Too bad, as they both make some of my favorite skis.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I'm really curious about the Atomic Vantage 83 CTI for a on piste, side country and partial mogul ski. The other fun one to try for on piste is a head rally.

For fun in the fluff, the elan ripstick 106 is quite impressive.

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
That's right, it was Nordica and Blizzard, not Volkl. Too bad, as they both make some of my favorite skis.

But I know volkl was there 2 years ago, because I demoed the 90eight and it just stuck in my mind because it was so much fun.

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
Alright. I tried 9 skis today and had a ton of fun. I won't talk about all of them but I'll talk about the notable ones.

168 (I think?) Rossignol Hero elite Plus ti-

Brand new for 2019, 78mm underfoot. Now I've never been on a race ski but I've been on some great Carver's like the Head Rally. These blew me away. It was difficult to smear turn and they were so locked in the carve. The energy in between turns felt like it wanted to throw me into next week. I almost fell a few times because the energy was just insane. Most fun ski of the day. Made the Head Rally's feel like a big soft park ski ;)

184cm Armada ARV 96 Zero -

Super fun! This ski is identical to the normal ARV 96 (which i also demoed) just has some metal in it. It was Energetic and had a solid edge hold when carving, yet super balanced and playful in the air. It also handled the mangled up snow and the bumps better than most skis in this kind of class. I really enjoyed it.

180cm skis the metal-

J skis was not actually at the demo, but a buddy let me try his. I loved it. It was solid when charging through the frozen chunder similar to the new mantra (which I demoed as well today). But it has a more forward mount and a big twin tip that made it suit my skiing style a little better. Curious about a longer length.

So yeah, I got on some fun skis and will list them all (in order that I skied them) here. If you have any questions about any of them, let me know and I can give you my thoughts on them.

165cm Rossignol hero elite plus ti 13m
184cm Armada arv 96
184cm Armada arv 96 zero
186cm Rossignol Blackops
188cm Volkl Mantra
170cm Head Super Shape Titan
188cm Armada arv 106
180cm j skis the metal
188 atomic bent chetler 100

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Looks like you tried a lot of fun skis!

Had the Armada ARV 86 for a few months but found it was way too soft and tinny sounding for hard snow and replaced it with the Head Framewall which I love. Much stiffer, more damp and solid feeling. Have tried the ARV 96 and was wondering how much more damp and solid feeling was the ARV 96 Zero compared to the regular version? What mounting point were they on when you demoed them(“all mountain/5cm back) or the more centered freestyle mount?

Thoughts on the Bent Chetler 100 compared to the Armada skis? Mount location for the 100 as it’s has lots!

Thanks!!!

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
Looks like you tried a lot of fun skis!

Had the Armada ARV 86 for a few months but found it was way too soft and tinny sounding for hard snow and replaced it with the Head Framewall which I love. Much stiffer, more damp and solid feeling. Have tried the ARV 96 and was wondering how much more damp and solid feeling was the ARV 96 Zero compared to the regular version? What mounting point were they on when you demoed them(“all mountain/5cm back) or the more centered freestyle mount?

Thoughts on the Bent Chetler 100 compared to the Armada skis? Mount location for the 100 as it’s has lots!

Thanks!!!

The arv 96 zero was a dream come true. Couldnt really butter and press on them (at least I couldnt) but had a lot of energy and pop coming out of the turn. It was damp enough to pick up lots of speed on some pretty firm groomers. Though I didn't get it off- piste much, I didn't get the impression I would have any issue there. They were mounted at -2 from center. And just in case you didn't know, the armada rep was telling me that the Zero will only be available at select "brick and mortar" type stores. It will be relatively exclusive and not available most places.

The bent chetler 100 was a ski I was excited to get on. But once I got on, I couldn't wait to take it off my feet. The clouds had come in by this point and the cut up groomers had started to freeze again and these skis got bucked around like a old washing machine. It was awful. The tips were so soft that I could hand squeeze the tips together when I had the skis together. On the smoother groomers it was ok but only at slow speed. Would chatter if I tried to drive it much at all. Made my Rossi Soul 7's feel damp by comparison. They would probably feel better in fresh snow but at that point, I would want to be on something wider anyway. I don't know what the mount point was.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The arv 96 zero was a dream come true. Couldnt really butter and press on them (at least I couldnt) but had a lot of energy and pop coming out of the turn. It was damp enough to pick up lots of speed on some pretty firm groomers. Though I didn't get it off- piste much, I didn't get the impression I would have any issue there. They were mounted at -2 from center. And just in case you didn't know, the armada rep was telling me that the Zero will only be available at select "brick and mortar" type stores. It will be relatively exclusive and not available most places.

The bent chetler 100 was a ski I was excited to get on. But once I got on, I couldn't wait to take it off my feet. The clouds had come in by this point and the cut up groomers had started to freeze again and these skis got bucked around like a old washing machine. It was awful. The tips were so soft that I could hand squeeze the tips together when I had the skis together. On the smoother groomers it was ok but only at slow speed. Would chatter if I tried to drive it much at all. Made my Rossi Soul 7's feel damp by comparison. They would probably feel better in fresh snow but at that point, I would want to be on something wider anyway. I don't know what the mount point was.

Thanks for a quick reply and reviews!

You’re echoing what others have said about the Bent Chetler 100 about being bucked around in chop and not liking speed or harder snow.
Was hoping I’d like that ski but don’t think I would either by the sounds of it. You know a ski is sketchy when the Soul 7 is more stable or damp on hard snow than it is. Lol

That’s very encouraging about the Armada ARV 96 Ti as it would honestly ski even better all mountain a touch further back as 3-4cm back from center seems to be the sweet spot on the ARV 96. I’m not really a “butter/jib” type of guy, more of an all mountain freestyle charger and this ski might fit the bill. Love the graphics on it and the fact they have cap construction tip/tail means it will not look beat up quickly.

The store I usually get gear from is a Zero dealer as is Evo online which has had the 2019 ARV 106 Ti available for a few months but I’ve yet to hear any reviews of that ski. That ski sells for $100 more than the standard version so I’m assuming/hoping the ARV96 Ti will too.

Looking like a Rustler 9/ARV 96 Ti/Kartel 96 shoot out for me soon!

Thanks again for trying out those skis for me.

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
Thanks for a quick reply and reviews!

You’re echoing what others have said about the Bent Chetler 100 about being bucked around in chop and not liking speed or harder snow.
Was hoping I’d like that ski but don’t think I would either by the sounds of it. You know a ski is sketchy when the Soul 7 is more stable or damp on hard snow than it is. Lol

That’s very encouraging about the Armada ARV 96 Ti as it would honestly ski even better all mountain a touch further back as 3-4cm back from center seems to be the sweet spot on the ARV 96. I’m not really a “butter/jib” type of guy, more of an all mountain freestyle charger and this ski might fit the bill. Love the graphics on it and the fact they have cap construction tip/tail means it will not look beat up quickly.

The store I usually get gear from is a Zero dealer as is Evo online which has had the 2019 ARV 106 Ti available for a few months but I’ve yet to hear any reviews of that ski. That ski sells for $100 more than the standard version so I’m assuming/hoping the ARV96 Ti will too.

Looking like a Rustler 9/ARV 96 Ti/Kartel 96 shoot out for me soon!

Thanks again for trying out those skis for me.

I would also encourage you to take a look at the options from J skis. "The metal" was a bit wider at 106mm and heavier than the ARV 96 zero but gained lots of dampness and stability. I believe JJ ski makes a 95mm ish option as well that you should take a look at. Blister gear reviews loves the J skis options.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I would also encourage you to take a look at the options from J skis. "The metal" was a bit wider at 106mm and heavier than the ARV 96 zero but gained lots of dampness and stability. I believe JJ ski makes a 95mm ish option as well that you should take a look at. Blister gear reviews loves the J skis options.

Think J Skis makes very nice stuff and love it when the company President sometimes answers the phone or emails if you have questions about his skis.

The Metal and my current Head Collective 105 are very similar in pop, flex and dampness and like both of them. Amazing mix of fun, playful skis that can charge and could happily live with either.

My current skinnier 95mm skis are again similar to the Masterblaster from J Skis in that the shorter lengths like the 181cm are fun and playful everywhere on the mountain but are just okay through crud. The longer lengths(187cm J Skis and 191cm in my current Head) are definitely more stable but at the cost of getting cumbersome for moguls or the park. If they made a 184/185cm version either of those skis, I’d be happy.

So if you thought the Armada ARV 96 Ti wasn’t as damp/stable as The Metal was, it wouldn’t be as stable as what I already have then in my longer length 95 underfoot I’m betting. Was hoping to just swap the Two 95 underfoot Skis for one “Goldilocks” ski but proving difficult to do.

Still have hope for the Rustler 9 as it looks carvy like my current skis but has a decent amount of metal for dampness and a mounting point a bit further back so might be stable at speed even at the 180cm length. I’m 6’ 2”/175 pounds so not too heavy for skis that length.

Thanks again for describing these skis! Very hard to demo many skis where I ski with only bigger brands like Head, Volkl etc doing demo days and usually they just have carving skis for demo.

Sponsor