• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

bski

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi I am new to this forum. I have been agonising over skis for my nearly 15 year old son. Ski in Australia so mainly groomed runs. He is a good skier able to handle most runs well and at some speed. He is only 50kg and approx 155(?)cm tall. He has never had new skis always hand me downs and this year i have relented and am letting him get some new ones - now i am confused what to buy and what size. I know he will have a growth spurt so I dont want anything too expensive. He tried some Head Kore in 144 and some K2 in 153 on the weekend and managed them well but I am not prepared to spend $1000 on skis he will be out of in a year or 2. Happy to buy from any country and have them shipped to Australia and doesnt mind old stock. Any advice on what and where is greatly appreciated

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Twin tips, high 80s to mid 90s underfoot, 170ish length... Lots of skulls and doom in the graphics, they'll be good to go..

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi I am new to this forum. I have been agonising over skis for my nearly 15 year old son. Ski in Australia so mainly groomed runs. He is a good skier able to handle most runs well and at some speed. He is only 50kg and approx 155(?)cm tall. He has never had new skis always hand me downs and this year i have relented and am letting him get some new ones - now i am confused what to buy and what size. I know he will have a growth spurt so I dont want anything too expensive. He tried some Head Kore in 144 and some K2 in 153 on the weekend and managed them well but I am not prepared to spend $1000 on skis he will be out of in a year or 2. Happy to buy from any country and have them shipped to Australia and doesnt mind old stock. Any advice on what and where is greatly appreciated

My 12 year old kid is about 5 feet (154 cm?), 90 lbs (41 kg), athletic but lanky and is on his second season on Jr 148 skis. For most boys/young men at these ages you can't expect to get more than 2 years out of skis. While it sounds like he is due for a growth spurt you don't want to overdo it with way too much ski although on groomers maybe you can cheat more than usual. Perhaps others could chime in on specifics. Maybe 160 cm max but there's big difference between jr, womens, and mens skis.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
TS
B

bski

Skier
thanks I'm not too worried about who ships to Australia as can use a forwarding company. I guess where I struggle is if a certain ski is appropriate? He is in a new pair of atomic hawx 100 26.5 boots so need to make sure bindings will fit
some I am looking at and would sincerely appreciate opinions on are
VÖLKL Racetiger Junior + M 7.0 EPS Rot Kids 18/19
FISCHER Ranger FR Kids 18/19
FISCHER RC Fire + RS 9 GW SLR 19/20
FISCHER RC4 The Curv Pro Jr. + FJ7 AC SLR Kids 18/19
SALOMON S/Race Rush Jr + L7 Kids 18/19
All from COnrads in UK all 150
Head Supershape Team Skis + SLR 7.5 Bindings - Boys' 2019 size 147
from evo
K2 Press Ski (no bindings from steep and cheap)
2018 Volkl Mantra Junior Skis | 118, 128, 138, 148 cm | 117424 $175 without bindings from pinnacle sport ebay
[URL='https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Volkl-Junior-Racetiger-Skis-w-Marker-7-0-Bindings-118464K/192942786937?hash=item2cec494979:m:mwXXx4YmgEe6jNrGk_jHy9A&var=493128476397']2019 Volkl Junior Racetiger Skis w/ Marker 7.0 Bindings | | 118464K 150 size

level 9
[URL='https://www.levelninesports.com/fischer-pro-mt-fire-skis-w-rs9-ski-bindings-2019-1']Fischer Pro Mt Fire Skis w/ RS9 Ski Bindings 2019
size 150
Volkl RTM 8.0 Junior Skis 2019 size 151
or happy with any other suggestions. i have tried to keep it under the $250 price point as conversion rates will bump it right up. thoughts on any of the ones listed and suitability? as i sais i appreciate all the help as i am a newbie at buying new skis for kids!

[/URL]
[/URL]

TS
B

bski

Skier
This is much clearer apologies about my last post
thanks I'm not too worried about who ships to Australia as can use a forwarding company. I guess where I struggle is if a certain ski is appropriate? He is in a new pair of atomic hawx 100 26.5 boots so need to make sure bindings will fit
All from COnrads in UK all 150 size

from evo
2018 Volkl mantra junior skis 148cm without bindings pinnacle sport
2019 volkl junior racetiger w market 7.0 bindings (from level 9)
Fisher pro mt fire ski w/ rs9 bindings size 150cm (Level 9)
Volkl rtm 8-0 junior skis size 151 (level 9)

These are the ones I have looked at – happy to hear opinions on suitable and unsuitable as I said appreciate any advice. Mainly price driven as I dont want to spend a fortune

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can't go wrong with Mantras but the narrow camber ski police will disagree. My wife will be using the 158 Mantras They'll be about up to her mouth.
Volkl was all in on the zero camber concept for a few years. Now almost every one of their skis has camber (the junior Mantra os oen of the last). There is good reason for this.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Volkl was all in on the zero camber concept for a few years. Now almost every one of their skis has camber (the junior Mantra os oen of the last). There is good reason for this.

It's odd they haven't added camber to the jr if only to appease the cognoscenti. Would it be that hard to make the change? Imho some skis with gobs of rocker add a tad of camber if only for this purpose. Like putting a spoiler on a dune buggy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's odd they haven't added camber to the jr if only to appease the cognoscenti. Would it be that hard to make the change? Imho some skis with gobs of rocker add a tad of camber if only for this purpose. Like putting a spoiler on a dune buggy.
Actually the first generation Mantra Junior which had the same mold had camber. This genration evolvoed from the Gotama Junior that was camberless. As far as why, they haven't made this ski with camber IMHO it usually comes down to cost.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
These are the ones I have looked at – happy to hear opinions on suitable and unsuitable as I said appreciate any advice. Mainly price driven as I dont want to spend a fortune
Are there annual ski lease options near you? Much easier and cheaper at this age unless you have a strong opinion on what sort of ski he should be on. I do see kids of that size on junior skis but at that weight you probably should be looking to switch to skis for smaller adults. The pro mt fire is the only non-junior ski on the list, probably a safe option considering price and where you ski.

In general the best ski for advancing on icy groomers is not going to be the best ski for park skiing or trees. Until you have a better feel for the direction his skiing is going to take, cheap and generic may be best.

Edit: My mistake, the K2 Press is also not a junior ski, nevertheless not sure I would consider a park ski unless that is really what he wants to focus on. Also going to be a lot more than $250 once you add bindings.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

from evo

At 15, he's nearly a man, so actual jr skis may be a short term investment, but you can usually find them relatively affordable.
You may also consider a softer men's ski in a shorter length, like the K2 Pinnacle 85 in 63 cm
Here it is at @SkiEssentials
http://www.skiessentials.com/2019-k...MIxO_5htSv4wIVw__jBx3nUgINEAQYBiABEgIf2PD_BwE
He is only 50kg and approx 155(?)cm tall.
110 lbs 5' - Oh yeah, he's getting ready for a growth spurt.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In the end most kids just want to ski and we as parents tend to way overthink these things. As long as the boots are good you have to try pretty hard to screw up the ski choice. The major risk is that you overski him. You can get good money for a year old ski with 10 or 20 days on it, especially considering the cost of shipping.

We were skiing the snowfields and bracket basin at Sugarloaf and my wife broke a ski so she used my kid's mantra jr with adult demo bindings. I picked up a barely used set of $200 shorter soul rider jr for him. I asked him what he liked better and he didn't care at all. Totally different skis and he didn't miss a beat on pretty hard terrain.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

from evo

My top three choices in order would be
Fischer RC4 The curv Pro jr.
Head Supershape Team
Volkl junior racetiger

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Also looking to pick up a pair of skis for my 14 year old son. He is 5'8", 125 pounds and is a good skier - on our trip to Winter Park this past April he was able to handle the black runs with good form. The rentals he was in were Atomic Vantage 95 C 162 cm. I am considering a pair of Head Monster 88TI 170 cm skis for him - this may be a bit long for him at this point, but I expect him to be a couple inches taller and somewhat heavier in the near future. Thoughts? He is actually interested in something narrower since we are located in the Mid-Atlantic and will be spending much of our time on hardpack, but from what I have read the Head Monster 88 is actually pretty good as a frontside ski.

The other pair of skis I was looking at are a pair of Atomic Vantage 77 skis, 171 cm, but from what I can tell this is a softer, more beginner oriented ski.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
bump. Think I am going to go ahead and get him a pair of head V6 skis, either in 170 cm or 163 cm. Leaning towards 170 cm.

Sponsor

Staff online