• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Floridijan F.

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am looking to buy skis for the next season, but after reading all kind reviews I am even more confused what to buy. I used to ski as a kid, then I returned to skiing couple years ago, finding real winter fun and enjoyment altogether with my wife and my daughter. We are going twice per season, Christmas week and the first week of January, then again in March spring brake week extended for couple more days. So we think that it would be cheaper and better for us to buy and have our skis.

It is not just up to money but we always ended with wrong rented skis. Too short, or stiff, or too much flex, even we always rented premium, or demo packages. Practically, we always got demo skies because Christy Sports didn’t have correct length for us in premium package, then they give us demo skis (for the price of premium), but short for us. We ski busiest weeks of season, but they are only we can go for our vacation. The last time they gave me Salmon QST 85 177cm, and my wife got the same, just women’s model something around 160cm while she is 5’11” (180cm) and those models been longest they had in demo category. Both were too soft for us.

Definitively, they are easy, and forgiving skis but I had an impression that I was breaking them too much on any steeper part of slope. We ski Vail resorts, Breck, Vail, and BC, groomed trails. I am 52, 6’2” (188cm) currently around 214lb, but can be anywhere between 200-220lb, promising myself to be better fit for the next season and closer to 200lb. I would say for myself that I am intermediate skier, even I think my skills are closer to intermediate advance. We ski mainly blues, but also some blacks, appropriate to our skills. Our daughter skis moguls, but right now me and my wife still not interesting into them :). After researching on the Internet and our own experience, I think the skis for intermediate skills with medium stiffness (according skis com flex rating) would be too much soft for us, but at the same time I am afraid that skis for advanced skiers might be to stiff for us. We want to enjoy our skis vacation, we understand that we must get tired, but also we like challenges, and we expect that we will quickly progress to 100% intermediate advanced. I would say we ski medium speeds, even not sure what is considered the medium speed, according AppleWatch app averaging between 20-30miles/h.

I am looking for all mountain skis with waist 85-93mm, thinking that it will be best width for the groomed resort trails, and snowing days like it used to be this season, this March. On my list I put Blizzard Brahma 88, but afraid that it will be too much skis for me. Other considerations are Blizzard Rustler 9, and third choice, Blizard Bushwacker 88, thinking because of my “size” I might need a little bit more than Bushwacker offers. Somewhere I red, “Skiers that are heavier than 200lbs should consider jumping up a skill level, and skiers less than 115lbs should jump down a skill level to make their skis bend, move and react correctly.” Not sure is it true.

My wife is almost the same story like me, just she is 47, 5’11” (180cm) 168lb, she tried Volkl YUMI and she says that they are stiffer than QST 85, but she can manage them, she does not feel any problem with them, just her impression is that they are not having personality, too much flat, dull, not challenging. So we put on the list for her, Blizzard Black Perl 88, skis “you can go wrong with them for women”, according reviews.

So, I would like to hear what other experienced skiers, with higher, or the same skills can recommend us. I know if you ask a seller, he will get you to point to the particular skis then tell you, “ You are on the right track. They are an excellent fit for you.” - my experience with guys at the mountains. Of course, here locally in Florida there is no many choices.

I am open to demo those skis you recommend me for the next season, but having experience with rental shops during the busiest days of season, the chances are small to get what you would like to demo. Thanks everybody.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Boots can make a difference too.

Too soft or stiff when you get a little sideways? (a lot of us do this sometimes)

Black Pearls are popular for a reason other than the graphics, or so I hear from my wife. But they aren't so great on steep firm snow.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome. Well, since you have been rending HP ski packages, I would assume that you also have been renting boots too. I would worry about getting them dialed in while you dream about what skis to get. The boots really cannot be decided from reviews or suggestions but you will need to get them fitted, as we say here "You don't pick the boots, the boots pick you" Since you will be at Vail, SBF in the Lion's Head is where I would start with them. We also say, "You date your skis and marry your boots" so that is where the focus of your attention does need to start.

As far as the skis. You mentioned some great options and while some are better than others, none are really bad. I would not consider the Bushwacker's, while they might be a ski that is good for you now, you will outgrow it quickly. The BRahma would be the better choice of the two...as would the Rustler 9. All of these should be purchased at or near head height, so a 185-188 depending on model and brand. Depending how athletic your wife is, she might end up on a unisex ski, many women's skis don't go above a 170.

With that said, are you looking for the latest and greatest for next season or possibly leftover deals? We always have really good options showing up in our gearswap and if you keep an eye there, deals are to be had. Chances are if you ask "would these be good for me?" and refer back to this thread, you will probably not be steered wrong.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
For your wife, what about something like Nordica Santa Ana 93, K2 Fulluvit 95 Ti? These skis definitely have a backbone, but are not overwhelming and available in 170 and 177 lengths. These may be a tad on the wide side for waist widths, but will perform well for Colorado conditions.

I'd recommend reading some buyers guides like Blister Review, which give a much better idea of how the ski performs than the marketing fluff that is typically used as a "description."

TS
F

Floridijan F.

Skier
Welcome. Well, since you have been rending HP ski packages, I would assume that you also have been renting boots too. I would worry about getting them dialed in while you dream about what skis to get. The boots really cannot be decided from reviews or suggestions but you will need to get them fitted, as we say here "You don't pick the boots, the boots pick you" Since you will be at Vail, SBF in the Lion's Head is where I would start with them. We also say, "You date your skis and marry your boots" so that is where the focus of your attention does need to start.

As far as the skis. You mentioned some great options and while some are better than others, none are really bad. I would not consider the Bushwacker's, while they might be a ski that is good for you now, you will outgrow it quickly. The BRahma would be the better choice of the two...as would the Rustler 9. All of these should be purchased at or near head height, so a 185-188 depending on model and brand. Depending how athletic your wife is, she might end up on a unisex ski, many women's skis don't go above a 170.

With that said, are you looking for the latest and greatest for next season or possibly leftover deals? We always have really good options showing up in our gearswap and if you keep an eye there, deals are to be had. Chances are if you ask "would these be good for me?" and refer back to this thread, you will probably not be steered wrong.

Yes, we been renting skis, but we own our ski boots, professionaly fitted, except our daughter. She is 10 year old, 5'2", not too much sense to buy ski boots for her. BTW, each time we go to ski she spends 3-4 days in ski school at Beaver Creek, and we rent for her boots and skis at the school for the rest of our vacation. We also used to go to the ski school up to Level 6.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, we been renting skis, but we own our ski boots, professionaly fitted, except our daughter. She is 10 year old, 5'2", not too much sense to buy ski boots for her. BTW, each time we go to ski she spends 3-4 days in ski school at Beaver Creek, and we rent for her boots and skis at the school for the rest of our vacation. We also used to go to the ski school up to Level 6.
Having your own boots is 70%..the skis are the easy part now. Honestly, I don't think you had bad skis...just bad sizes. Size up with most 85-95mm skis and you guys should be golden.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Specific models:
Nordica Enforcer 93 or 100
Blizzard Brahma, Bonafide or Rustler 9/10
Solomon QST line is a decent choice actually
Rossignol Soul series

Defer to Phil on length.

There are a lot of more “specific” skis but those are the right type of model, none are super demanding.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
+1 to the Santa Ana & Enforcer - the 93 or the upcoming 88.

I’d also plug the Armada Invictus line if you’re a little hesitant on the Brahmas. They have versions with and without titanium, and they share the same construction as the women’s version (the Victa, which is made only in shorter lengths for that reason). These skis are super underhyped because they haven’t had much of a redesign since they came out in 2014 and Armada puts a lot more marketing into holding up their reputation in the park & powder ski categories. But these are the ones that match a majority of skiers who have the basics down, are intermediate to advanced, and skiing a mixed bag of conditions and don’t have a giant quiver to choose from on a given day. As a bonus, since they’ve been on the market for a while, they’re incredibly easy to find on markdown or as a gently used demo, so you can spend that much more on boots!

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
There are so many great skis out there. But my Brahmas are my ‘comfort’ ski. If I’m going somewhere I don’t know, or I’m not 100% sure of the conditions or I’m with someone that might take me somewhere over my usual comfort level I grab my Brahmas. They are like chicken soup when your not feeling well.

TS
F

Floridijan F.

Skier
For your wife, what about something like Nordica Santa Ana 93, K2 Fulluvit 95 Ti? These skis definitely have a backbone, but are not overwhelming and available in 170 and 177 lengths. These may be a tad on the wide side for waist widths, but will perform well for Colorado conditions.

I'd recommend reading some buyers guides like Blister Review, which give a much better idea of how the ski performs than the marketing fluff that is typically used as a "description."

She tried K2 Luv Sick 80Ti, they are according ski com rating stiff flex, for advanced intermediate to expert. She liked them they been for her easy. So we try to look for the skis that are approximately in the same rating range, stiff, advanced intermediate and up, but then we read some reviews and they say, yes they are excellent skis, but demanding and for experts, like Brahma, even according skis com they fall at the category above. It scares me, that we might go with too much skis, absolutely not for us, while we would like to go as much as possible, considering that they will last for the next 5 years and we expect we will be technically better and better. Ok there is something else working against us but we are not giving up :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
She tried K2 Luv Sick 80Ti, they are according ski com rating stiff flex, for advanced intermediate to expert. She liked them they been for her easy. So we try to look for the skis that are approximately in the same rating range, stiff, advanced intermediate and up, but then we read some reviews and they say, yes they are excellent skis, but demanding and for experts, like Brahma, even according skis com they fall at the category above. It scares me, that we might go with too much skis, absolutely not for us, while we would like to go as much as possible, considering that they will last for the next 5 years and we expect we will be technically better and better. Ok there is something else working against us but we are not giving up :)
This is why cannot go strictly by reviews, written or to an extent verbal and why Pugski is a great source for you because our reviews are interactive in that you can communicate with either the reviewer or the person making the suggestion.

There are not many bad choices but there are wrong choices. There is not ONE perfect ski, the best you will get is an 80% ski, a ski that will do 8 (maybe 9) out of 10 things great. Now which of those 10 things are you looking for the ski to excel at and what are you willing to give up or in not that important to you ;).

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
At greater than 200lbs, the Brahma is not too stiff. However, going 187 at your level might be tough, though you're skiing west and 6'2 - prob ok.

There's a good reason the Black Pearl has been the best selling ski for several years. It wasn't just a fad. The Santa Anna is also an excellent choice. I've known a few women who had a couple Black Pearls and went to the Santa Anna (93). Maybe just to change, but they really like them. They're advanced skiers but those have a wide range.

I'd throw in the Liberty Evolve 90. That might be the ticket.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How about the 2020 Kastle Fx line? Maybe too narrow or wide.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier

I understand where you’re coming from, but the evo and ski.com or whatever ability ratings for skis are junk. Trust Phil or Blister or the gestalt of this site or your own experiences.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

There are a bunch of excellent choices in this thread...everything that came to mind when reading your original post has been mentioned above.

As for skis being named "beginner", "intermediate", "advanced" or "expert"....I completely disagree with labeling skis in this way. A beginner ski for a 200lb person might be an advanced ski for a 110lb person. You can size skis up or down...a person that's 5' tall might find a 165 length to be an expert ski, but then size the same ski down to a 140, and it's super easy and forgiving. I would recommend reading reviews word for word, listen to how someone describes the ski, and not how someone "rates" it. And in those reviews look at the stats of the person writing it, this will give you a lot of information on if you can even relate to the person reviewing it.

TS
F

Floridijan F.

Skier
I understand where you’re coming from, but the evo and ski.com or whatever ability ratings for skis are junk. Trust Phil or Blister or the gestalt of this site or your own experiences.

Thank you for your advise. I am reading them. :)...Yes, skis and evo are in some way starting point as a big catalog for me, or a reference when I read a review online, going there, finding those skis, and comparing their technical characteristics with ones we already used to ski. Obviously, it has not helped me. That is reason I am here. :)

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you for your advise. I am reading them. :)...Yes, skis and evo are in some way starting point as a big catalog for me, or a reference when I read a review online, going there, finding those skis, and comparing their technical characteristics with ones we already used to ski. Obviously, it has not helped me. That is reason I am here. :)

If you want homework, read the buyer's guide here: https://blisterreview.com/winter-buyers-guide (registration required but they don't spam you or anything).

Please stop looking at Evo or Skis.com as something other than sources of potential deals.

TS
F

Floridijan F.

Skier
There are a bunch of excellent choices in this thread...everything that came to mind when reading your original post has been mentioned above.

As for skis being named "beginner", "intermediate", "advanced" or "expert"....I completely disagree with labeling skis in this way. A beginner ski for a 200lb person might be an advanced ski for a 110lb person. You can size skis up or down...a person that's 5' tall might find a 165 length to be an expert ski, but then size the same ski down to a 140, and it's super easy and forgiving. I would recommend reading reviews word for word, listen to how someone describes the ski, and not how someone "rates" it. And in those reviews look at the stats of the person writing it, this will give you a lot of information on if you can even relate to the person reviewing it.

The same I think from my small experience.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

Good thinking. Oen humble suggestion I may offer is that you don't necessarily limit yourself to "all mountain skis". Especially if you are thinking you'll be skiing on groomed terrain for some time. There is a category of skis sometimes called "carvers", sometimes called "cheaters" (because they are easier to ski than real racing skis), sometimes called "front side". Those are more fun on a groomer, but also, perhaps more importantly, allow people to develop some of the fundamental skills much faster. Skis in that category sometimes come with (system) bindings which makes it a simpler purchase. All mountain skis are great in that they can carve ok (if you already know how to), they can do some powder, they can go offpiste, they can do bumps. They inspire confidence, but again, they can make skills acquisition slower. And, developing skills allows us to have more fun, which is all that matters.

Personally, if I went back to where I bought my first skis, with about 15-20 days of ski experience, I would buy something like the Head V line, or some of the Volkl/Salomon/Rossy "intermediate level" carving skis. Those are typically narrower than you are looking, but not much. Mid'70's to 80 underfoot. I didn't do that. I got some confidence inspiring all-mountains, which is really what I asked recommendations for. And they were ok, but only 30 ski days later I started making more significant progress after getting into versatile carvers.

Of course, everyone is different, and we all have different goals. And, to be sure, I am still learning and more of a hack than anything else. But I thought I would share.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It seems like you need to do a true demo from a real retail sales shop that demos with intention to sell, not a glorified rental.

I haven't personally rented or purchased from christys but from the scenarios you explained that seems to be the crux of your issue that you're getting glorified rentals. I'm hearing in your post they are 20cm off on length and dont have a 98mm charger ski with 2sheets of metal that is uncrushable for you to take out.
this is a weaksauce shop inventory, or alternatively you're not paying to get the good stuff.
Usually a real demo shop will have a good selection of this years most popular skis in all the avail lengths and if on mtn you'd switch to try 2 a day.
I suppose the only bogey is if you're in superpeak holidays and someone else has the ski out or bought it.
There typically is a program to apply a few days rental fees towards purchase, consider the msrp the cost to actually get a ski you love since it seems you already have some idea of what you are looking for and can tell if a skis is fun or not fun.

So my idea is you can take true demos rather than buying before hand, and if you like something, purchase. Buy a ski bag too so you can take it home.

When you have your next trip locked in, ask for advice on good Demo shop for that resort focusing on purchase . If you specific lineup to tryout, ask which shop might have most of them.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online