• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

asolo

Booting up
Skier
I have a mogul skiing camp coming up (@ WP). I have got a pair of heavy old SL type skis (Rossi CS70). I am pretty comfortable on these, but throwing them around is a lot of work. Also, pretty stiff. Should I go ahead and rent something else? I am guessing the only thing reliably found at rental shops is "all mountain" skis.

Update: forgot to mention I am 150lb/5'9", the rossis are 168cm/12m/70mm waist

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
email the camp. I'm sure they have an idea what works and what is available locally.
I think there is a shop ot two near Winter park that rent mogul skis.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I don't think the CS70 is going to do you any favors at bump camp:

Are you thinking about getting new skis? Maybe use this as an opportunity to try before you buy.

The shops at the base of WP and MJ haven't demoed mogul skis in the past but they have some good all-mountain demos that would be worth trying in consideration of a purchase:

https://www.winterparkresort.com/plan-your-trip/rentals/ski-and-board/ski-rental/demo-men

Edit to add: demoing at the base is always nice because you can swap out skis and sizes during the day if your first choice isn't working well or you just want to try something else.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Learn shape, flex pattern characteristics of mogul skis. Plenty of that information even on this board if searched. You are likely to find no shops have actual mogul skis because few are sold in this era and even used bump skis would be bought quickly.

Google winter park ski rentals. Then phone each shop at mid day when they are unlikely to be busy with day customers. Tell them your height/weight, and skill level. Then ask what models they stock including demos that they would consider best for you mogul skiing? If the person doesn't know then you are not speaking with a knowledgeable advanced skier thus ask for someone else to help. When they provide model names be sure to ask what is the available length and write down that information. Then research whatever model reviews online to see what they suggested. Any model suggestions wider than say 84mm at boot don't even bother considering even if someone related They thought those skis were fine in moguls. Later phone back to reserve a ski.

And though less convenient, could do the same at shops wherever you live.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
SL skis with metal in them aren't ideal and might even get bent. Some of the older GS skis without metal might be OK but haven't been any I can think of recently that meet the no metal laminate construction. Rent some ID 1s Twisters, or F17s if possible

Sponsor

Staff online