• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What size SUV do you think for trip for 4?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Without a ski box, get the big'n. Make sure the skis are tied down safely. We can do 4 in a Forester with a ski box, but the back is jam packed with boot bags and small duffels. And, one of the 4 doesn't ski so only 3 boot bags and one small suitcase. Skis up top in box of course.
If we were renting, I'd definitely go HUGE if no ski box.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I assume we rent from different companies. With my travel points and discounts, your $500 extra is my $50-100 extra.

The other thing I see a lot in rental car lots is a family of 4 or 5 with a bunch of bags plus golf clubs or ski equipment, scratching their heads as to how to cram all their stuff in a small vehicle they saved a little money on for the ride to their destination. I’ll take a pass on that circus.
To be clear, talking about total cost differce for your trip. So, have to include taxes and total number of days:

Just a quick look. Checked enterprise in Denver for a full week‘s vacation(Friday-Sunday)

Nissan Maxima: $413
RAV4: $640
Tahoe: $1140
Suburban: $1400

So my $500 was actually on the low side. Going from a full size car to a Suburban is $1000!
If I could make that work, I would spend the time in the rental lot playing Tetris. (If staying in one location) to save that amount of money.
Even the OP’s question, standard SUV to Suburban is $750more!

Budget was:
Escape or Impala $332
Suburban: $950
So still over $600 more.

Even with discounted rates I can not believe you can get into a Suburban for anywhere near $100 more than a sedan or SUV, for a week, including taxes etc.

if you really are able to find such similar prices, yes, for sure, get the bigger car. I totally agree that with airports and ski gear, bigger vehicle is way nicer.

Last edited:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Costco suburban for $582 is a winner.

There are some silly prices for rentals especially if you just price thru the national rental chains, but there are deals out there to be had. I’ve never paid a crazy increase for the vehicle of my choice.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
I was visiting Orcas Island and wanted a car to go around the island. Called up the local and only rental car place and they said they didn't have any cars unless I wanted a stick shift. I said great. Got a super cheap deal on the rental. Started driving around the island and discovered the clutch was about out and most of the syncro's were gone. Fortunately growing up working in orchards and such this wasn't a problem but it took me back 40 years. It was fun, especially since my wife and I were on our 25th anniversary trip on our way to Victory, BC. Best $19 rental ever.

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
Try to pack soft bags, you can cram more stuff into a vehicle in odd spaces. If you can, see if the group has soft ski bags. If they all have hard shells, tougher.

We just got back from Denver for a week at Steamboat/Copper and Suburbans were going for $1600, Subarus were $700. There were no SUV's in the upgrade / choose your own lots at Hertz. We took a big sedan for $350, checked that were Mud & Snow tires on it, and grabbed some chains/gloves/spiders at Walmart. If everyone is an adult, and comfortable driving on snow, you could see if two cars work.

While its true CDOT might not let sedans go up/down mountain under some conditions, its also generally the case that if that's happening the road is going to be shut to everyone pretty soon, even if they are driving a tank. Hwy 40 between Steamboat and Kremmling had a total shutdown on Friday in the Rabbit Ears area, and no one could get through until it was reopened.

We're on the West Coast now and I've come around to the view that I'll take a connection (likely in LAX, PHX) to get into Eagle, Pitkin, or Hayden to be on the other side of the tunnel. Air travel delays usually mean we're in the airport (lounge) or in a hotel overnight. Road travel delays mean we're bumming on I70, which is worse.

Reactions: mdf

stiickler

Booting up
Skier
Alberta 5 day trip, staying in Canmore - 4 adults, 2 double ski bags, 2 boot backpacks one large boot duffle, 2 large suitcases, groceries = Dodge Caravan all the way! Using airmiles points to book = $111cnd. It's the lack of ski racks/pods on the rentals that is the killer. Same crew in the Pacific North West + Whistler for a week jammed into an '05 CRV. Yakima ski pod made it work.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Whenever I have 4 or more (requiring a big SUV), and I'm headed to a big hub like Denver, I've used Turo.com, which is basically like VRBO, but with cars. Durangos make a good alternative to Suburbans if availability is an issue -- they have a quarter-wide, fold-down seat in the middle row of seats (and third row, too, if they're in use) so you can seat two people on the middle bench seat and have the ski bags lying on the right hand side up through the quarter seats that are down -- or even have one person in the middle bench seat, and one person in the third row (both rows with that quarter-seat folded down).

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Whenever I have 4 or more (requiring a big SUV), and I'm headed to a big hub like Denver, I've used Turo.com, which is basically like VRBO, but with cars. Durangos make a good alternative to Suburbans if availability is an issue -- they have a quarter-wide, fold-down seat in the middle row of seats (and third row, too, if they're in use) so you can seat two people on the middle bench seat and have the ski bags lying on the right hand side up through the quarter seats that are down -- or even have one person in the middle bench seat, and one person in the third row (both rows with that quarter-seat folded down).
You know, I checked Turo for my recent Copper trip, and it was more expensive than this SUV rental deals I found.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
It's been a while since I've needed a big SUV but the few times I did, it was a world cheaper than the rental companies (in Denver, anyway). If I don't have 4 people, stuff like a RAV4 comes pretty cheap.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve never figured out rental car pricing but if I look for deals, I always seem to find them. And, once I make a reservation I continue to check from time to time and many times find a better deal yet.

Sponsor

Staff online