• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What size SUV do you think for trip for 4?

MtnBikerChk

Booting up
Skier
The same 4 of us have been on ski trips before and we've always gotten the premiums SUV - lots of room to and from the airport (which is really the biggest issue). Do you think we can get away with something smaller like a standard SUV - Explorer or Tahoe? There are 4 of us, 4 ski bags, 4 suitcases, 4 boot bags and probably at least 2 carry on backpacks.

I'm a terrible packer and always over pack :)

Thanks!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
If there are 4 adults and no kids get the large SUV. I am guessing that you are splitting the cost between the four of you and the difference between the large and the standard SUV is not a lot it seems like a no brainier.

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
We just get a minivan and then have plenty of room for skis, bags, groceries, beer, etc. Fold the back seats down, ski bags between the middle gap and all is good. They're all front wheel drive (except Toyota) so in a brutal snowstorm or really sketchy passes you're stuck. I've gone between Denver and Summit County in snowstorms without a problem.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Go Big! If for some reason, a larger vehicle isn’t available, I bring a set of lashing straps so that I can put all the ski bags on top of the vehicle and tie them down.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think you can get away with it - so what if you're a bit cramped for space on the way to/from airport.

Save the planet and don't get an overly big car. And save some $$.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got back from a trip - 4 guys, suitcases, carry-ons, backpacks, but just two ski bags and boot bags. We booked a standard SUV (Ford Explorer class) and were struggling a bit to figure out how to get everything in. They told us we could have a Buick Enclave in the same class, and fit everything easily, as it had second row captain's chairs. So ski bags down the middle and left plenty of space for the rest.

So my suggestion is captain's chairs.... or a minivan if you can find an AWD one or don't need AWD.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
If the tahoe isn't big enough for 4 dudes, you have way too much gear. I've done trips with four adults in a Cherokee and even a Carolla. The Carolla was tight but it was fine. Nothing wrong with any of these options.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
I can't see four adults with suitcases and ski bags in a standard SUV. Ya'll would be crowded and you couldn't see out the rear view mirror. Don't scrimp. All chip in and enjoy the trip.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve put 4 adults with bags and snowboards for 3 of them in a Subaru Impreza sedan Although it did have a roof rack for the boards.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with and 2nd this. “This extra space is awful”, said no one ever.
But: “the extra $500 is awful“ said many people, especially when it’s sitting in a parking lot most of the time afterwards.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For future trips, consider switching from a suitcase to a (wheeled) duffle.
The problem with 4 People in a smaller vehicle isn’t the total volume, it’s that suitcases and trunks don’t match up well. Soft luggage allows you to get more luggage into less trunk space.

A side benefit is that it’s usually lighter, so you can get more items in your bag while staying under the airline weight limit. This might allow you to combine 4 suitcases into 2 or 3 duffles.
For example: 4 x 15lbs suitcases can hold up to 4x35 = 140lbs gear.
3 x 7 lbs duffles can hold up to 3x43 = 129lbs, only 3 lbs less per person, if the suitcase were fully maxed out.

Last edited:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
But: “the extra $500 is awful“ said many people, especially when it’s sitting in a parking lot most of the time afterwards.

I assume we rent from different companies. With my travel points and discounts, your $500 extra is my $50-100 extra.

The other thing I see a lot in rental car lots is a family of 4 or 5 with a bunch of bags plus golf clubs or ski equipment, scratching their heads as to how to cram all their stuff in a small vehicle they saved a little money on for the ride to their destination. I’ll take a pass on that circus.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid