• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What should I do about the dangerous topsheets on my Nordica Steadfasts?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a new one to me. Deadly topsheets on my Nordica Steadfasts:

MVIMG_20180313_125316.jpg

MVIMG_20180313_125552.jpg

MVIMG_20180313_125240.jpg

MVIMG_20180313_125229.jpg

MVIMG_20180313_125219.jpg

This has been a problem since day one and getting worse as it progresses. I've been clipping pieces off as they delaminate, as you can see in the pics.

They were blems and maybe the topsheets were cut a mm too wide? In all the skis I've owned I've never seen this before

I really like the skis but don't necessarily love them. The bases and edges are in great shape given they've been rock skis for a year. I just need to spend some money on a tune and base repair.

They would otherwise be good rock skis for a couple more years. I just need to keep the topsheets from being a danger to myself and others! Ideas?

flying_j

Notorious Truant
Skier
I have a pair of bushwackers that started doing the same thing. I mixed up some epoxy, put a little under the top sheet and clamped it back down. When it set, I took more epoxy and spread a thin coating across the exposed edges and just covering the edge of the topsheet. When that set, I sanded it flat and smooth.

Seems to be holding well. It’s a little raised from the rest of the topsheet, but just enough to hold. Colored it with a marker of the same color as the topsheet and doesn’t look too horrible, either.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
flying_j is right. Get some WEST epoxy, and go to it. Sand it smooth, and add another coat of clear to make it shiny. Good to go

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Stop doing crosses when you are jumping. I round the edges just in front of the bindings for about 10 inches for you jumpers that cross. I also use a file to round the sidewall to top sheet. This way when the skis come together there is no damage.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I've got the same issue on my Hell n Backs. Fell in the parking lot the first day I used them, skis went all over. I've sanded them a lot so they don't catch when I run a rag down them so much, I've got 139 days on them now and it's not causing any issues. That being said, I've never loved the skis anyway.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ You suggesting tball audition to become the Larry Craig of Pugski?

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for all most the suggestions! Not sure how it's happening other than pilot error skiing bumps. I wish it was intentional crosses jumping @Jacques, but spreads are about all I can pull off these days. (Have fun with that @tch)

So other than cosmetics, any reason to try to salvage the topsheet pieces sticking up? Clearly, I don't care about cosmetics since I bought the ugly skis in the first place. ogsmile

It seems easier to completely resect the damaged topsheet using sharp objects and power tools than try to save it. Then epoxy on top. Any objections?

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Thanks for all most the suggestions! Not sure how it's happening other than pilot error skiing bumps. I wish it was intentional crosses jumping @Jacques, but spreads are about all I can pull off these days. (Have fun with that @tch)

So other than cosmetics, any reason to try to salvage the topsheet pieces sticking up? Clearly, I don't care about cosmetics since I bought the ugly skis in the first place. ogsmile

It seems easier to completely resect the damaged topsheet using sharp objects and power tools than try to save it. Then epoxy on top. Any objections?

Cut and file them back, then seal them up. Ski and forget about it! :beercheer:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Here's a new one to me. Deadly topsheets on my Nordica Steadfasts:

View attachment 41674

View attachment 41673

View attachment 41675

View attachment 41676

View attachment 41677

This has been a problem since day one and getting worse as it progresses. I've been clipping pieces off as they delaminate, as you can see in the pics.

They were blems and maybe the topsheets were cut a mm too wide? In all the skis I've owned I've never seen this before

I really like the skis but don't necessarily love them. The bases and edges are in great shape given they've been rock skis for a year. I just need to spend some money on a tune and base repair.

They would otherwise be good rock skis for a couple more years. I just need to keep the topsheets from being a danger to myself and others! Ideas?

Dang who or what did you kill with those??? Looks like blood!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Warranty claim?!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These are a couple three years past warranty-able.

Sorry. Busy drinking coffee, and forgot sarcasm emoji!

Kidding aside, these skis need to be buried with honors. They are dangerous!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry. Busy drinking coffee, and forgot sarcasm emoji!

Kidding aside, these skis need to be buried with honors. They are dangerous!
I agree. Falls happen. Getting tangled in your skis happens. These really are dagerous. Hell, carrying these skis is boarding on dangerous, one slip of a hand could cut and fiberglass shards in your skin.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I am a wide tracker who often bashes his skis together, especially in powder and i am usually not all that aware of it. I have lots of top sheet edge chips on my 2014 Blizzard Bonifides and some chips on my Kastle MX83s. Sealed with a skim of epoxy and continue skiing on them. The only real downside is that when I am done with a ski, they are not usually re-salable.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I think that happens to my skis from smacking them together to knock the snow off them when riding the lift.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I vote for cutting/sanding/filing off the top-sheet "teeth", or the entire top sheet. It really serves no functional purpose. Get rid of it.

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I better fix them. I've created a good case here for a personal injury attorney if they hurt someone. :doh:

Sadly they have the best bases in my quiver after this rocky season so I don't want to just bury them.

I think I'll start with a Sawzall. :D