• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What part of winter is likely best at Tahoe?

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm planning a group ski trip to Tahoe for next winter. If one can pick any week of the ski season to visit Tahoe, when would that be? I know, weather patterns have gotten really goofy in recent years. No one knows what the virus holds in store for us. So...in general...no guarantees...crystal ball time...what is a likely good week to make a ski trip to Tahoe?

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm planning a group ski trip to Tahoe for next winter. If one can pick any week of the ski season to visit Tahoe, when would that be? I know, weather patterns have gotten really goofy in recent years. No one knows what the virus holds in store for us. So...in general...no guarantees...crystal ball time...what is a likely good week to make a ski trip to Tahoe?
March.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Miracle March - if it ain't dumping at least you've got long sunny corny days for a bit of spray n pray.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
The initial reports that I heard - and of course they will change - are for La Nina. Go further north if that holds. Crystal Baker, Big Sky, Schweitzer. A heli / cat trip to BC is actually a great value.

If taght report holds true I think I'll be packing up the Audi for a tour of the Northern Rockies with maybe a week of heli or cat.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
March if you want a better chance of powder, but I'd actually recommend April for more consistent weather. (Fresh powder is actually not a great thing if the weather happens to be warm, and while there's a good chance any precipitation in March will bring snow, rain is always possible.) The crowds also dissipate the further you get into spring, assuming the snowpack holds up.

The initial reports that I heard - and of course they will change - are for La Nina. Go further north if that holds. Crystal Baker, Big Sky, Schweitzer. A heli / cat trip to BC is actually a great value.

If taght report holds true I think I'll be packing up the Audi for a tour of the Northern Rockies with maybe a week of heli or cat.
Cool, but we're still talking about an order of magnitude difference in cost. (Several if you go by powers of two, which is really the way to measure these things. ;) ) My entire winter of skiing in Tahoe could be had for about the cost of a 3-day heli trip, and that includes lodging and transportation.

Last edited:

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First couple of weeks in March. Most of the snow has been dumped, but there's a slight chance of snow. Better chance of bluebird day with near empty trails. Most of the dangerous low cloud/fog situations are gone (back in Jan, early Feb). Families already have had "ski week", so they're focusing on Spring sports/activities. Only the diehards are out. Some families are waiting for spring break, aka Easter.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
March if you want a better chance of powder, but I'd actually recommend April for more consistent weather. (Fresh powder is actually not a great thing if the weather happens to be warm, and while there's a good chance any precipitation in March will bring snow, rain is always possible.) The crowds also dissipate the further you get into spring, assuming the snowpack holds up.

Cool, but we're still talking about an order of magnitude difference in cost. (Several if you go by powers of two, which is really the way to measure these things. ;) ) My entire winter of skiing in Tahoe could be had for about the cost of a 3-day heli trip, and that includes lodging and transportation.

Right on. I can ski cheap (lift tickets) at many places. A recent ski vaca to Taos, staying at The Blake, eating really well every day, approached a five-day cat trip in BC.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
That kind of vague "best" question significantly depends on the skier. On average...

Best for peak seasonal snow depths?
Best for more likely drier colder light packed powder winter snow conditions?
Best for likihood of fresh powder days?
Best for less competition from others at resorts on fresh powder days?
Best for less crowds on liftlines?
Best for lower lodging/travel costs?

Late January usually covers most of the above but then I weight snow quality most.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That kind of vague "best" question significantly depends on the skier. On average...

Best for peak seasonal snow depths?
Best for more likely drier colder light packed powder winter snow conditions?
Best for likihood of fresh powder days?
Best for less competition from others at resorts on fresh powder days?
Best for less crowds on liftlines?
Best for lower lodging/travel costs?

Late January usually covers most of the above but then I weight snow quality most.

Why I said January.

Plus, does it ever really get all that cold in Tahoe?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why I said January.

Plus, does it ever really get all that cold in Tahoe?
Occasionally...but it is a dry cold ;). I recall a few years back we hit a tremendous cold streak..it was race week and every shop ran out of blue wax. I do remember a couple of times where Truckee was the coldest town in the country.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
There isn't a best time to plan a trip here. There are without doubt worst times though. Avoid at all costs any weekend in January or February. Avoid anything remotely resembling a holiday. March can be all time. Probably the "most reliable" time to be here. But reliable Tahoe weather is about as unreliable as it gets.
But it's almost always fun here. If the weather sucks, you go to Nevada and gamble. Or that other thing Nevada is known for.
CO seems to have more "reliable" weather/conditions than CA. The ocean does funny things to the weather...

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
3rd week of january till the 3rd week of march. Its tahoe and the weather will do what it wants. Often December is real good but I would never book ahead and take that chance. I feel like its a good place for a last minute kind of thing as you can follow the weather pattern. Its damn good when its on!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
3rd week of january till the 3rd week of march
ZRankings.com would pretty much agree:

1591493925329.png

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January