• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What not to check in

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
This summer, I learned not to check in my collapsible poles when security in Buenos Aires removed them from my carry-on and insisted that I check them in. Doing so resulted in a missed connection. Now, the same has happened, luckily without missing my flight, with my shovel, for a domestic flight in China. (I am carrying on gear that I would sorely miss later, in Japan). So, I removed my beacon from my day pack and checked it and everything else, which includes my, of all things, my lance! (the probe). Amazing no one in all these years has made me check that in.

Lesson finally learned. Check in poles, shovel, probe. And of course, your multi-purpose tool or Swiss Army knife.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
I tried to bring my boots in a pack onto a plane from BA to Bariloche. This was after a hellacious security line of course. Went back to the baggage check, had boots shrink wrapped and then checked to Bariloche. Extremely nervous I would miss the flight, ran to gate to discover flight was running late and fellow travelers were drinking beers haha. Gotta love the A factor.

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
I find it hard to believe anybody would try and carry on probe and shovel in this day and age.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
So you're saying I shouldn't try to carry on my shovel, probe and beacon? USA to Canada? TSA precheck even? They don't seem like usable threats to me but, what do I know. Do not want to check a bag this next trip, renting skis to avoid schlepping the box.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Well crap. tent poles are out and that's pretty much a probe. shovel might as well be blount instrument like a bat so that's out too. I think a beacon would be no problem, but this means gotta check a bag. damned terrorists :nono:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I certainly carry on my beacon: it’s both slightly delicate, and expensive. It’s also small and runs on alkaline batteries, so no problem to carry-on.

I personally don’t see how a probe could be used as a weapon, but I don’t know the TSA agrees with me, so check it is.

My shovel would make a very credible weapon: fairly sharp edge des and long handle.

Although, I did see someone carrying on some (kids ~140cm) skis the other day. No bindines(must have been new), seemed like swing with that held at edge would be much worse than a baseball bat...

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Although, I did see someone carrying on some (kids ~140cm) skis the other day. No bindines(must have been new), seemed like swing with that held at edge would be much worse than a baseball bat...

:roflmao:

On the other end of the spectrum, we almost missed a flight due to a tin of Hestra glove balm in the checked ski bag. It was really kind of funny, they pulled us out of line in the Santiago airport and made my daughter (whose name was on the bag) go back to baggage and explain the contents. lt turned into a little bit of a comedy routine when she misunderstood the accented question, "What's in the can?" and thought they said "gun" not "can" -- she freaked out and said she didn't have a gun, then they freaked out when she said gun, etc. All ended up ok.

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
So you're saying I shouldn't try to carry on my shovel, probe and beacon? USA to Canada? TSA precheck even? They don't seem like usable threats to me but, what do I know. Do not want to check a bag this next trip, renting skis to avoid schlepping the box.
I wouldn't, Particularly in US.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Just got back from a work trip to CO. Didn't bring any avy gear, but my boot bag had to get checked by hand both at Reno and dia. Apparently boot dragons and girl scout cookies look suspicious to TSA

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
girl scout cookies look suspicious to TSA

I recently shipped my boot bag, not my boots, filled with things I could easily replace if lost, like base layers, socks, spare goggles, ski pants and jacket. Japanese customs held up clearance. They wanted to know what the pink and white pills were. I asked for a photo. Turns out, in a little zip lock bag, long forgotten, I had squirreled away a stash of Good & Plenty!

But, that’s not what this thread is about. Speaking of that, shouldn’t it be titled “What not to Carry On”? It’s all so confusing.

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
So I just checked the TSA website and none of it makes much sense. An avalanche shovel with a sharp/serrated edge is out but with a smooth edge would be up to the individual screener as its not strictly prohibited but could be construed as a bludgeoning weapon though one would argue avy shovels do not have enough heft to bludgeon anything bigger than an insect.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
So I just checked the TSA website and none of it makes much sense. An avalanche shovel with a sharp/serrated edge is out but with a smooth edge would be up to the individual screener as its not strictly prohibited but could be construed as a bludgeoning weapon though one would argue avy shovels do not have enough heft to bludgeon anything bigger than an insect.

Amazing that it's even listed. I found the web page

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all

This will be entertaining reading

Edit: Ooo. No cast iron skillets!

Crampons! Yes with a 'but not advisable'

Thank god, yes to duct tape. Would come in handy if a crack develops in the fuselage

"Emergency Position-Indicating Radiobeacons (EPIRB)"; "check with airline". Is that our beacons? It sounds like our beacons.

Film. What's that?

Hand grenades. So handy for checking avy conditions. Can't even check the in :(

Harry Potter wand: Yes. Yes? And, I can't bring on my collapsible ski poles? Have they seen what a Harry Potter wand can do?

Ice Axes: No. And sheathed in check in bag, to protect inspectors. I've had my stuff rummaged through and in a mess. Why should I want to protect them?

Light saber: Yes. TSA says the technology doesn't exist for real ones. Oh, ok..., I've been checking in, but yeah, ok...

Live Fish: Yes. But, no mention of dead fish.

Shoe/Snow Spikes: No. Yet crampons are a possibility?? Huh?

Skates, including ice skates: Yes. Guess they haven't tuned skates or skis to know

Ski poles: No. At least I can bring on my Harry Potter wand

Snowboards: Yes. Ok, I see that. How does one submit a request for consideration, the ban on snowboarders?

Snow shoes: Yes. Interesting. Mine are spiked.

Thermometer: Yes. I was beginning to wonder.

Toys (Adult): Yes. In have lots of toys when I travel to ski. I mean, it's ask all toys. That's very unhelpful.

Trophy, Yes. How about 57 trophies? Trophies that include reindeers (live), crystal, like Mikaela's?

Waffle Iron, yes. But, I can't bring my backcountry cast iron skillet?

Walking sticks, No. Damn, they've thought of everything.

@headybrew, I've give though the entire just and no where is the any mention of avy shovels. What gives? Oh well, doesn't matter. I've got my Harry Potter wand

Ski talk - at the highest level

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My friend had to go back and check his probe on his recent flight from US to Canada

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@karlo
Emergency Position-Indicating Radiobeacons (EPIRB)"; "check with airline". Is that our beacons? It sounds like our beacons.“
Nope,. Different. But that’s why many people now call the Avalanche ones transceivers, in order to avoid that confusion.
EPIRBS send out a GPS location when you push the button. They send this on a frequency and power that has great range to get to a satellite network, and get’s sent to Emergency response centers, that then can send out SAR.
Planes have EPIRB’s in them, so maybe airlines are worried someone set’s off their personal one (other name PLB, personal locator beacon) and it’s confusing? Not quit sure why, you register your PLB with your name and info, I’m sure the plane’s beacon is registered with it’s info, including the fact it’s an airliner...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_position-indicating_radiobeacon_station

Last edited:
TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
EPIRBS send out a GPS location when you push the button. They send this on a frequency and power that has great range to get to a satellite network, and get’s sent to Emergency response centers, that then can send out SAR.

I think I want this toy.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
This is interesting: did an Amazon search on Emergency Position-Indicating Radiobeacons
result 1: an out-of-print DoT pamphlet
result 2: a $235 paperback on performance requirements
result 3:
Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 13.48.27.png

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
This is interesting: did an Amazon search on Emergency Position-Indicating Radiobeacons
result 1: an out-of-print DoT pamphlet
result 2: a $235 paperback on performance requirements
result 3:
View attachment 66715

Not for me. Must be your search engine, using cookies and search history to extrapolate your preferences :)