What "mask" will you wear in lift lines/gondolas?

LiquidFeet

lurking
Instructor
If you pull it up at times when it's required and lower it down when skiing, how's that going to work if you wear a helmet and a neck gaiter?
Or are you planning on using a ski-specific face covering you already have?

fatbob

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll probably just use a buff - double layered if possible. Notwithstanding the various bumpf about anything less than a fully sealed N95 is not effective if I'm in a "mask theatre" environment I'll probably just go with whatever looks compliant as the on/off BS with anything that wraps round the head or ears will not be practical. Otherwise I guess I'll be soggying up the surgical mask style and/or wearing them as a beard cover when skiing.

Euro resorts seem to be planning on handing out what are effectively buffs as "approved face coverings".

I guess there's a market for "an around the helmet" mask with a strap that would clip in to your goggle retainer. Guess I could try stitching (or more likely duct taping) a KN95 to an old goggle strap for that?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Skier
I wear a blue surgical mask while bike riding on rail trails. I can pull it down over my chin most of the time and put it over my mouth and nose as I'm about to pass other people. As long as I put it on last the ear loops stay on.

The science on neck gaiters being "worse than nothing" is questionable and has been challenged. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/gaiter-mask-new-research-covid/2020/08/25/fcab870e-e63a-11ea-970a-64c73a1c2392_story.html

I agree that one layer of fleece or Merino isn't sufficient, but a neck gaiter with 2 or 3 layers of ideally different materials would be very easy to pull up and down. @Scrundy I believe that a "buff" is the same thing as a neck gaiter, and as others have said is not allowed in some situations. For now.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm thinking about ... gasp... not wearing a helmet while masks are required. I'm more worried about bringing COVID back home than I am about getting blasted from behind, especially if there are efforts to keep the slopes less crowded.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Out on the slopes
Skier
Doubt the ski areas will be as strict as school athletics. If they are they better have an ample supply of $15 n95. Still cant get a 3m at the hardware store.

I use a neck thing but hate those face covers. A 2 ply cotton mask might be perfect.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I wouldn't share a tram or gondola with strangers without anything less than at least a cheap KN95. I'm not confident that the little windows they may open would allow sufficient airflow especially the trams. FWIW, I now have KN95s inside most of my cloth masks. I drop them in the UV sanitizer every couple days or after a sketchy situation. I feel safer passing the fools with no mask or pulled down masks in public places knowing I have some electrostatic filtering on my side. I still give a LOT of distance to everyone everywhere, as much as possible. I just don't freak out as much when someone crowds me with my KN95 layer.

Last edited:

fatbob

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Might want to rethink that plan.
Buffs and thinner neck gators are banned from our college sports stadium along with all masks with an exhale valve as acceptable required face coverings.
Yebbut no. I'm not going to a ball game at Duke I'll be skiing in Yurp, hopefully. Even if someone does write some overly specific standards and rules everyone will likely ignore them.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I believe that a "buff" is the same thing as a neck gaiter,
No it is not. A buff is very thin, stretchy, tight fitting and can be pulled up or worn as a head covering, sort of.

A neck gaiter or neck tube is looser fitting, thicker and warmer than a buff. I usually use one that is fleece, I also have one that is acrylic and one that is thick wool. None of them would be an effective seal or barrier.

I will be using a cheap disposable mask, possibly held in place with a buff but more likely just wear a mask and neck tube. I am not expecting to encounter any lift lines anyway, so likely riding lifts solo and unmasking once on the chair.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yebbut no. I'm not going to a ball game at Duke I'll be skiing in Yurp, hopefully. Even if someone does write some overly specific standards and rules everyone will likely ignore them.
LOL just like they ignore lines and other social constructs at ski resorts there. I'd not even expect to see 6 foot spacing in what we call corrals here.. At least you folks have much better overall mitigation and adherence to safety protocols in general everywhere else. I'd trade places with you for sure..

pchewn

Out on the slopes
Skier
(BOLDED part above) : And they should ignore overly specific standards and rules.

Bad Bob

old n' slow
Skier
Thinking stuffing a blue paper inside a neck gater. Pull it up for the lift line and on the lift and down to ski. Keep it cheap and easy to replace, because I know I'm going to loose a bunch of them.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
If you pull it up at times when it's required and lower it down when skiing, how's that going to work if you wear a helmet and a neck gaiter?
Or are you planning on using a ski-specific face covering you already have?
The same that I have been wearing this summer on lift served biking, Buff. If its colder then a neck gaiter. I will also have a flat N95 mask in a pocket in case I need to go to a bathroom or lodge.

Paul Lutes

Out on the slopes
Skier
Seems overly complicated and ripe for forgetting to pull up/down, so what's so bad about simply putting it on when you leave your car and keeping it on until you leave? That's what I do currently: put it on when I leave the house/car, take it off when I return.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
For the lift and the lines Ill probably do the surgical mask that I can tuck under the chin for my actual skiing. For the treatment room and actually working with a patient we'll be wearing N95's and probably a face shield and gloves etc. If it's an on the hill emergency the surgical mask will probably be sufficient but I'll plan on carrying an N95 and will take the time to swap out before approaching the patient.
On the NSP website there was information put out that the NSP home office was working with suppliers to be able to deliver upper level protective gear to us at the local level. A concern for many patrollers has not necessarily been what protocols will be put in place but rather, will we be able to get the gear necessary to meet the protocols.
I did say the lift and lines but hey I don't have to wait in line :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Seems overly complicated and ripe for forgetting to pull up/down, so what's so bad about simply putting it on when you leave your car and keeping it on until you leave? That's what I do currently: put it on when I leave the house/car, take it off when I return.
This. And constantly effing with the 'dirty' side of the mask is just nasty.

If you did wash your hands properly, you've just contaminated them with filter-gathered biofilm, significantly more concentrated than in the air.

If you didn't wash your hands properly, you've just smeared everything over your face - and you're about to take deep sniffs from the top of the dirty side.

Last edited: