• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is your "go to" comfort food?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
No...THIS is a sandwich...
b0cf759defe21e2394e8c97277f53dfe--edison-new-jersey-canada-trip.jpg

You vanna peekole?
3381697501_b08165bbde_b.jpg

Harold's Deli in Edison. Best pastrami I have ever had.
I have been to Harold's many times they are my second best place but I have to move them up to number one since the first place closed.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Now that’s a sandwich. Where in NJ are you from? When I was growing up, we would get sandwiches like that at Eppes Essen in Livingston. Also these: https://goo.gl/images/G9DZxw

Ha! I am not from/in NJ (close, NYC) but that photo is actually of the pastrami sandwich at Langer's Deli in Los Angeles. The best pastrami sandwich I've ever had.

Second best is probably the pastrami (or corned beef) sandwich from Katz's Deli in NYC (get it once a month). 2nd Avenue Deli and Pastrami Queen are not bad either.

One of the many great things about living in NYC - Jewish delis.

Last edited:

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Ha! I am not from/in NJ (close, NYC) but that photo is actually of the pastrami sandwich at Langer's Deli in Los Angeles. The best pastrami sandwich I've ever had.

I haven't been to Langer's but I've been to Cantor's. In NYC, I was a big fan of the old 2nd Ave Deli - when it was still on 2nd Ave. I lived in NYC for 11 years, and went there frequently. I remember when Abe Lebewohl (the owner) was shot in the mid-90s.

But if anyone is near Essex County, I do recommend Eppes Essen for a delicious meal or catering! (No, I'm not getting a kickback.) Their sloppy joes - not the ones with ground beef - but a triple layer sandwich with cole slaw on it - see photo above - are sublime.
https://www.eppesessen.com/

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
No...THIS is a sandwich...
b0cf759defe21e2394e8c97277f53dfe--edison-new-jersey-canada-trip.jpg

You vanna peekole?
3381697501_b08165bbde_b.jpg

Harold's Deli in Edison. Best pastrami I have ever had.
That looks like two half's of the Corned Beef & Pastrami Combination sandwich. @ $41.99. One of those sandwiches will feed 4 - 5 adults. On the side of the pickle bar is several loafs of rye bread that is used buy the customers to share one of these sandwiches.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
That looks like two half's of the Corned Beef & Pastrami Combination sandwich. @ $41.99. One of those sandwiches will feed 4 - 5 adults. On the side of the pickle bar is several loafs of rye bread that is used buy the customers to share one of these sandwiches.

And when you order one "to go" they give you a loaf of rye with the one sandwich.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
I call that "tortilla."

I LOVE this thread!!! You guys have inspired me to get a tortilla slice for breakfast and katz’s For lunch tomorrow - spendy! I think I’ll opt for the half sandwhich and matzo ball soup....mmmmmm

Ps: @LKLA if you don’t already know, there’s a specialty Spanish good store/cafe/wine shop on broome and Lafayette: despana

https://www.despanabrandfoods.com/

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I LOVE this thread!!! You guys have inspired me to get a tortilla slice for breakfast and katz’s For lunch tomorrow - spendy! I think I’ll opt for the half sandwhich and matzo ball soup....mmmmmm

Ps: @LKLA if you don’t already know, there’s a specialty Spanish good store/cafe/wine shop on broome and Lafayette: despana

https://www.despanabrandfoods.com/

The matzo ball reminded me. One holiday my wife was to lazy to make her own matzo balls since it was only going to be the three of us. So she decided to pick some up from Harold's deli since they are so close. She was a little annoyed when they charged $5 each, but it was too late. Wasn't till she got home that she realized each ball was the size of a cantaloupe. She ended up using an ice cream scoop to turn a one ball into about 6 normal sized ones. Gave the other monsters to our neighbors to feed their families.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
The matzo ball reminded me. One holiday my wife was to lazy to make her own matzo balls since it was only going to be the three of us. So she decided to pick some up from Harold's deli since they are so close. She was a little annoyed when they charged $5 each, but it was too late. Wasn't till she got home that she realized each ball was the size of a cantaloupe. She ended up using an ice cream scoop to turn a one ball into about 6 normal sized ones. Gave the other monsters to our neighbors to feed their families.

hilarious

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Looking forward to getting to the city come May. I don't go into NYC during the winter only because I don't have time during the week and I'm not around on weekends. I work in Greenwich so close enough but I live north of here and work late often so usually just head home. Pizza, a russian vodka bar or two, jewish delis and McSorley's, gotta love that place. I see a food/beer bender coming on in May/June.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Wait, hold on, you went to Quebec and didn't do a food/beer bender? I can't have understood that right.

*would have an onionsoup/peppersteakgasm if there weren't people in the office*

Oh hell yeah we did. Poutine and Beer overload and I even did my first shotski. Hmmmm onion soup and pepper steak sound fabulous.

Sponsor

Staff online