• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is your favorite "affordable" boot warming system?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So when the pack falls from the lift and opens up in the snow, charcoal everywhere. Melts the snow pretty darn quick.

Ah. I've lost one chemical hand warmer in hundreds of days skiing with them. I suppose averaged out across all skiers that could end up being a lot, but I haven't noticed a significant impact on my mountain yet. (Of course, the one I lost was at Loveland, where I don't usually ski. FWIW, They are NOT charcoal. From wikipedia:

Air-activated hand warmers contain cellulose, iron, water, activated carbon, vermiculite (water reservoir) and salt and produce heat from the exothermic oxidation of iron when exposed to air.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
They are black and melt. :) Small Midwest hill with lots of kids, have a few more to worry about.

I probably remove more than I do injured people. :)

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Boot glove will slow down the cooling rate of your boots. You do need to take them off when back in the lodge since they actually will slow them warming up again as well. You also need to be careful of the strap under your foot when walking on rough surfaces (i.e. textured metal stairs). Other downside is they trap moisture - ie your boots will be wetter at the end of the day when using them. I have heard you can put a chemical warmer between the boot and the boot glove, but I haven't tried that yet.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have heard you can put a chemical warmer between the boot and the boot glove, but I haven't tried that yet.

I've done this, but it's not clear to me that it works - I think the neoprene chokes off oxygen access. But sometimes it's hard to tell, because of course the heat dissipates so quickly on the outside.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I've done this, but it's not clear to me that it works - I think the neoprene chokes off oxygen access. But sometimes it's hard to tell, because of course the heat dissipates so quickly on the outside.

Yeah, I think that is why I haven't tried this yet.

Other 'affordable' cold foot remedy - wear more clothing everywhere else.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Other 'affordable' cold foot remedy - wear more clothing everywhere else.

I think this works better for some bodies than others. I can be burning hot over most of my body, but my feet and hands will still be ice blocks. (Ask my boyfriend!)

Sponsor