• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is your favorite "affordable" boot warming system?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My concern is always anything that reduces room in my boot, at all. With my large ankle/instep area I struggle just to get into a boot without adding anything beyond my custom insole and even that creates some issues at times I think.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My concern is always anything that reduces room in my boot, at all. With my large ankle/instep area I struggle just to get into a boot without adding anything beyond my custom insole and even that creates some issues at times I think.
A properly installed heater will not take up any room.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Last Monday was 7F at 9am in the Kirkwood lot. Toes on my Lange RS110SC would be sure to get painfully cold. But put those $2 HEAT factory chemical warming packs atop my socks at the toes (Darn Tough) that have weak adhesive and not only my toes but whole feet were fine all morning.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I am happy with Sidas heated foot beds. I did have to get one of the lithium batteries replaced under warranty.

Neoprene boot gloves work well enough on a cold day to allow you to stay out for about one extra run before needing to go inside compared to no boot glove. I may try both a boot glove AND Sidas heated foot bed on the next really, really cold day....or I might try surfing the internet with an electric space heater at my side.;)

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am just in the process of installing the Therm-ic C-Pack 1700 with Bluetooth control, while it is more than $200..the controls and features look like they are worth the difference. I will be reporting back once I have had a chance to play with them a bit.
The wires on the Therm-ic heating elements look significantly smaller than than the hotronic, is that actually true? Also, how flexible is the wiring when it first comes off the element (looks thicker). Thanks!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The wires on the Therm-ic heating elements look significantly smaller than than the hotronic, is that actually true? Also, how flexible is the wiring when it first comes off the element (looks thicker). Thanks!
They are a smaller diameter but they seem to be a bit more flexible. Where it comes out of the element it is wide, about the same as Hotronic, but it is very thin, as is the element itself. It is flexible enough to get it through the footbed without issue. The Therm-ic element is also a bit bigger than the Hotronic. The Hotronic element is round so it's easy to run the wire out under the arch instead of all the way under the foot. The Therm-ic is kind of a half circle. To run it under the arch you'd have to turn it a little. I don't think that would impact performance but it's not the way the video shows installation. They run it under the footbed with a cambrelle cover.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I just installed a set of Hotronic S4 heaters into my wife’s foot beds. We shall see how she likes them very soon as this was part of her Christmas present.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just installed a set of Hotronic S4 heaters into my wife’s foot beds. We shall see how she likes them very soon as this was part of her Christmas present.

You might as well start window shopping for warmer gloves for you wife because now that Hotronics are keeping her toes warm she will start to now notice how cold her hands get.:)

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
They are a smaller diameter but they seem to be a bit more flexible. Where it comes out of the element it is wide, about the same as Hotronic, but it is very thin, as is the element itself. It is flexible enough to get it through the footbed without issue. The Therm-ic element is also a bit bigger than the Hotronic. The Hotronic element is round so it's easy to run the wire out under the arch instead of all the way under the foot. The Therm-ic is kind of a half circle. To run it under the arch you'd have to turn it a little. I don't think that would impact performance but it's not the way the video shows installation. They run it under the footbed with a cambrelle cover.
I run my hotronic element off the front of my footbed (so no mods necessary to the footbed) would that ne possible with the thermic?

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
You might as well start window shopping for warmer gloves for you wife because now that Hotronics are keeping her toes warm she will start to now notice how cold her hands get.:)

Lol. We went thru tons of mittens last winter. Hopefully those are still holding up..

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Last Monday was 7F at 9am in the Kirkwood lot. Toes on my Lange RS110SC would be sure to get painfully cold. But put those $2 HEAT factory chemical warming packs atop my socks at the toes (Darn Tough) that have weak adhesive and not only my toes but whole feet were fine all morning.

I go low tech. Use both the toe and hand warmers. Buy them at BJ's in bulk for less than $.75 each at the beginning of the season. Don't have to remember to recharge, no broken wires or dead batteries.
WARMERS.jpg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I run my hotronic element off the front of my footbed (so no mods necessary to the footbed) would that ne possible with the thermic?
It's essentially the same but the wire is a bit different. The Hotronic is flat and wide; I think the Therm-ic is round. @Philpug, can you confirm the wire of the Therm-ic?

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Using mylar sheet, I made a origami cup and placed it over the toe box of the boot liner. Holding it in place with duct tape while placing it back into the boot shell.The idea works similar to the vid below but I avoided the glue to making the cup to cover the toes. I heard that cutting off the toe section of a pair of thin socks and placing it over the liner toe box works as well, might try that on my next boot.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I heard that cutting off the toe section of a pair of thin socks and placing it over the liner toe box works as well, might try that on my next boot.

I think it is Boot Doc that makes a very thin neoprene "sock" that fits over a liner. Sort of like a Boot Glove for your liner. It does affect the fit of the boot so if your feet are getting cold AND your liners have packed out a little too much, then this product could serve 2 functions.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I also use the chemical toe warmers on cold days. Do Not put them on the bottom of your toes as the instructions say. The trick is getting your foot into the boot with the heater on the top of your toes. I use a sock liner and very thin sock with the toe heater between them. Yes you do need a little room in the boot toebox area for this to work. But if it works for you, just buy at Walmart or Amazon or one the warehouse clubs and it's $1 a pair or less.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink