• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is your favorite "affordable" boot warming system?

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm looking for something that is <$200 (preferably), comfortable, and doesn't affect ski control.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am just in the process of installing the Therm-ic C-Pack 1700 with Bluetooth control, while it is more than $200..the controls and features look like they are worth the difference. I will be reporting back once I have had a chance to play with them a bit.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Fresh socks ,carried along and changed as required during the ski day works well for me.

Most above zero days, with a 9 o'clock start, a change of socks at 10 to 10:30 will get me through the day just fine. Sometimes another change at 1 or so makes the afternoon.

Call it "moisture management".

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Fresh socks ,carried along and changed as required during the ski day works well for me.

Most above zero days, with a 9 o'clock start, a change of socks at 10 to 10:30 will get me through the day just fine. Sometimes another change at 1 or so makes the afternoon.

Call it "moisture management".

Interesting idea. I've not thought of changing the socks mid-day before! On a 7-8 hour ski day, I usually take one break, and stay in until the feet feel warm again.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
On the lot I heat the boots by putting them under the dash with the heater maxed out for 10-15min. During the day if I get cold I go inside the lodge warm up and repeat as necessary :D:D:D

El Cheapo method

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I have the Therm-ic Basic. Works great for me. I like the fact that I can replace the AA batteries easily. I just "upgraded" to the Amazon Basics high capacity Ni-Mh batteries and they're now running all day easily on Setting #2. Came quite in handy early this past week when it was ridiculously cold here in CO.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if this applies to pre-skiing or during skiing, but for me, the el cheapo pre-heating method:

Two flannel bags of rice, loving sewn by my wife, and heated in the microwave for two and a half minutes:

IMG_2569.JPG

And this cheapo $20 bag:

71FTEB2J+NL._SL1001_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076N5Y443/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very uncomplicated, and gets me into the new Head Raptors like a hot knife through butter.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Warm boots to a degree, but for me, overly warm boots leads to sweating, leads to damp cold feet before I'm off the first lift up.

anti antiperspirants are useful.

A bit less than "warm" works best for me to start out. but I run on the warm side. My wife says that's OK!

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I bought my wife Hotronics for $160 on sale a few years ago.

I like to take my boots off during the break inside. Seems to help the feet warm back up

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I vote for Thermics as well. I have the 1200.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Stupid question but are you all using the heated insoles along with or in place of your custom insoles?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Stupid question but are you all using the heated insoles along with or in place of your custom insoles?
A heated insole would be in place of custom insoles. Both Therm-ic and Hotronics offer heating elements that can be used with custom beds. Same result.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have custom cork foot beds. They were a cork sole that had extra cork and glue added to it, and it was custom molded to my feet using heat and vacuum. The Sidas heater was added to the custom foot beds by digging out spots for the heating pads in the top of the foot beds, the fitter couldn't get the heating pads as far forward (under toes) as usual because the foot bed was too thin there.

I had delayed this addition to my boots for years because I was afraid to ruin the fit. By all accounts there would be no noticeable effect. However, I did notice a slight "gas-pedal" effect, but it was slight, and easy for me to adapt to. As a matter of fact, I kind of like the effect for SL turns.

Sponsor