• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lol, the MOT actually stands for “mother of twins” but I like your take on it and it applies now!
I have a twin brother named Donald. A guy we worked with years ago started calling him Dognal (he's really very handsome though). Eventually we shortened it to "pup" so that's how I came up with "puptwin" here on the forum.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
These Chaval gloves look fantastic. I guess I'll "suffer" through the season with my new OR heated gloves, but I'm putting these Chaval's on my radar for next season.
I just bought a pair. It's tough to spend that much for gloves. But one day last year my hands hurt so much from the cold that I bought new gloves for full price at the base lodge -- that was expensive too, and they weren't heated.

TS
avgDude

avgDude

Booting up
Skier
Got some heated gloves off of Amazon for about $100. So far they have been great. I'm finding I don't need them hot. I'm happy with just not cold. So I've been putting them on the low setting instead of Max heat. Of course we haven't had seriously cold temps yet.

markjs

Skiing is believing
Skier
I've got these on my radar. Have a pair of what would now be called the RX model that are getting a bit frayed after several years of use. Really love the RX, except for the large sleeve which is difficult to keep in a jacket sleeve like i like them.
I have these and love them. I have a lighter pair of OR's for when its warmer and but the FTP's are what I wear to keep me warm.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
May as well update this thread. I bought some Karbon electric gloves from Costco (they were on sale). They have the usual three settings. It's been uncharacteristically warm here in Sudsbury, so I haven't really put them to the test. I have had them out in -35 C/-31F with windchill though, and they passed that test. The thumb could be just a little warmer for my taste (very bad diabetes related cold fingers and toes), but no more so than my Outdoor Research Men's Alti mittens (which will never run out of battery power). Batteries last 2 hrs on high, 3 hrs on medium and I'm not quite sure what the low setting is supposed to be used for. The trouble is it's too hard to keep track of how many minutes are left, when you keep switching between settings to save power or take several short walks during the week. You don't want to be stranded far from warmth with no batteries.

I didn't see any extra batteries on the shelf at Costco. Plus, I'm waiting to see how long these are going to last before I start a search for extra batteries. Here's hoping they are cheaper than Sidas batteries.

James

Out There
Instructor
I thought about heated gloves, specifically buying the Hestra heated inners and substituting them for the inners that came with my Free the Powder lobsters, but after checking these out and finding a decent discount, I'm going to see if they'll do the trick this season:
View attachment 82658
How did those work out?
-Are they huge Do they fit in pole straps?
-Do they offer a full hand mitten liner instead of yhe 3 finger?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
So far, so good. They are huge, and with the inners pretty clumsy, but definitely warm. Too warm, in fact, most of the time I just wear them without the inners -- which are 3-finger type. I don't bother trying to fit them into pole straps; it would be too much trouble to repeat multiple times a day, and I'm generally used to skiing without the straps anyway. Have to be very careful wearing them with inners, as the grip is a bit iffy. Not a big problem without the inners.
I may try using the Hestra inners with the FtP lobsters as a less clumsy but still warm combination.

James

Out There
Instructor
Just saw this no heated gloves with avy beacons warning on the OR site.
7EA16344-D7BA-455E-A2DA-C4805447903A.jpeg

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
:geek:

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone tried either of these options?-

OR- Mt Baker Goretex Modular

8871C3C1-7502-4679-BB76-440870FBBF38.jpeg

Dakine Diablo Goretex System
E2E596D2-2851-48C7-8C17-5F5A51554DE7.jpeg

hudskis

Booting up
Skier
With peripheral neuropathy, I also have had a hard time keeping hands warm. Unless the weather is warm enough to permit it, I don't use gloves. In most colder winter weather I use Hestra mitts, but I remove the regular liner and use the Hestra PrimaLoft liner - warm as toast! I may try the nitric gloves as a vapor barrier to keep the PrimaLoft liner dry. So far, no problem. I've tried all many of battery heated gloves and mittens, and none have been as effective, and as little bother, as the Hestra mitts with the Hestra PrimaLoft liners.
@oboe - MANY THANKS!! Your statement "warm as toast!" was all I needed to read, the PrimaLoft Liners did the trick.

hudskis

Booting up
Skier
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!
I was in Purgatory, Co during the past 3 days without once having cold fingers! :yahoo:

During the 2020/2021 season I bought 3 different pairs of gloves ending with Hestra 3-finger claw plus various liner type gloves, nothing worked. During December of 2020 I bought a box of "Hot Hands" since I used 2 in each glove per day, then in Jan-2021 I switched to the Hestra mitts while in Telluride because a few people mentioned mitts are warmer, still needed the "Hot Hands". After the end of 2021/2022 season, I started searching for a solution to my cold fingers, which brought me to this Ski Talk and this thread. I read every post all the comments in this thread and a few others, then read everything at "Free The Powder". I ordered a pair of "Free The Powder" mitts to test and as backup for this season, but still wanted to stay with the Hestras so based on comments I decided to get the PrimaLoft Liners.

In October-2022, US Hestra site didn't have PrimaLoft in my size (11) so I ordered the Wool liner to replace the original, my thought was can't be any worse. In early November Hestra finally got the PrimaLoft in stock. Thanksgiving weekend went to SnowBowl in Falgstaff as first outing of year that provided first test with PrimaLoft Liner without anything had me nervous, but I kept Hot Hands in my jacket and the "Free The Powder" in bag, went the entire day not issues. I did a second test a couple weeks later still all good.

As I mentioned, 3-days at Purgatory with 9"-12" new snow each day without any cold hands fingers, all thanks to this great community of SkiTalk! :golfclap:

Next I need to test "Free The Powder" mitts just as a comparison, perfect reason to go north :daffy:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anybody got a source for Arcteryx Fission SV gloves in XL?

They seem to be vaporware.

My favorite ski gloves ever, but they're a bit packed down and worn out going into their fourth season.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
1672708946961.png

Seriously my wife and I use these mitts and never have cold hands. If it's REALLY
cold we might throw in a handwarmer. Not exactly fashion forward but we get lots of positive comments from lifties freezing their hands off.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1672713597405.png

Reporting back on these Flylow SuperMitts, bought on sale based on tip from @James in another thread last summer.
It was my first time skiing in other than "Leather and Down mittens" in 30 years. These are nylon, leather, and Primaloft.
Skied 2 days at Killington over Christmas, 8-10 degrees F and thumb and fingers stayed cozy with no chemical heaters.
They run small. I'm size 7 and I like space in my mitts. Got Unisex M, might like L better. Not as bulky as down.
Flylow SuperMitts for the win!!!

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
IME as someone who is on blood thinners AND has cold hands/feet, unobstructed circulation is key. I have those thumb hooks in one of my jackets and I've found that it cuts circulation just enough to freeze up a digit or two. So I don't use them. Also, this probably goes without saying, but create a good seal around the mitten/glove and sleeve interface. I have a pair of Millet gloves that literally go halfway up my forearm, then I cinch 'em down. Works pretty well. The gloves themselves are lightly insulated with removable heavy fleece liners; I've gone up a size, and they do a good job down until around 10 f. After that I switch to down mittens, and below 0, well, I'm usually not skiing although hand warmers help a bit. I don't know about the old keep core/head warm -- as I said, I'm on blood thinners and always have cold feet. I can be sweating around my core but still have freezing fingers...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Good thick full grain leather grip>any kind of fabric. You get what you pay for.. and don't get cut up carrying your sharp skis around.

Whatever I have on if my hands are getting cold I let the poles hang by the wrist straps and make a ball with my hand inside the glove/mitten for the ride up. That's always been good enough for the hands.. But, on a really cold day I'll be headinng inside to warm up the rest of me after 2-3 hours.. 2-3 runs if it's REALLLY F'n COLD!

Sponsor

Staff online