• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got these gloves. I typically wear a large and after doing the FTP measurement verified that I need a large. I ordered a large and they are definitely mediums for size. My son has problems keeping his hands warm and he wears a medium so I gave them to him. He likes them for +30 temps (spring skiing usually) but anything below that and he says they are cold. Maybe the newer versions are better. View attachment 83804 He wears mitts with hand warmers now.

I've had 4 pairs of FTPs now... and I'm guessing, just from my own experience, that maybe you got the correct size but didn't wear them enough. They definitely start out very snug, and then after a couple of days fit, well, like a glove. I've also worn the exact gloves shown in temps down to -7F, and not had a problem. I have had cold hands with other gloves, so it's not just a matter of having warm hands - though I'm not as sensitive as some people.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
Maybe I just have longer fingers as my fingertips are jammed in the ends. I just tried them on again and after a season or two of my son wearing them they should be packed out by now. The are tight and not a lot of mobility available in the fingers. I don't have that problem with any other large sized glove. My son has a really tough time with cold hands so even though these fit him well they still don't keep his hands warm. :huh:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I have FTP lobsters; nice, but fingers/thumb still get chill at -10C and below. Hoping the new Hestra mitts do the trick.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
FTP used to have a Polar Mitten model available which has a 300 fill. I own a pair and have never encountered a temperature in which they were inadequate (certainly good to -20F). Unfortunately they don’t seem to be making them anymore. I wanted to get a pair for my wife but had to settle for the RX. We’ll see how those perform.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just received a note from FTP saying that all the Pro model mittens now have the polar 300gm full. Can’t recommend these highly enough for warmth.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
I didn't see this mentioned, wrist gaitors. I use them along with liners, gloves or mittens. Some snow boarder jackets have them built in. The concept is that it keeps the blood vessel to the hands warm. I can feel the difference and will take them off when the temps gets higher.

6195nvl4uxL._UX679_.jpg

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Those who don't have serious circulation issues may find it hard to relate - my husband's hands sweat in gloves while I am still looking for the miracle cure for my petulant extremities that refuse my attempts at pleasing them. Sitting in a 65 degree house my hands turn purple - I often wear fingerless gloves in the house. I wear a hat and gloves outside as soon as we hit the 50s. Granted, I have Raynaud's and take medication from fall through spring...and live in New England.

What I tried
  • glove liners in my mittens - they make it worse.
  • down mittens, leather mittens, leather/down mittens
  • Hestra heated liner gloves. Purchased them on 50% off clearance and tried them last season inside my mittens only to find them useless for me, even on the highest setting; I sold them to a ski friend and on the lowest setting they worked wonders for her - she even had to shut them off as they got her too warm.
  • cutting caffeine. No noticeable difference.
What I do
  • wear several core layers (wool tank, wool base, mid layer, wool vest, 800 fill down layering jacket or Patagonia Nano Air, shell or down outer)
  • wear a helmet liner under my helmet so my head is as warm as possible.
  • heat packs directly on skin while wearing Black Diamond Mercury Mitts or Hestra Heli mitts.
  • pull thumbs in on the chairlift and ball up my hands to try and recover as best as I can.
  • Boot heaters keep my toes fairly happy. I also own Lenz heated socks from several years ago - they are good but boot heaters are better. The newer generation socks may be an improvement over the model I have. I wear the heated socks for other winter adventures.
What I won't do
  • give up caffeine!
  • move south
Potential next steps
  • Hestra heated mitt liners at $300?
  • Chaval heated mitts at $425?
UGH

^^An excellent post highlighting how much variation there is in how bodies deal with winter temps. Those whose bodies run cold have a very different experience going skiing than those whose bodies run warm. We have to do much more preparatory work to get out there. More hi-tech gear, more disappointing purchases, more layers to get on and off, more stuff to schlepp every ski day, more $$$.

I wonder how much this factor feeds into the abysmal rate of beginner skiers who never return to ski again. At last count, 83% of first-day skiers don't return.

Last edited:

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Update on the Fieldsheer heated gloves that I bought at Costco: I haven't had these on the slopes yet, but have tested them at home. All I can say at this point is that they heat up very nicely. If this is what I have to look forward to on slope in cold weather, I'll be very happy.
My other thought is that if they fall apart and I only get one season out of them, I'm fine with that. I'd rather have $100.00 gloves that last one full season than $500.00 gloves that last two seasons.
I can say that these sold out at Costco very, very quickly.
I'll post a long term review later in the season.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sitting in a 65 degree house my hands turn purple - I often wear fingerless gloves in the house.

*whispers* why is your house 65 degrees???

Totally off-topic to the subject at hand, but I really can't deal with anything below 70 or I'm just constantly cold.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
Update on the Fieldsheer heated gloves that I bought at Costco: I haven't had these on the slopes yet, but have tested them at home. All I can say at this point is that they heat up very nicely. If this is what I have to look forward to on slope in cold weather, I'll be very happy.
My other thought is that if they fall apart and I only get one season out of them, I'm fine with that. I'd rather have $100.00 gloves that last one full season than $500.00 gloves that last two seasons.
I can say that these sold out at Costco very, very quickly.
I'll post a long term review later in the season.

Plus you look bada** with the knuckle protection.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
As for heated gloves, my friend worked at Outdoor Research's warranty department and matched me a pair as returns came in with issues on only one of the gloves. I haven't worn them yet, but it sounds like the technology still needs improvement from a durability standpoint. But if you buy from a manufacturer with a really comprehensive warranty, you can just get them replaced as needed.

Liz has OR heated gloves. Needed to use the warranty after one season because one glove lost the ability to give off heat.

She warrantied through the local shop without issues.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
:roflmao:you have met my DH! Depending on the season, the AC and heat wars are very real in our house. His theory is you can always put more clothes on, but there is only so much you can take off, lol!

I get that sometimes when I go home after sitting at a desk at work all day. The best solution is to go out for a quick run or get on the exercise bike for a few minutes.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
I get that sometimes when I go home after sitting at a desk at work all day. The best solution is to go out for a quick run or get on the exercise bike for a few minutes.
...or vacuuming, or folding laundry....the options are endless, lol.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Potential next steps
  • Hestra heated mitt liners at $300?
  • Chaval heated mitts at $425?
UGH

My problem is my toes, not my fingers. It was very hard to spend the money on some Lenz 5.0 socks ($350) and a spare pair ($150) but I now consider it worth every penny. No more pain and more time on the slopes instead of the lodge.

For my fingers I switched to mittens a long time ago and only wear gloves on the warm days. I picked up a new pair of Hestra Army Heli mitts at the end of last season to replace my Swany X-Cells. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
My problem is my toes, not my fingers. It was very hard to spend the money on some Lenz 5.0 socks ($350) and a spare pair ($150) but I now consider it worth every penny. No more pain and more time on the slopes instead of the lodge.

For my fingers I switched to mittens a long time ago and only wear gloves on the warm days. I picked up a new pair of Hestra Army Heli mitts at the end of last season to replace my Swany X-Cells. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do.
I expect the Lenz 5.0 do a better job than the Lenz model I got several years ago. My toes are also an issue, but so far I am pleased with my switch to boot heaters as the toes seem under control. Hope the Army Heli Mitts work for you!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I expect the Lenz 5.0 do a better job than the Lenz model I got several years ago. My toes are also an issue, but so far I am pleased with my switch to boot heaters as the toes seem under control. Hope the Army Heli Mitts work for you!

The 5.0 have the dedicated toe cap heating element so they work really well. I chose them over the earlier version just for that reason. I had boot heaters but the cable broke quickly and I decided to switch to the Lenz.

I'm sure the Heli mitts will work. The Swany's aren't as nice and they kept me warm in single digit temps. I picked the Hestra's up because so many people swear by them and I wanted to try them out myself.

Sponsor

Staff online