• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I suffer with cold hands for sure. One thing that does help me is putting my poles under my legs so I don't have to hold metal and then balling my hands up inside the mitten/glove to let the fingers warm each other. It does help somewhat.

This is my go to move.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Another testing day for the Stormtracker. This time at A-Basin. Much colder (19* in the lot), but still sunny for the morning and mid-afternoon. This time I decided not to turn on the gloves until my fingers were cold. I never turned them on... This is crazy. These gloves have no "right" to be this warm without even needing the heat. What I noticed today is that even though I wasn't really working up a sweat, the back of my hands felt a bit moist. My theory is that since these gloves have the heating elements across the back of the hand and fingers, this "complicates" the ability of the gloves to breathe and allow the moisture out. They're warm, but they seem to be a warm/wet. Testing continues...

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The brand name is Fieldsheer.
FIeldsheer makes some good gear for riding. As long as those gloves aren't too bulky I would think they'd work quite well for skiing.

One other thing to try is use lotion on your hands (and everywhere else) to keep your skin moist. I've found when my skin is dry I don't stay as warm.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
These work really good on a motorcycle at highway speeds. A modified version for a ski pole may not be a bad idea.

Yep. It solves the same problem, having hands out front exposed to the wind. :huh:

But, If Its that cold that I need to resort to that then I might not be skiing... :doh::huh:

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Those who don't have serious circulation issues may find it hard to relate - my husband's hands sweat in gloves while I am still looking for the miracle cure for my petulant extremities that refuse my attempts at pleasing them. Sitting in a 65 degree house my hands turn purple - I often wear fingerless gloves in the house. I wear a hat and gloves outside as soon as we hit the 50s. Granted, I have Raynaud's and take medication from fall through spring...and live in New England.

What I tried
  • glove liners in my mittens - they make it worse.
  • down mittens, leather mittens, leather/down mittens
  • Hestra heated liner gloves. Purchased them on 50% off clearance and tried them last season inside my mittens only to find them useless for me, even on the highest setting; I sold them to a ski friend and on the lowest setting they worked wonders for her - she even had to shut them off as they got her too warm.
  • cutting caffeine. No noticeable difference.
What I do
  • wear several core layers (wool tank, wool base, mid layer, wool vest, 800 fill down layering jacket or Patagonia Nano Air, shell or down outer)
  • wear a helmet liner under my helmet so my head is as warm as possible.
  • heat packs directly on skin while wearing Black Diamond Mercury Mitts or Hestra Heli mitts.
  • pull thumbs in on the chairlift and ball up my hands to try and recover as best as I can.
  • Boot heaters keep my toes fairly happy. I also own Lenz heated socks from several years ago - they are good but boot heaters are better. The newer generation socks may be an improvement over the model I have. I wear the heated socks for other winter adventures.
What I won't do
  • give up caffeine!
  • move south
Potential next steps
  • Hestra heated mitt liners at $300?
  • Chaval heated mitts at $425?
UGH

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've got these gloves. I typically wear a large and after doing the FTP measurement verified that I need a large. I ordered a large and they are definitely mediums for size. My son has problems keeping his hands warm and he wears a medium so I gave them to him. He likes them for +30 temps (spring skiing usually) but anything below that and he says they are cold. Maybe the newer versions are better. IMG_20191105_104002492.jpg He wears mitts with hand warmers now.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
The Outdoor Research Capstones do the job for me. And although I'm not as cold as LisaMaMot nothing ever worked for me, particularly my thumbs, except heat packs in mittens, and pull the thumb out and grab the heat pack on the lift.

With the Capstones I don't have to do that anymore. I use the gloves, not mittens. They are probably my most loved piece of gear. A friend calls them Robogloves, because they're pretty big, but they're not restrictive feeling.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Outdoor Research Capstones do the job for me. And although I'm not as cold as LisaMaMot's nothing ever worked for me, particularly my thumbs, except heat packs in mittens, and putt the thumb out and grab the heat pack on the lift.

With the Capstones I don't have to do that anymore. I use the gloves, not mittens. They are probably my most loved piece of gear. A friend calls them Robogloves, because they're pretty big, but they're not restrictive feeling.
Pretty much my experience.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Those who don't have serious circulation issues may find it hard to relate - my husband's hands sweat in gloves while I am still looking for the miracle cure for my petulant extremities that refuse my attempts at pleasing them. Sitting in a 65 degree house my hands turn purple - I often wear fingerless gloves in the house. I wear a hat and gloves outside as soon as we hit the 50s. Granted, I have Raynaud's and take medication from fall through spring...and live in New England.

What I tried
  • glove liners in my mittens - they make it worse.
  • down mittens, leather mittens, leather/down mittens
  • Hestra heated liner gloves. Purchased them on 50% off clearance and tried them last season inside my mittens only to find them useless for me, even on the highest setting; I sold them to a ski friend and on the lowest setting they worked wonders for her - she even had to shut them off as they got her too warm.
  • cutting caffeine. No noticeable difference.
What I do
  • wear several core layers (wool tank, wool base, mid layer, wool vest, 800 fill down layering jacket or Patagonia Nano Air, shell or down outer)
  • wear a helmet liner under my helmet so my head is as warm as possible.
  • heat packs directly on skin while wearing Black Diamond Mercury Mitts or Hestra Heli mitts.
  • pull thumbs in on the chairlift and ball up my hands to try and recover as best as I can.
  • Boot heaters keep my toes fairly happy. I also own Lenz heated socks from several years ago - they are good but boot heaters are better. The newer generation socks may be an improvement over the model I have. I wear the heated socks for other winter adventures.
What I won't do
  • give up caffeine!
  • move south
Potential next steps
  • Hestra heated mitt liners at $300?
  • Chaval heated mitts at $425?
UGH
. I hear you, I get cold hands and feet all the time, though not quite as much as you.

BTW, does your username mean Lisa in Massachusetts Most of the Time?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I must be one of the lucky ones. I'm usually able to ski with running gloves that I got from Costco, made by/for Head. Very light weight. Once it gets down in the lower 20s they make one that is a bit heavier. Drawback is they are NOT even water resistant so on snowy days I must look elsewhere. I have to be wary of my hands perspiring. Once that happens it's game over on the colder days.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
I use the Costco $29 Head "ski gloves" and for me they are fine for colder weather.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I must be one of the lucky ones. I'm usually able to ski with running gloves that I got from Costco, made by/for Head. Very light weight. Once it gets down in the lower 20s they make one that is a bit heavier. Drawback is they are NOT even water resistant so on snowy days I must look elsewhere. I have to be wary of my hands perspiring. Once that happens it's game over on the colder days.

I use the Costco $29 Head "ski gloves" and for me they are fine for colder weather.

I hate both of you.

Well, not hate so much as envy.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you tried overmitt shells yet? You may not get to their level, but you'll get much closer than with any fancy spendy heater glove/mitt.
Well I do have fancy spends your heated gloves, but I’m open to throwing some over mitt shells over them.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
I use leather mitts (FlyLow Oven Mitt) sealed with snow seal. During midwinter I usually have to wear a liner glove under these. In the past I used the fleece Dakine liners and I needed to use chemical heat packs. I later tried Rab Phantom glove as my liner and I no longer needed the chemical heat packs. I like having a mitt that does not have a lot of insulation so I can move my fingers around and easier to grab poles. I know this is extremely personal and there are loads of combinations, but wanted to share mine that ended up being a surprise.