• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Car Ski 1170x538 with shadow.jpg

Ohhh-kay, now I think you are just trying to trick me. A car ski. Is that like blinker fluid or muffler bearings? I know we have race skis, powder skis, all-mountain skis ... but what is a car ski? No, this is not April 1: a car ski is a ski that you can keep in the car and feel confident that it will be able to conquer almost any condition the mountain can throw at it. For some of us, this might be their only ski, a “one-ski quiver”; for those of us who have a full quiver, it is the ski that always stays in the car. You will toss another pair (or two) in the back, juuuuust in case, or if you know exactly what the conditions might bring.

Now, doesn’t this contradict my piece about the Steadfast Rule, a ski that is acceptably mediocre at many things and not particularly good at one? Well, that was about a specific ski; this is more about skis that accomplish a difficult feat.

So which ski is it? Well, just as there is not a "best" ski, this varies even more with individual taste and locale. It's a 165 FIS slalom ski for some of my good friends; others choose a 95mm all-mountain ski. Me? If it’s Mt. Rose, it might be a … nice try. Seriously, imagine a faithful dog that is just happy riding along in the passenger seat while you run errands, your best buddy. That’s what this ski is. It will just be there under your feet the whole day, making every turn you expect it to make with utter and complete confidence, wagging its tail the whole time (well, until some instructor tells you to stop wagging your tails).

So, which ski can you take out and be pretty darn sure that after a few beverages at the end of the day, you can confidently quote @dean_spirito and claim the Best Day Ever?

Last edited by a moderator:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here in the NE, for me, the only skis that get left in the car/truck are rock skis since good skis require constant tuning and waxing, and not to mention, skis left in cars often will result in rusty edges. So my current rock skis are Nordica NRGY 85's. Those I'll leave in the car in case the conditions are too brutal for my good skis.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Well now that I'm old and have lived a satisfying full life of thrills, and am no longer totally addicted to speed (been there done that), I can enjoy just about any ski on any terrain. If I had to choose, I would probably pick an Elan Ripstick 96 for the west, and a Stockli SX for the east. If I were still addicted to speed as I was when I wore a younger man's clothes, I would have to stick with a pair of antique SGs or modern DHs; the other skis just don't cut it at ludicrous speed. Nice helmet!

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Most definitely my Bonafides...provided I've left some tuning gear in the car to keep the edges sharp for icy days. Hardpack to spring gorilla snot, they are good for everything. And banged-up enough now to leave in the car

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
When I actually take my truck to go skiing, I usually take 3 - 4 pair. More if it's for a speed event.

As I usually ride a bus to the ski area, I don't have to decide until the last minute. Sometimes I wish I'd chosen differently, but even then, I'm having fun on what I brought.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
My old 185 Enforcers are always in the car, though the new 182 Fischers will replace them.

EDIT: There’s also usually a pair of old slaloms and my “I forgot my boots” boots, which are a pair of red Nordicas designed by someone who thinks humans have gigantic heels but forgot they have toes. I can’t imagine they fit anyone well.

Last edited:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
None. The Saint Bernard sits in the back of the car, kids in the middle. No room for skis. So if we are transporting the skis they are in the Yakima LoPro on the roof of the Forester. But otherwise they stay at the condo, which is 150' from the lifts. I'll be bringing the new skis in Friday to get mounted while I get my new boot doc foam liners made. :) .

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Armada Victa 87s are my car ski. Early season, they are joined by the Kastle LX 82s. Once the snow starts flying, then they are joined by the Volkl 100 Eights.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No skis in my car except hauling the quiver up to the mountain before the season and home on closing day. I select the skis for the day based on what patrol rotation I am assigned and current snow conditions. 2 seasons ago my "car" ski was the 100Eight. Last season it seemed to be my old Hell & Backs. Hopefully I will be using my new 100Eights a lot this season!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Me - East, Atomic FIS SL 157. West, Volkl Kendo 170.

Andrew (Baby Grump) - Atomic FIS SL 157, east and west.

Mamie (Mrs. Grump) - Stockli Motion 85W, east and west.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I don't have "car" skis; I have Bullet Train skis: 185 Enforcer 100s
For Hokkaido I have Black Cat delivery skis: 183 Stormrider 107s (but since it's a two-ski bag at same price, 177 Monster 88s will come along for the ride)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Last year my 5 or is it 6 year old Bonifides became the rock ski, but rocks are hard to find at Sun Peaks so I like the name Car Ski better.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As a waterskier, a car ski is a ski for behind the car. Like on a rope in the parking lot. Around the world where you loop the car while they do a brodie the opposite way. To be honest, I've never done that on snow but it's a standard show ski maneuver on water. Probably really stupid on snow skis behind a car. Why do I want car skis?

Eric

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As a waterskier, a car ski is a ski for behind the car. Like on a rope in the parking lot. Around the world where you loop the car while they do a brodie the opposite way. To be honest, I've never done that on snow but it's a standard show ski maneuver on water. Probably really stupid on snow skis behind a car. Why do I want car skis?

Eric
Well.......we all get bored and stupid on occasion, and on those moments we might attach a rope to something like this.

Or

Or really insane idea....

just saying.

:D:beercheer:

Sponsor

Staff online