• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your average top speed?

• <10 mph

• 10-19 mph

• 20-29 mph

• 30-39 mph

• 40-49 mph

• 50-59 mph

• 60-69 mph

• 70-79 mph

• 80-89 mph

• 90-99 mph

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was limited to checking 90-99. It was as close to ludicrous as I could get.

(At the shop a few winters ago at the end of a long, busy day, a customer who was looking for a new ski asked what might be good. He was a self professed intermediate who averaged "68mph". I walked him over to the SG and DH skis. He then admitted 68 probably wasn't entirely accurate.)

I usually top out around 60 or 70, um kph.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
GPS based app are highly inaccurate....

Well, not going to get FIS record using GPS app for sure.

But my experience is that they give reasonable indicator most of the time. Just need a sanity check to reject the outliers. Probably didn't do 90 mph during coffee break or during that run in the dbl black bumps. And you probably didn't go 20 mph faster than you've ever gone before without being aware of it.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Eons ago, I was clocked at 72 mph by a USFS Ranger.

I am not that guy anymore, and have no idea of my current speeds.

However, as a funny aside, a buddy of mine that uses ski track or whatever is constantly trying to break 72 just to show me.

Because we are still boys at heart (at 60 no less)!

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW

Years ago Snowmass used to have a closed course and timed you with a radar gun (for a fee, of course). Lower part of Upper Slot.

I tried it once and went 67.5 mph on Rossi 7XK's. Fastest that day was about 72.

A guy did it on a mountain bike. Don't remember his speed, but I understand that at some later date a guy on a mountain bike crashed real bad, ending the availability of this event.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I love speed still and if I lived on the other side of Canada, I’d definitely be involved in the Sun Peaks speed skiing program there. Was another kid growing up racing and always liked tucking and going fast. Even now at 48 I HAVE to break into triple digits in km(62 mph plus) in order for me to have a good day.
Have a bunch of retired former racers/master racers guys I ski with in the mornings and the first few runs are “guess Greg’s speed” on empty freshly groomed race course runs and we are all pretty accurate with guesses now. Lol

Find Ski Tracks very accurate as long as it has a good cell signal. Any weak or lost signals and the readings are out to lunch. Also find the 1st run on a new lift are sometimes inaccurate until it gets its bearings on the new ski area.

I average 40-50mph usually while turning down groomer runs but sometimes hit 55mph on fast run outs. Top speed this year so far with a strong wind pushing at my back has been just under 80mph.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Find Ski Tracks very accurate as long as it has a good cell signal. Any weak or lost signals and the readings are out to lunch. Also find the 1st run on a new lift are sometimes inaccurate until it gets its bearings on the new ski area.

Just FYI, Ski Tracks doesn't use cell networks to track your location. It uses GPS signals. The quality of the GPS signals may correlate to the cell coverage, which is probably what you're observing. But there are probably places where you still have good GPS with no cell coverage, and vice-versa.

You can actually put your phone in airplane mode and still run Ski Tracks fine. That can be a good way to conserve battery life.

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone ever tried Waze while skiing? It gives road speed.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I haven't, but you've got me curious. I might have to try that for a few runs.

My random guess would be that it doesn't update location and track fast enough/often enough to be useful for skiing. I'd think it would assume you're on roads, where it could calculate speed over larger distances less frequently.

James

Out There
Instructor
The problem also is you have to look at the screen!

James

Out There
Instructor
Oh... it doesn't record it or show it to you afterward? I don't often use Waze... usually a Google Maps guy.
No, not that I know of. Can one setup screen record with an app?
What I liked about waze was it seemed to download the map around your route. So, when you lost cell service -all the time in VT/NY state, it still had a map, not just your road. I believe google catching on to this now?

Waze now sometimes comes up with good/or ridiculous traffic workarounds.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just FYI, Ski Tracks doesn't use cell networks to track your location. It uses GPS signals. The quality of the GPS signals may correlate to the cell coverage, which is probably what you're observing. But there are probably places where you still have good GPS with no cell coverage, and vice-versa.

You can actually put your phone in airplane mode and still run Ski Tracks fine. That can be a good way to conserve battery life.

Correct as I turn off my cell service in the States. Meant GPS signal.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No, not that I know of. Can one setup screen record with an app?
What I liked about waze was it seemed to download the map around your route. So, when you lost cell service -all the time in VT/NY state, it still had a map, not just your road. I believe google catching on to this now?

Waze now sometimes comes up with good/or ridiculous traffic workarounds.
Waze is owned by Google... so probably leveraging each other now

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I tried Waze in my car and dumped it almost immediately. I use Trace with much better success!

Sponsor