• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your average top speed?

• <10 mph

• 10-19 mph

• 20-29 mph

• 30-39 mph

• 40-49 mph

• 50-59 mph

• 60-69 mph

• 70-79 mph

• 80-89 mph

• 90-99 mph

Results are only viewable after voting.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mass is a big part of the equation but it isn't 'everything'. Aerodynamics (skill and preparation) is probably more important. I'd lay money on a light guy in a tuck over a heavy guy standing upright. Ski/snow contact is a huge factor. If you are on your edges (skill) or have a bad structure or bad wax (preparation).

BTW, my remark above about elevation to @ScotsSkier is a joke. I'm not doubting he went 80+ fully clothed freeskiing DH skis in a closed arena. I just thought it funny that his ski tracks included time in his truck. ;) He was quite likely skiing faster than he was driving.

@Philpug, I had to google Doc Hudson but I still don't get the connection? I've not watched the Cars movies.

:popcorn:

Yup. Aerodynamics is definitely important at these speeds. I could feel the additional dragecompared to being in a speed suit. Why we do not usually let athletes train for speed now without stripping down to speedsuits. If they want to limit their speeds in the beginning iprefer to have them stand up rather than wearing jacket and pants. That way they ease into it better and don’t get a huge shock from the additional speed when they are in a course in A speedsuit.

And I definitely do not claim the level of skill on speed skis that @Doug Briggs has. In this instance they were simply pointed down hill - oh and it was not a closed/netted arena, just was able to catch a quiet spell on the hill!

Are you going to the aspen FIS races or mammoth nationals Doug?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Yup. Aerodynamics is definitely important at these speeds. I could feel the additional dragecompared to being in a speed suit. Why we do not usually let athletes train for speed now without stripping down to speedsuits. If they want to limit their speeds in the beginning iprefer to have them stand up rather than wearing jacket and pants. That way they ease into it better and don’t get a huge shock from the additional speed when they are in a course in A speedsuit.

And I definitely do not claim the level of skill on speed skis that @Doug Briggs has. In this instance they were simply pointed down hill - oh and it was not a closed/netted arena, just was able to catch a quiet spell on the hill!

Are you going to the aspen FIS races or mammoth nationals Doug?

Those are all good points about not training in speed suits. You have options with body position for speed control without restrictions on your movements when stripped.

You skied faster than you drove, too, right? :huh::doh::roflmao:ogsmile

I am having time, personal condition and priority issues so I probably won't be at Aspen or Mammoth. Family and a pseudo lack of interest in racing factor in. Body preservation, too.
:philgoat:
It's not the first time I've lost the need for speed and probably won't be the last.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I just noticed four people voted for top speeds that exceed the speeds of some guys in Sun Peaks in the open class (FIS DH gear, not S1).

:popcorn:

So it takes between 5 and 10 seconds (depending on how often you turn) to complete a run! Must be fun:duck:

His 'hill' must be a cliff for 300' vertical to equate to 5 seconds per run. :roflmao:

Speed threads are always such fun.

More popcorn (and hyperbole) please.

Last edited:

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
His 'hill' must be a cliff for 300' vertical to equate to 5 seconds per run. :roflmao:

You’re right. Also, if it were a cliff he’d probably be averaging more than 38.5 mph in free fall. Revising my error and assuming a 15 degree average slope angle and reasonable turn frequency and shape, it would take about 30 seconds top to bottom. Now we’re talking skiing!

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
You’re right. Also, if it were a cliff he’d probably be averaging more than 38.5 mph in free fall. Revising my error and assuming a 15 degree average slope angle and reasonable turn frequency and shape, it would take about 30 seconds top to bottom. Now we’re talking skiing!
That'd be about right.. *sigh* :huh: One day i'll move to the mountains.. Gotta be some good IT jobs in.. i dunno.. Lake Louise or Whistler..

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
I only ever track myself after the resort is closed and i skin up. Most nights I average about 10 miles per hour with a top speed somewhere in the mid 20's but that is at night skiing with a headlamp, I go much faster during the day.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mass is a big part of the equation but it isn't 'everything'. Aerodynamics (skill and preparation) is probably more important. I'd lay money on a light guy in a tuck over a heavy guy standing upright. Ski/snow contact is a huge factor. If you are on your edges (skill) or have a bad structure or bad wax (preparation).

The aerodynamics/mass issue is best expressed as the "mass to surface area" ratio.

For example, used in a sentence, "I can sometimes keep up with real cyclists going downhill, because I have a better mass-to-surface-area ratio than they do."

Re: suits vs. stripped, I also don't think that the actual difference in speed is nearly the same as the perceived difference. If (hypothetically speaking) the same run is 10 MPH faster in a suit, it feels like at least 15 MPH because of the increased airflow perceived by the skier. It is, however, enough of a perceived difference that there's a very normal tendency to trigger the "too fast" instinct when going from fully clothed to stripped, and that alone makes training stripped for speed events worthwhile.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't use an app so I guessed 40-49 figuring that I go a little over 40. I don't usually go really fast unless I"m the only person on the trail. I ski in the northeast and ski just about any open trail without crashing so am somewhere in the expertish category.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I don't generally ski at speeds where I feel significant air drag. So generally top out at 25 mph if I am skiing a groomer.

When I am on flat run out I will go up to 40mph. I don't turn to slow down... I just open my arms wide... why turn when air drag is easier way to drop back to 30mph?

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
it is usually somewhere around "Lldicrous speed"

Attachments

• Ludicrous speed.jpg
    Ludicrous speed.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 9

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't tend to use apps that check speed and some such.
I get why some people do, but its just not my cup of tea.

I will say, I'm not that fast.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
GPS based app are highly inaccurate....

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
GPS based app are highly inaccurate....
The most accurate thing in my life is my own fun meter. ;)
The only reason I'd work to get faster is if taking a masters drop in clinic to clean up my skiing, not for speed but overall improvement

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
I don't ski as fast as I used to but I do still like to open it up now and then on a wide open run. Years ago in my late 20's my brother-in-law and I hit 22 consecutive trams at Cannon Mountain. It was mid week and seemed like we had the mountain to ourselves.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I just noticed four people voted for top speeds that exceed the speeds of some guys in Sun Peaks in the open class (FIS DH gear, not S1).

I was limited to checking 90-99. It was as close to ludicrous as I could get.

(At the shop a few winters ago at the end of a long, busy day, a customer who was looking for a new ski asked what might be good. He was a self professed intermediate who averaged "68mph". I walked him over to the SG and DH skis. He then admitted 68 probably wasn't entirely accurate.)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I was limited to checking 90-99. It was as close to ludicrous as I could get.

(At the shop a few winters ago at the end of a long, busy day, a customer who was looking for a new ski asked what might be good. He was a self professed intermediate who averaged "68mph". I walked him over to the SG and DH skis. He then admitted 68 probably wasn't entirely accurate.)

Well played.

Sponsor

Staff online