• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is the thing that looks like a big tail that people wear on powder days?

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I feel silly asking this but I don't what it's called so I'm having trouble looking it up. I thought "powder skirt" but that seems to be the thing at the bottom of a jacket. I'm also wondering what exactly it's for.

TS
Brock Tice

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nope not that, it's like a skirt but only in the back. It goes around the waist and hangs behind your legs.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nope not that, it's like a skirt but only in the back. It goes around the waist and hangs behind your legs.

I can't say that I've seen what it sounds like you're talking about. Some Googling turned this up :

http://www.makeitmissoula.com/2012/11/missoula-made-products-powder-tails/

LL_powder2.jpg.jpg

Is that what you're talking about? If so, it's just to keep your butt warmer on the lift. Here's an alternative to that, that looks less silly :

https://powdercordpouch.com/hotbuns-butt-warmer.html

hotbuns-in-use.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
One last note... the reason people wear the tails on powder days is because snow falls away when they stand. With the "Hot Buns" style that clips to your pants you can get snow between the neoprene and your pants, and end up sitting in snow on the lift.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A skirt to keep your butt cheeks from getting cold? seriously, I thought that is what pants are for? Why don't they make some sort of space suit contraption for skiing that allows people to go outside without interacting with the elements at all? I bet it would sell great in the ski industry, smh.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A skirt to keep your butt cheeks from getting cold?

These days, apparently that's what bubble chairs and gondolas are for. Based on my experience, people will wait in line for those rather than ride a regular lift with no line.

Good for me I guess, since I don't mind the regular chairs at all.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Everyone in Whitefish was wearing those when we skied there.
We call them "fanny flaps". I've had two guys ask me about them in the last two weeks, "What is that for?". Seemed pretty clear to me. (I should have told them it was a cape.)

Since we get snow ghosts, that rime is coating the chairs too. Plus, for the last week it's been darned frigid here (below zero F), and it helps keep you that much warmer sitting on the lift. Both insulation and wind protection. One of the locals actually wears one on each side (okay, he's maybe a "character") to pull the front one in front of his face on the ride up.

@Fuller, even though he's aspiring to become a local, has yet to take the plunge.

Last edited:
TS
Brock Tice

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
"What is that for?". Seemed pretty clear to me. (I should have told them it was a cape.)

I wasn't thinking of lifts, very rarely have I had an issue with my butt getting cold on the lift or otherwise. I was trying to figure out what sort of function they could provide while skiing and the only thing I could think of was added drag, which didn't seem particularly useful.

Sponsor

Staff online