• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is the right number of speeds?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've never ridden with a HR (well, I did once), but I think I'd be too impatient to ride below 140 for a whole ride. I've got places to be!

I resemble that remark! :D
That being said, I followed a friend last weekend on one of our slogs of 1300 feet in 3 miles, and went quite a lot slower than normal, and I definitely felt much better at the top!

Still liking my Eagle GX 1X12 with the 30 tooth in the front, but I have found that the dinner plate now gives almost too much torque on some of our loose, rocky stuff. So, I very rarely ride in granny anymore.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
My 5010 is 1x11 with 32x10-42. I find the spacing quite adequate. I'm torn between down sizing the ring to a 30 or 32 (maybe even oval) or upgrading to 1x12 SRAM Eagle.

Give the oval a try, it's the cheapest thing in the drivetrain. If you don't like it just sell it off.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Oh, Sturmey-Archer where have you gone?!?
I fixed more of those things. They did have a design flaw though..

You lot are looking at it backwards. 3x1 is the way forward.

70756313_10157536818644817_251488464237756416_n.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I resemble that remark! :D
That being said, I followed a friend last weekend on one of our slogs of 1300 feet in 3 miles, and went quite a lot slower than normal, and I definitely felt much better at the top!
I've never ridden with a HR (well, I did once), but I think I'd be too impatient to ride below 140 for a whole ride. So with a double, what is your lowest gear? How slow are you going with that? 1.5 mph? If I ride a 34/40, I think my speed is something like 3 mph! I've got places to be!

The real answer to this is huge gears in the front and a narrow range cassette in the back. 55/42 and 12-23 tops. You can stay under 140bpm for hours, even as an urban/suburban couch fatty.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
The real answer to this is huge gears in the front and a narrow range cassette in the back. 55/42 and 12-23 tops. You can stay under 140bpm for hours, even as an urban/suburban couch fatty.

umm lower cadence does mean lower heart rate. I can keep my heart rate much lower climbing on my geared MTB than I can on my single speed MTB.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
umm lower cadence does mean lower heart rate. I can keep my heart rate much lower climbing on my geared MTB than I can on my single speed MTB.

Precisely my point - thanks for emphasizing it - and it applies even more strongly to heavy riders who will post up and down out of the saddle at walking speeds instead of spinning. The taller the gear they have to push, the lower their heart rate, and the greater their speed at low heart rates.

Which is also the answer to @Bill Talbot 's question of why 53/39 was standard for decades - high perceived speed at low cardio means more satisfaction of moneyed flatlanders.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
ummmm you clearly havent rode a 30t with a 51 rear tooth, it is easier than walking....

Sponsor