• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Most of the springs in the heels of older bindings are cracked due to stress and exposure to salt.
(Cartop ski carriers)
Don't be surprised when the spring suddenly collapses and you get spit out.
I have several sets of old Looks in my attic and they all have cracked springs in the heels.
If salt got on your bindings from cartop ski racks you have nobody to blame but yourself. All the major manufactures sold binding covers for protecting bindings during transport. This is just one example of the binding protection available in the 1970's. Never had a spring issue with any binding, but had lots of Salomon Plastic issues and they never had a recall.
1588089950597.png

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If salt got on your bindings from cartop ski racks you have nobody to blame but yourself. All the major manufactures sold binding covers for protecting bindings during transport. This is just one example of the binding protection available in the 1970's. Never had a spring issue with any binding, but had lots of Salomon Plastic issues and they never had a recall.
View attachment 101043
I still have one of those with a Rossignol logo. Those, and ski bags are really only good for short trips. I must have torn up at least 4 heavy weight airline baggage type ski bags in two years taking 8-10 hour trips with bagged skis on roof racks. And yes, I tied down all the excess material at the ends and middle. It still wears holes in them at the sharp points, around brakes, tips, and tails flapping around in the wind for 10 hours at a time.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Want me to post a pic of a bunch of cracked and broken Look springs?
High carbon steel like binding springs are made from is very susceptible to stress corrosion cracking.
I'm not talking about plastic bindings, I'm talking about the all metal Looks from the '70's and '80's that are still good except for the springs.
Course, you are a young'n who may not remember all metal ski bindings.
Weren't these valve springs from VW or Porsche cars !

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
@Uncle-A.....Set your wayback machine to 1974 and give me a stiff lecture.
It was rust on the edges that made me give up cartop carriers.

@John Webb....I don't know but I did replace the springs with some valve springs I had in my shop.
Briggs and Stratton, I think.
We don't need no stinkin' DIN calibrations, just crank them until you don't come out.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Most of the springs in the heels of older bindings are cracked due to stress and exposure to salt.
(Cartop ski carriers)
I have several sets of old Looks in my attic and they all have cracked springs in the heels.

Who would put their skis on top of the car where they would get bathed in salt spray? :geek:
Skis belong inside your car where they will be warm and safe.... if that means someone has to stay home, so be it!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Look ZR - anyone got a restomod AFD suggestion?
For Gripwalk? The new Gripwalk AFD is a 4 hole pattern and the ZR is 3. I am sure with some Dremel time it can be made to work.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
(Cartop ski carriers)
Want me to post a pic of a bunch of cracked and broken Look springs?
High carbon steel like binding springs are made from is very susceptible to stress corrosion cracking.
I'm not talking about plastic bindings, I'm talking about the all metal Looks from the '70's and '80's that are still good except for the springs.
Course, you are a young'n who may not remember all metal ski bindings.

Yup! ONLY examples I have seen in 50+ years of a broken spring (as opposed to broken/deteriorated housings) were on Look 99RS toe pieces of late 80s vintage IIRC. And it didn't take long, they were broken in early 90s

Uncle-A

Skier
Yup! ONLY examples I have seen in 50+ years of a broken spring (as opposed to broken/deteriorated housings) were on Look 99RS toe pieces of late 80s vintage IIRC. And it didn't take long, they were broken in early 90s
Like the pair I posted earlier on page 2 of this thread. Look 99's. They are in good working order, and I have skied them and they did release when needed.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Like the pair I posted earlier on page 2 of this thread. Look 99's. They are in good working order, and I have skied them and they did release when needed.

Yup, that is the one. My buddy couldn't understand why the toe piece was just flopping about!

Uncle-A

Skier
Look ZR - anyone got a restomod AFD suggestion?
I found a pair of Look
IMG_20200429_140720.jpg
AFD pads I will part with if they are what you need.
IMG_20200429_140705.jpg

The hole pattern should be the same but from center to center across the front is 42MM and diagonal is 46MM to the single hole. The height at the thickest part is 12MM. Sorry one is discolored not sure what happened.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
That totally works, many thanks!

You can have the AFDs on the left. I have already cannibalized the heels as they were too rusty too save. The sliding mechanism works fine on both but as you see one was missing the teflon but I have a sheet of the stuff. Maybe you just need the teflon?

IMG_1415.JPG