• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
1E0053D1-EB41-4E26-956B-9D9EED772AA0.jpeg
I was bored and threw this out on Facebook and it grew legs so I will ask here. What is the oldest binding you would feel confident in using? Indemnification..inshmenification...IMHO, there are bindings that are no longer indemnified that really are jsut as goo..and safe as any new binding offered today but they are not indemnified and most shops will not toush them for the obvious reasons. Sure, some of these bindings are limited by brake width options, they were designed for skis that were no more than 70mm uderfoot. Granted the brakes might be able to be bent out, they are still limiting. Some of these bindings actually can accommodate wider options and even be updated to be Gripwalk compatible.

An example of modernizing a 25 year old binding...
194F7B4C-C837-4601-AEA0-D2324FAC326E.jpeg

If you note, that is a 2013 (or so) Blizzard Bonafide. When I did this, the Blizzard rep at the time went balistic. He said "How can you put a 20 year old binding Salomon 997E (11-17) on a brand new ski???" Well, that binding was about as good as any binding offered and the same binding as the $499 Salomon Sth916 Steel that was offered at the time. I would still mount that binding on any ski today.

Last edited:

brian avery

Skiing - Let's Do This!
Skier
I just found a pair of Salomon 747 Equipe bindings in my basement. I bought them new in 1987 when living in Lake Placid. Still in great shape.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
If the ski season would have lasted until now, I would have taken out something with Solly 502/505 or metal 727 by now. I used a pair of skis with 11-year-old Z10 Ti this year and they still seem to be fine but I don't think they're good for much longer. Same with some C610s that I have. I didn't use them this year but I'm not sure they have much left either. Kind of weird to have more trust in a 45-year-old binding than something a quarter of that age.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Every once in a while I ski these Dynamic VR17s with Look Nevada toes and N17 heels as well as the ROCs with the Marker M4-15 toes and Rotamat heels. Not as daily drivers, but I have every confidence in these bindings that I have for any modern ones.

IMG_20200405_092116909.jpg IMG_20200405_092105142.jpg

All my race skis still have 18 year old Solomon 914 and 916s. What me worry?

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Any of the Salomons from 957 onward (even if I had two composite 957 heels broken off mounted on a pair of 205 Dynamic VR27 - same pair , not while skiing though, and more than one 727 toe spring as well). I have 997s mounted of some 198 and 188 Volelkl P40F1, which I'm tempted to take out from storage for a ride, from time to time...maybe next winter...

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
I still have some Volkl Explosives mounted with the Marker M4 toes and Rotomat FD heels. Still feel fine skiing them. In addition, I have some Elan Comp GS with Marker M48's I feel the same about.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any of the Salomons from 957 Equipe (worm heel) onward (even if I had two composite 957 heels broken off mounted on a pair of 205 Dynamic VR27 - same pair , not while skiing though, and more than one 727 toe spring as well). I have 997s mounted of some 198 and 188 Volelkl P40F1, which I'm tempted to take out from storage for a ride, from time to time...maybe next winter...
FIFY. But yeah. The previous 747 with it's shorter wings did not have the elasicity of the 957 and when the 956 was released is when i switched over to that binding from the Marker MRR's I was skiing prior. The 957 is about the oldest binding that I woudl go back to, simple because it is forward compatible with wider Gripwalk AFDs and wider brakes.

For those who ski Squaw and Mt. Rose, I am susre you have seen Andy, the big curly haired guy who is alway sporting old Drivers. When I condensed the binding museum at Pugski's headquarters, I boxed up a bunch of singles and various 957/977/997s for him.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I kinda feel like the Indemnification List is somewhat akin to the "Best Used By" date in the grocery store - probably fine to use for awhile. (I do realize there are exceptions such as a model or run with faulty plastic, etc., that should be pulled immediately.)

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
+1 on Philpug's Salomon 997 Equipe. I saved a couple pair of these just in case I want to mount something up and take them for a spin. Mine are the 6-14 DIN

P1050250.jpg

Toes adjust for spread and height
P1050255.jpg

that great worm drive forward pressure adjust
P1050256.jpg

no notches here, infinite adjustibility

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Voile 3 pin, Rainy Super Loop.

Oh...wait...is this an alpine only thread?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Our son was a comp'd athlete, with a couple of companies that used Salomon bindings back in the early/mid 2000’s. Our daughter was comp’d by Rossi in the mid 2000’d then Dynastar. And nobody was bashful back then. All new bindings every season. Like 6-8 pair each. So, we {meaning now I, as they have other deals...working in the race world these days} have a lot of stuff.

Salomon 916’s and 920’s. With shims, a few pairs NIB.
Rossi FKS 155’s and 185’s....with the accessories.
Look P-15 and P-18. A couple NIB.

I like this bindings better than anything made today. Bending brakes on the Rossi/Look takes some practice and skill. The Solly wide brakes have been easier. Back a few years ago I hoarded “a few.”

Our son has a few older big boy Markers and Head/Tyrolias sitting on some older skis.

Would not hesitate to ski any of them. Love that solid metal clunk!

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I've got a couple sets of those too. One on the wife's skis, which she doesn't use any more, so I take them out once in a while, and another I pulled off of the K2 Shorts (they were rentals), which aren't in such good shape. The rollers on the toe pieces are going flat, so those are officially retired. I also have some 555's on the hart ballets, but those skis need some base work before I can use them again.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid