• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah What is the latest time to go?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know skiing is very different from Europe, so don’t really know what to go for - offpiste seems to be a lot easier/safe than in Europe, so probably a lot of that - the Utah powder is legendary over here!

I am sure you willl have a ton of fun!

Can I perhaps suggest a small change in language?

The word “off-piste” in Europe literally means: “not on the piste”; since the piste is (usually)groomed and always controlled for safety, this implies “off-piste” is neither.

The difference is the fact that in Europe (typically) the boundaries are the boundaries of the pistes, whereas in North America, there is a clear “resort-area” boundary. You can easily see this if you look at (online) ski area maps.

In North America, I would suggest using these 3 terms:
  1. Groomed/groomers: -obvious
  2. Ungroomed, inbounds: -this is terrain that is inside the ski area boundary, so it is controlled for avalanches and other risks(But still never 100% safe), and patrolled by the resort’s ski-patrol (but not always frequently). This might include mogul ”pistes”, hike-to-terrain, bowls, tree skiing, cliff areas or low angle, ungroomed terrain.
  3. Out-of-bounds: -this includes both backcountry skiing and side country skiing. This is terrain outside the ski area boundary (yes, even right next to the rope!), and it’s is not avalanche controlled, and the resort’s ski patrol will not be on duty there.
So yes, the ungroomed, inbounds terrain is truly something you should take advantage of, especially if you get lucky with the “Greatest Snow on Earth”.

What I meant was, are you also planning to to any out-of-bounds skiing? Whether touring or lift accessed side country?
Regarding the latter, Deer Valley doesn’t allow that (nor snowboarding, sensing a theme here ;-) but I know Brighton, Solitude and Alta do for example. Check on any others if you are interested in that.

Last edited:
TS
DanishRider

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am sure you willl have a ton of fun!

Can I perhaps suggest a small change in language?

The word “off-piste” in Europe literally means: “not on the piste”; since the piste is (usually)groomed and always controlled for safety, this implies “off-piste” is neither.

The difference is the fact that in Europe (typically) the boundaries are the boundaries of the pistes, whereas in North America, there is a clear “resort-area” boundary. You can easily see this if you look at (online) ski area maps.

In North America, I would suggest using these 3 terms:
  1. Groomed/groomers: -obvious
  2. Ungroomed, inbounds: -this is terrain that is inside the ski area boundary, so it is controlled for avalanches and other risks(But still never 100% safe), and patrolled by the resort’s ski-patrol (but not always frequently). This might include mogul ”pistes”, hike-to-terrain, bowls, tree skiing, cliff areas or low angle, ungroomed terrain.
  3. Out-of-bounds: -this includes both backcountry skiing and side country skiing. This is terrain outside the ski area boundary (yes, even right next to the rope!), and it’s is not avalanche controlled, and the resort’s ski patrol will not be on duty there.
So yes, the ungroomed, inbounds terrain is truly something you should take advantage of, especially if you get lucky with the “Greatest Snow on Earth”.

What I meant was, are you also planning to to any out-of-bounds skiing? Whether touring or lift accessed side country?
Regarding the latter, Deer Valley doesn’t allow that (nor snowboarding, sensing a theme here ;-) but I know Brighton, Solitude and Alta do for example. Check on any others if you are interested in that.
Definition is noted!

Since i am skiing with the missus, i will most probably be skiing inbound:) Guess since it is still inbound, it will get tracked out pretty fast ?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a response: "tracked out" means different things to different people. True powder -- yes, will get tracked out quickly. At Alta and Snowbird especially, everything intermediate and above will get beat up pretty badly w/i 3 hours of opening. Other places not so fast, but still chopped up. But crud and chopped-up is still fun. I've had plenty of "powder" days in UT where I skied only fresh chop and still had plenty of fun.

And just be aware, though Alta/Snowbird get a lot of love here, they tend to get the most traffic on powder days. Personally, If it's only been an overnight storm and there's no opportunity for refills, I often look elsewhere. And think about what will suit the Mrs. if you're skiing with her. Alta/Snowbird are best appreciated by advanced and expert skiers.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Definition is noted!

Since i am skiing with the missus, i will most probably be skiing inbound:) Guess since it is still inbound, it will get tracked out pretty fast ?

Yes, it will at the BCC(Big Cottonwood Canyon)and LCC(Little Cottonwood Canyon) and Park City resorts. Powder Mountain reportedly does not.

However, even at the more popular resorts, you can stack the odds in your favor:
Get out on first chair. (Duh)
Traverse or hike a bit further
Ski the trees. remember, wind can load snow onto a slope many times faster than snow fall, so in the trees and on the leeward sides of ridges there will be more, and deeper snow.

And enjoy the chop!

Aside from snow quantity, if you are limited to inbounds skiing but like the backcountry “feel”, Honeycomb Canyon at Solitude is highly recommended. There are no lifts “in” it, you enter from a lift on the other side of a ridge, then there is one lift up the side to get you out. Due to this, the feel and appearance is almost backcountry like. There is only one small groomer down the bottom, and no lifts or other development in sight.

I have not yet skied LCC, so can’t say if they have anything comparable.

If you like to ski around and off rocks, Brighton is a ton of fun. There is a lot of easily accessed rocky terrain that allow you to pick your own level of skill and commitment, and a less strong kier can ski close by on a easier trail.

Last edited:
TS
DanishRider

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes, it will at the BCC(Big Cottonwood Canyon)and LCC(Little Cottonwood Canyon) and Park City resorts. Powder Mountain reportedly does not.

However, even at the more popular resorts, you can stack the odds in your favor:
Ski the trees. remember, wind can load snow onto a slope many times faster than snow fall, so in the trees and on the leeward sides of ridges there will be more, and deeper snow.

And enjoy the chop!

Aside from snow quantity, if you are limited to inbounds skiing but like the backcountry “feel”, Honeycomb Canyon at Solitude is highly recommended. There are no lifts “in” it, you enter from a lift on the other side of a ridge, then there is one lift up the side to get you out. Due to this, the feel and appearance is almost backcountry like. There is only one small groomer down the bottom, and no lifts or other development in sight.

If you like to ski around and off rocks, Brighton is a ton of fun. There is a lot of easily accessed rocky terrain that allow you to pick your own level of skill and commitment, and a less strong kier can ski close by on a easier trail.
Solid advise - thank you very much ! :)

TS
DanishRider

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier

And enjoy the chop!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And just a reminder warning, windloaded slopes have very high avalanche risk.

Although I said earlier that Skipatrol will control for avalanche risk, that doesn’t mean it’s zero, especially as snow is falling and being blown in by wind, and in less visited parts of the resort, (basically every thing I mentioned above ;-) avalanche risk might rise quickly before skipatrol can react to close the area or mitigate the risk.

https://www.adventuresportsnetwork....kend-why-do-these-types-of-snowslides-happen/

Sponsor

Staff online