• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is that lift called? :-)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I was working on a project and have to create a wire rope eye splices. This is my test piece for what is commonly known as a Flemish or Danish Eye. In another part of the world it has a different name. That name is also associated with a distinctive lift at a popular ski area in Colorado.

What is that lift called?

IMG_20200910_075316700.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Horseshoe splice - A cut splice where the two sides of the loop are of unequal length.
Are you thinking of the T-bar at Breck that services Horseshoe Bowl, gives access to some of Peak 7 terrain and base of Imperial chair?

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Tony

tseeb
Skier
More searching, after first looking for Lazy J knot or splice, found that you can turn a Flemish Twist into a Timber Hitch and that Timber is another name for Pallavicini (lift at A-Basin). See http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=19733.0 There may also be Timber lifts at other ski areas including Fernie (really is Timber Bowl). I'll admit I'm not very good with knots and have never tried a splice.

Last edited:
TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Tony , you are closer than you know. I had to look up the flemish twist, too. I didn't know that an alternate name for Pali was Timber. I am looking for the lift name that would be on the map, though.

If we get to page 2 (or more than a few days out), I'll give more clues. Keep on trying. All the glory of the correct answer could be yours. ;)

IMG_1825[1].jpg

IMG_1826[1].jpg

I added the binding of the loose end which I omitted previously. I thought the original photo was more artistic and also illustrative of the actual splice. The binding in these images completes the actual splice and makes it ready for use.

Last edited:
TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Winner winner, chicken dinner! Thanks for playing along and solving my riddle.

Now to ask Al if he knows where the name comes from!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's the "Yer Gonna Die" express.. hahaha!

Sponsor