• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm missing the following skis:
A high speed ski more suited to deeper snow than ice, I'm thinking something like Kästle MX98 might do the trick.
A powder ski, I don't even know where to start.
A better GS ski.

A Head Monster 98 skis nearly identical to the MX 98 if you can't find the latter. Neither ski is worth having in your neck of the woods, and at your size and weight, 184 is sort of silly, but whatever keeps you smiling and interested.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
A Head Monster 98 skis nearly identical to the MX 98 if you can't find the latter. Neither ski is worth having in your neck of the woods, and at your size and weight, 184 is sort of silly, but whatever keeps you smiling and interested.
That's why I don't have one of them.

However, I'm going to be spending time again in Courtney on Vancouver Island. It will be interesting to see in person how Mt. Washington has developed. I do recall they did have plenty of deep wet snow and some pretty steep lines, although due to becoming a ski patroller half a dozen years ago, I'll likely stay out of their permanently closed terrain (I would feel guilty otherwise). Despite that it looks like there are still some lines where a charger would work well.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Try a Kore 105 or BMX 105... Both ski well and will float better than either 98's. A QST 106 would be fun as well. Dnt overlook a Volkl 90eight if you want to stay below 100... chargy? An Experience 100 or current Bonafide will be the ticket. Those last two go fast AND turn well. Glad to hear your traveling west!

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I currently don't have an allmountain ski (for Europe, so, something in the 85-95 mm range). I sold my Motive 86's a few weeks ago, and I'll be shopping for a ~105 mm freeride ski before Christmas. I have a Völkl Racetiger GS as my all-day hardpack ski.

I don't think I'll get myself an allmountain ski. So that will be missing, but not really.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Missing a Head Kore 93 from the quiver, with Attack 13 demo/system bindings.

Salomon Custom 82
Rosi Experience 83
Nordica Helldiver 90
Nordica Supercharger Blower 110

sons=mine too
Head Rev 105
JSki theMetal 105
Elan Race SLD 65

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have:
Rev 85, 177
Rev 105, 181

I am missing:
ON3P Billy Goat (179 or 184)

And I’m thinking I could replace both Rev’s with a Renoun Z90.
Throw in a Stockli Laser AX for good measure, or Scale Delta (or possibly DPS Cassiar 85 or Uschi 82). Oh, wait, I need a Head Rally, don’t I? :doh:

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Have:

Volkl SL Racetiger 66 mm
Head Rally 76 mm
Kastle FX 94

Missing: nothing. 94 is more than enough.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Hmmm, right now I have:
183 Stockli AX
183 Stockli SR107
Yeah, think I'm good :decisions:Kore 93, Blister Pro

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Sold my k2 annex 108's, the tip rocker was half the ski, the 178 skied like a 156. Need a 95 to 105ish all mountain west ski with a bit of metal to take its place.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
So how does one acquire ballet skis in this day and age?

...asking for a friend.
Vintage ballet skis turn up on eBay and Craigslist from time to time. Otherwise, you have to find some new ski that is really short, (140 -150) not too wide, with a twin tip and re-purpose it. I have both retro ballet skis and modern skis that I use for ballet. Options that I think might work are K2 244 Mamba in a 153 or Head The Show in a 154. Those are the ones I know about, there may be others.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I need a winning lottery ticket is what I need.
Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 7.49.08 AM.png

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
The original question doesn't quite work for me.

But realistically, what are you missing? If someone gave you a coupon for "one pair of skis of your choice", what would you get with it?

I'm not "missing" anything in my opinion, so if someone gave me the coupon, I'd replace one of my existing pairs.

Conventional wisdom would say I'm missing a hard-snow ski (daily driver is 98 and soft-snow oriented), but I really don't think I need one for where I ski and the type of skiing I like. So to answer the question, I'd get a pair of Armada Tracer 98's because my daily drivers are getting a little long in the tooth and I demo'd the Tracer this spring and really liked it.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
GS Ski
Hardpack/bumper utility ski

Don't think I'm missing that much. Have a very versatile 107, a number if big guns and a couple of pairs of FIS SLs for when it is refrozen groomer. Plus some ver stiff 89 "freeride" skis which haven't really used that much because they are hard work in the bumps.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
So I've got some powder skis (Coreupt Banger 110), and a nice "do everything else" ski (Rossignol Scratch). What I think I want is a mogul ski. Last year we had so much powder I never skied moguls. This year I'm definitely going to find moguls at Winter Park and some will probably develop at some places at Mt Hood Meadows. So: recommendations for a good mogul ski?

Skier: 60 yrs old, skiing for 50 years.
Ability: I ski slower than I used to. I used to zipper-line moguls at Copper Mt and Mary Jane at 3 turns a second, but now I'd be happy to just not HAVE to ski the edges of the mogul field where the bumps meet the trees .....
We used to ski the moguls on 195-205 Rossignol 102's, so I think I'd be happy with any shorter, flexier, shapelier modern mogul ski.

But what to get?

BTW: I almost never buy new skis. I can't stand the prices. I'll be looking for 3yr old models on the used market...

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
I would grab a pair of Liberty Orgin 96's. They would pair nicely with my wider, softer, and more rockered Rossignol Soul 7's.

The graphics are pretty awesome if I may say so myself.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Not in my quiver: the reasonable day-trip ski car like a Subaru Forester.

Car quiver:
Pow-day long adventure mobile: Lifted AWD Astro Van
SOs daily commuter: Honda Civic Hybrid
Sunshine, little company: Mazda Miata