• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is going on with these Kendo's?

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
It is one way I pull them out of the chatter and has always worked for me but it is not the way I like to ski, i.e. I like skis that behave and don't put me in that situation.
Not sure if I'm getting the correct visual on your description or vice-versa but form other post here I suspect at least in part, what you are saying is why I do better on longer skis, IME, the way I ski, they hook up better for me. I'm from the era of long skinny straight skis which required pressuring the tips and bending the ski to turn, the shaped skis, eh, whatever, I hate when they have a mind of their own, some are a lot better then others.
Not the skis (exceptions of course.)....GENERALLY IT'S THE PILOT! And length has nothing to do with it. In fact, I say longer skis are more prone to chatter than shorter. It is all about tactics and pressure. And my description is not about "pulling them out of chatter" it is how to avoid chatter in the first place.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not the skis (exceptions of course.)....GENERALLY IT'S THE PILOT! And length has nothing to do with it. In fact, I say longer skis are more prone to chatter than shorter. It is all about tactics and pressure. And my description is not about "pulling them out of chatter" it is how to avoid chatter in the first place.
Yes I got that much of it.

I really only expierenced the jumpy ski can't rail on edge type chatter with the 170cm Kendo, practally non of it with the 177cm Kendo demo. None at all at the time with the 169cm and 177cm Nordica Enforcer 100 or 177cm Atomic Vantage 90cti, and 178cm Atomic Vantage 95 and 177cm K2 Pinnacle 95 demo's. I aslo had it happen with my Kastle BMX after I tuned them with cheap plactic Swix file guides along with my mistake of dulling the tips and tails. Took two consecutive base grind re-structure / edge sharpening between ski outings to bring them back to prior performance. I don't think my technique changed between all skis mentioned.

Last edited:
TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Un-removed burring from filing and stoning side edge. View attachment 62676

Hanger from impact View attachment 62677
Yup. That top pic is exactly what Bob says he felt when he (gingerly) ran his finger along the edge searching for a burr. He wants to know what kind of camera you used because this was not visible to our *cough* mature eyes.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup. That top pic is exactly what Bob says he felt when he (gingerly) ran his finger along the edge searching for a burr. He wants to know what kind of camera you used because this was not visible to our *cough* mature eyes.

One of these may help.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes I got that much of it.

I really only expierenced the jumpy ski can't rail on edge type chatter with the 170cm Kendo, practally non of it with the 177cm Kendo demo. None at all at the time with the 169cm and 177cm Nordica Enforcer 100 or 177cm Atomic Vantage 90cti, and 178cm Atomic Vantage 95 and 177cm K2 Pinnacle 95 demo's. I aslo had it happen with my Kastle BMX after I tuned them with cheap plactic Swix file guides along with my mistake of dulling the tips and tails. Took two consecutive base grind re-structure / edge sharpening between ski outings to bring them back to prior performance. I don't think my technique changed between all skis mentioned.

Looks like the 177 Kendo is your ski. Get whatever floats your boat.
For me, at 5'/6", #165, the 170 is a good fit. The 163 is real nice too. A bit more slalom-y than the 170. I am happy with either. Don't have a requirement for a 177.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I got my new skis on ice I was like wtf is that tail chatter, it was actually vibrating my feet. I was skiing the factory tune and there were file marks on the tips and tails in addition to burrs. Cleaned those up and got a feel for the skis - no more chatter.

And this week I filed the edges for the first time and got some vibration on the first run but must have broken off a small burr because they were fine for the rest of the day.

James

Out There
Instructor
30x magnification?? You'll be distracted by dirt.
Likely that thing is a mess optically.

A good 10x will work much better.
The Bausch and Lomb is the standard, it's now about $50. The one from Belarus is cheaper and what lots of jewelers use.

IMG_5787.JPG

http://www.usgeologicalsupply.com/loupes-magnifiers/

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like the 177 Kendo is your ski. Get whatever floats your boat.
For me, at 5'/6", #165, the 170 is a good fit. The 163 is real nice too. A bit more slalom-y than the 170. I am happy with either. Don't have a requirement for a 177.
Well, lucky you @KingGrump, me I have small hands and feet, must compensate gosh dangit, 177cm., pff, 180cm - 190cm skis, Corvette Stingray, Dodge Viper, Mercedes-AMG 515 Project One cigarette boat, a southern boarder wall visable from space!!!!!!! ;)

But seriously, I was wondering if there may be something wrong with the scaling down from standard design model size. Was going to ask @Pat... the length Kendo and Bob's weight, looking for a pattern but I guess not if you're good with the 170cm Kendo. Perhaps the 25lbs you have on me help drive the shorter (stiffer?), Kendo, where I found the longer 177cm not planky and not chattering all over the place like the 170cm. I didn't try the 163cm, I can't imagine, maybe in the original full camber version, or if I had bigger hands and feet;)

James

Out There
Instructor
Just to sum up.
The skis erratic behavior was blamed on everything including a change in the subject's weight. Even the ski itself. Thoughts that it was the tune were denied by the shop. A "Detuning" course of action was implemented. Fortunately, not by the shop. It was then discovered it was in fact a hanging burr. Burr gone, ski ok.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Although the "chattering" has stopped and the detuning worked, Bob isn't enjoying the skis as much as he would like. He's feeling like they may be too long at 184. He's 6 foot 175 lbs. I think he's planning to sell them and purchase some Elan Ripsticks.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just to sum up.
The skis erratic behavior was blamed on everything including a change in the subject's weight. Even the ski itself. Thoughts that it was the tune were denied by the shop. A "Detuning" course of action was implemented. Fortunately, not by the shop. It was then discovered it was in fact a hanging burr. Burr gone, ski ok.
I recently had my wife's and my daily drivers stone ground and reset at 1/3 plus the obligatory wax job that comes with the machine tune. My wife got angry when I insisted I take them home to "touch them up" as she thought I was throwing the cost of the shop work down the drain. When I tried to explain the need to polish the edges, ensure there were no burrs, apply more wax to the ground bases, and that the cost was more about the stone grind to flatten the bases and edge angles being reset, her eyes started to glaze over...

I did not learn this on my own, I have the tuning forums to thank for this knowledge.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Although the "chattering" has stopped and the detuning worked, Bob isn't enjoying the skis as much as he would like. He's feeling like they may be too long at 184. He's 6 foot 175 lbs. I think he's planning to sell them and purchase some Elan Ripsticks.

Good plan. :thumb: :thumb:

A 184 is a big ski for #175.

James

Out There
Instructor
The Rip Sticks, at least last year's, are very far from a Kendo. Much softer, more sidecut. Try to demo it first. Consider the Rossi E88 also.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Rip Sticks, at least last year's, are very far from a Kendo. Much softer, more sidecut. Try to demo it first. Consider the Rossi E88 also.
We’ll definitely demo but he’s thinking of a replacement for his Elan 999 which he loves and has skied as a daily driver for many years.

James

Out There
Instructor
We’ll definitely demo but he’s thinking of a replacement for his Elan 999 which he loves and has skied as a daily driver for many years.
The brown one? Very good looking ski. I've tried unsuccessfully to get a shop to part with a pair they have on the wall for many years.

Yeah very different than those too. Extremely different. Might be what he wants. Closer, more modern than the 999: Enforcer 93, Bonafide, Rustler9, Rossi Experience 88, 94. Many more choices. Dynastar Legend 96 is an interesting all mountain choice. Bonafide is prob the closest to the 999. Different skis though.
Just comparing the Bonafide and the Rustler would be interesting. Different designs, both very good skis. Any of those would be more versatile than the 999. Tbh, not a fan of the Rip Sticks. Too floppy, not enough guts. (Opposite of the 999) But I'm not him.

Last edited:
TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
CC1761AC-49FF-4D48-8B7F-214CDBE1F187.jpeg He has this version. I will definitely work on getting him to demo but he doesn’t always follow my advice. It’s one of those would you rather be right or would you rather be married kind of discussions. I’d rather be married and life is too short not to enjoy skiing. It’s only money after all. ;)

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good plan. :thumb: :thumb:

A 184 is a big ski for #175.
I am 5'11" 175 and ski a FIS Atomic Redster GS188 30M and Enforcer 100 @ 185cm. Kendo has Early Rise Tip and Tail, is described as an intermediate to advanced ski. Seems to me @ 184 with early rise tip, it probably skis like a 180, which in my experience is the sweet spot for my size!

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am 5'11" 175 and ski a FIS Atomic Redster GS188 30M and Enforcer 100 @ 185cm. Kendo has Early Rise Tip and Tail, is described as an intermediate to advanced ski. Seems to me @ 184 with early rise tip, it probably skis like a 180, which in my experience is the sweet spot for my size!

Big ski, big skier. It's all relative.

Sponsor

Staff online