• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
About M.C, I argue he is not hip dumping, although he looks and is a little hippy at times, you can't fault anyone for having fun... his overall movement pattern is foot-driven - so the first thing to move and put the skis on edge is not his hip:

2019-11-08_07-40-54.jpg

Hip dumpers generally have a long leg early and drag the skis on edge with the hip, that's for me the defining movement pattern for that. Jamt's diagrams are correct - hip dumping induces an external rotation of the tibia, which can also be used to diagnose it. And again, once you *can* ski with the feet, whether you choose to dump the hips here and there, it is your choice. Up until that point though, it is not a choice, it's how you ski :eek:

Good one. The a-frame is not always a sign of hip dumping, but generally accompanies it

Last edited:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Well, my intent in posting the MC video was not to suggest that hip dumping is his default movement pattern, but simply that it is sometimes a result of getting a pose for the camera. And as I said several times above, there is some really good skiing in there, particularly given the equipment.

Mike

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Are leapers hip dumps, more and more so with higher and higher edge sets?

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Karlo, I see no reason that a good leaper should include a hip dump. Good turn mechanics in regular turns should feature a change of edges at transition, without an immediate major change of the direction the skis are pointed or traveling. Leapers test a skier's ability to accomplish the edge change, and to establish an appropriate degree of angulation, while in in the air. Upon landing, the skier should be in balance, and in a posture similar to what would have resulted at that point in the turn from initiating the turn while in contact with the snow. Failure to establish sufficient edging, leaning to the inside, A-framing, incorrect angulation, incorrect upper-lower body separation, or pivoting will produce more violent negative effects with leapers, due to the sudden impact of the skis on the snow and the rapid buildup of forces.

The PSIA West Level II Study Guide says, "Initiation occurs in the air, and the skis follow a rounded arc. ...When the skis land on the snow, a blending of all skills is used to shape and finish the turn."

Leapers can also be useful in the real world, in bumps or other complex terrain. And they're just fun!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

No. Good luck linking up more than a couple in a row if you're a dumper. Even one good one is a pretty tall order.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Here in the northeast PSIA distinguishes between Leapers and Hop-to-Shape.
--Leapers involve changing edges in the air but not changing the direction the skis point. The skier lifts off on old edges and lands on new edges.
--Hop-to-Shape adds to that a small air-pivot so that the skis land on new edges while pointing more down the fall line than they were at lift-off.

Here in the east, Leapers is a LII ski exam task. Hop-to-Shape is a Level III task.

Last edited:
TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I invite those interested in this thread to join me at this one

https://www.pugski.com/posts/406268/

in the Rehab section, to do some MA on my right and left footers, and to comment on how it pertains to hip dumps.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister