• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What I got for being a "nice guy"

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, that clearly establishes your solution: give up golf.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Or just keep playing golf as long as you don’t mind having a dirty, itchy butt.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
A good walk spoiled...

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
look at this way, the final straw was you doing an act of kindness so you go that goin' for ya'. it could have given way at a much worse time causing catastrophic injury! :).

Shoulders are tricky and the MRI's rarely tell the whole story. I am sure the OS will do a bunch of tests to see how much ROM and strength there is. I had a Dr here tell me my shoulder would be fine even though I could not lift it more than 45* in any direction because the MRI didnt show extensive damage but fortunately, Dr Hackett (Steadman) diagnosed that the damage was far worse. He was right, over 80% tear and the remaining tissue was so damaged it had to be cut out and there was tearing in the biceps that the MRI didnt show at all.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Have you had imaging? I had "bursitis" pain when I was a teen that kind of disappeared until I was in my 50s. MRI showed a bone spur under where a tendon passes through. Shoulder ortho knocked it off and scraped out the arthritis and told me the tendon would form another bone spur but I wouldn't live long enough to need it removed again.

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Have you had imaging? I had "bursitis" pain when I was a teen that kind of disappeared until I was in my 50s. MRI showed a bone spur under where a tendon passes through. Shoulder ortho knocked it off and scraped out the arthritis and told me the tendon would form another bone spur but I wouldn't live long enough to need it removed again.

Your situation sounds quite similar to a comment the OS made as he evaluated my MRI. I also had major bursitis as a teen and the OS noted the "bone spur". He didn't say anything yet about knocking it off and scraping the arthritis, but thanks for letting me know that I should ask the question.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So Sunday, in spite of already seeing this scenario, I slowed down to pick up a pole in the middle of the trail about 100 feet up from someone down on the snow below getting up. I almost broke a finger reaching down to snag the pole. When I looked back up, the person was skiing off WITH TWO POLES. So, I just planted the unclaimed one in the snow so others would see it then skied off..

Last edited:
TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I think the moral of these stories might be to STOP and pick up poles/skis/damsels in distress rather than doing it in while moving, nothwithstanding that it doesn't look nearly so flash.

Good point. Hopefully I'll remember to never attempt the "while in motion" grab again. ;)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I still vaguely remember that the standard protocol when it was a friend's ski was to pick it up and ski off with it making them chase after you on one ski while laughing at them.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wow, sorry to hear about this. Hoping surgery isn’t required.

And kids can hold on to a tbar with just their arms, lying on the ground, and get dragged for 100 yards. Perfectly fine.
It’s the golf.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
[QUOTE="Robert Carlston, post: A long history of skiing, motorcycles, sailboat racing, & a variety of other activities had taken its toll.
Same exact profile here . My ortho says you “ pay” for all the fun you had as a kid. Also, “ the straw that broke the camels back” is a commonly used saying because most things work until they don’t-deteriorating joints tend to happen slowly over time until the cartilage is gone or a tendon separates and then ,suddenly they don’t. Going in for a full hip replacement in February. A lifetime of skiing, soccer, motorcycles ,sailboat racing and running hurdles in high school have taken its toll. Would I trade all of that for a healthy hip? No way, and I’m grateful that I live in a time when I can take advantage of the advances in medical technology. If this had happened 40 years ago, the outlook would have been far different.

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
[QUOTE="Robert Carlston, post: A long history of skiing, motorcycles, sailboat racing, & a variety of other activities had taken its toll.
Same exact profile here . My ortho says you “ pay” for all the fun you had as a kid. Also, “ the straw that broke the camels back” is a commonly used saying because most things work until they don’t-deteriorating joints tend to happen slowly over time until the cartilage is gone or a tendon separates and then ,suddenly they don’t. Going in for a full hip replacement in February. A lifetime of skiing, soccer, motorcycles ,sailboat racing and running hurdles in high school have taken its toll. Would I trade all of that for a healthy hip? No way, and I’m grateful that I live in a time when I can take advantage of the advances in medical technology. If this had happened 40 years ago, the outlook would have been far different.

That's a great viewpoint on life in general. No regrets. Although for me the regret I do have is probably not seeking medical attention more often when I really should have. I wonder if I would have avoided some of the more major issues had I not been so "doctor averse" in my younger days.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
probably not. at least from a dr perspective. most (including myself) would have benefited from early training with a trainer who understands bio mechanics. I have learned so much and have had to correct so much of my muscle memory and alignment from my PT. if I had a young kid who was into sports I would gladly spend the money to work on early adaptation of proper movement and to develop body awareness.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I’ve dislocated my shoulder probably thirty times. That’s also after an operation to fix it way back in the early 80’s. After the first 4-5 times I could pretty easily get it back in if someone held my wrist and i moved away. The first time I needed muscle relaxants and the doc with his foot in my chest yanking on the arm.

I got Goode poles thinking the bend might help because sometimes I planted in the face of a mogul and boom, out it came. The Goode poles didn’t help.
Supposedly, the rotator cuff tightens with age. That happened with me. Sometime in the early 2000’s, it stopped dislocating. That was until a few years ago getting towed behind a boat on a tube, and falling off at some diabolical speed. Another good reason to wear a pfd- you might find yourself floating in the ocean with a dislocated shoulder.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve dislocated my shoulder probably thirty times. That’s also after an operation to fix it way back in the early 80’s. After the first 4-5 times I could pretty easily get it back in if someone held my wrist and i moved away. The first time I needed muscle relaxants and the doc with his foot in my chest yanking on the arm.

I got Goode poles thinking the bend might help because sometimes I planted in the face of a mogul and boom, out it came. The Goode poles didn’t help.
Supposedly, the rotator cuff tightens with age. That happened with me. Sometime in the early 2000’s, it stopped dislocating. That was until a few years ago getting towed behind a boat on a tube, and falling off at some diabolical speed. Another good reason to wear a pfd- you might find yourself floating in the ocean with a dislocated shoulder.

mrsjmills has had 2 surgeries and went 3 years without a dislocation after the second surgery.
Following me down Chartreuse at Alta on a heavy pow day is when it dislocated (digging ski out of snow) for the first time after the second surgery. I didn’t think I could get uphill in ski boots as quick as I did.

We have learned that being seated with one knee bent up, arms locked around the knee, then leaning back gets it back in.