• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What Happened to Three-Quarter Zip Jerseys?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Rudi Riet had some recommendations for jerseys in the "Best Items in Your Kit" thread. That got me off on a bunch of searches. I was very surprised to find that 3/4 zip jerseys are very thin on the ground these days. I much prefer them to fill zip, mostly because they just lie a lot more comfortably over the crunched-up belly region when you're on the bike. Why do people apparently have a strong preference for full zips? What am I missing?

Anyway, anyone have a favorite jersey model or producer that does partial zip? (Note that I can Google with the best of them. I'm looking for first-hand experience.) Thanks in advance.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No idea about where to find them except for the aforementioned google. But thanks for validating my own peeve.
Of course, I -- and apparently you -- do not represent the majority of consumers in almost any arena, so I'm used to being frustrated. I haven't bought a new jersey in well over three years. It's a good thing I had more than I needed to begin with.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I much prefer them to fill zip, mostly because they just lie a lot more comfortably over the crunched-up belly region when you're on the bike. Why do people apparently have a strong preference for full zips? What am I missing?

You are missing two things
1) the preferences of the reduced-shoulder-mobility crowd who simply cannot get into a part-zip jersey unless it's the size of a XXL t-shirt.
2) the Nopinz & Bioracer-type skin jersey movement where the garment is too tight and too stretchy and too aero to do a part-zip on without needing a team of people to put it on you. Which in turn drives the rest of cycle fashion - and the proof is every jersey maker out there now does 'pro' fits.

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You are missing two things
1) the preferences of the reduced-shoulder-mobility crowd who simply cannot get into a part-zip jersey unless it's the size of a XXL t-shirt.
2) the Nopinz & Bioracer-type skin jersey movement where the garment is too tight and too stretchy and too aero to do a part-zip on without needing a team of people to put it on you. Which in turn drives the rest of cycle fashion.

You're right. I was missing both of those things. Thanks.

Both cases explain why each of two separate (but probably not very overlapping) minorities might prefer full zip. They don't really explain (to my mind) why there would NOT be 3/4 zips around for the rest of us, including @tch.

Yes, I did see your comment, "Which in turn drives the rest of cycle fashion." You might be right. Seems stupid.

I know for a fact that there are a ton of riders like me who rarely ride in a big group, and in addition are not necessarily super strong riders - i.e., not averaging 20mph on solo rides, and in addition are not spending a lot of time riding flatlands. All of these things mean that the whole "aero" craze is not all that pertinent to us; we're just not going fast enough for it to matter all that much, when you consider all the other factors - such as beer -slowing us down.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So here in 2021 it's SKINNY jerseys and BAGGY road tires. Got it.

And digital tire pressure advisors. Both of your above are pointless without those :ogbiggrin:

On the upside, wimmins now get both bibs and long inseams - booty shorts are by choice not necessity.
On the upside, zippers and zipper trim are now flexed to the jersey - everyone gets thinner more flexible zippers without wadded 3x thick material adjacent thereto.
On the upside, MTB tech-shirt diehards can get seamless woven-in-the-round tech shirts. Even wool ones.
On the upside, winter jerseys are now awesome and not just a hodgepodge of wool knit and oddly stretched fleece panels.
On the upside, rainwear is also awesome. See-through breathable EVA jackets ? Brilliant.

So, yeh, I reckon I'll save my curmudgeon stick for actual idiocy-in-the-name-of-progress. Like with bottom brackets.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I much prefer them to fill zip, mostly because they just lie a lot more comfortably over the crunched-up belly region when you're on the bike.
Your experience of full zip jersey was a bit outdated.

zippers and zipper trim are now flexed to the jersey - everyone gets thinner more flexible zippers without wadded 3x thick material adjacent thereto.
THAT!

I happened to acquired a couple of full zip jersey for free (riders jersey for my club leader point). I can confirm the zippers no longer crunch up in the belly area.

In fact, one of my jersey“s zipper was so thin I didn’t even noticed they were full length. I put them on overhead for nearly a year!

Not until I tried to help another leader with the same jersey with a broken zipper that I suddenly realized the zipper is full length...

Not that I find any particular advantage for full length zippers. Just notice no disadvantage either.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On the upside, zippers and zipper trim are now flexed to the jersey - everyone gets thinner more flexible zippers without wadded 3x thick material adjacent thereto.
Your experience of full zip jersey was a bit outdated.

My jerseys are between 2 and 8 years old. Let's even say that the 2yo one was NOS and is actually 3 years old. You're telling me there has been some kind of revolution in jersey zipper technology in the last couple years, and that jerseys older than that belong in the yard sale with straight skis and re-entry boots. Okay, I really am old and grumpy now.

What I actually suspect is that zipper technology on stupid-expensive $200 "aero" jerseys has undergone a revolution, and that the middle-class jerseys I'd be more likely to buy probably have the same old setup. Which brings us back to the 3/4 zip thing.

Bah. Humbug.

Reactions: tch

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
What I actually suspect is that zipper technology on stupid-expensive $200 "aero" jerseys has undergone a revolution, and that the middle-class jerseys I'd be more likely to buy probably have the same old setup.
My flex comfy free full zip jersey would have sold for $60 had I paid for it.

(club members can buy it, I got it for free for leading x number of rides)

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My flex comfy free full zip jersey would have sold for $60 had I paid for it.

(club members can buy it, I got it for free for leading x number of rides)

Cool! Brand and model?

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I have a collection of cycling jerseys, almost all of which are from Primal Wear. They all have 3/4 length zippers, although they are also all "old". A quick perusal of the Primal Wear site indicates that they've apparently joined the full-length zipper bandwagon. Jerseys never seem to wear out and they're expensive as hell to replace, so...

I'm with @Tony S ; I never saw the need for the additional ventilation a full-length zipper provides. I can't ride "no hands" anyway (at least not for any significant length of time), so if I were to unzip a full-length zipper all the way I'd have to stop to get it zipped up again. Unlike TdF riders who can be hauling at 20mph up a mountain pass, sit up, zip up their jersey and resume sprinting. :( :eek:

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
For 3/4 zips jerseys, check out the Pearl Izumi Quest Jersey. It's their entry level shirt and they still make those in 3/4 length zipper. I have one that's several years old (7?) that is starting to fade in the shoulders due to too much sun, but other than that still holding strong. The fit is early-season fit (i.e a little bit loose).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I can't ride "no hands" anyway (at least not for any significant length of time), so if I were to unzip a full-length zipper all the way I'd have to stop to get it zipped up again.

Hunh. The "unclip no hands" task from the other thread was a bit jokey, but now you've got me thinking it may not be possible for some.

Do you get wheel flop or is the saddle not a good lever point for you for stability? That used to be a downside of noseless saddles with the counterpoint being 'Who cares'?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hunh. The "unclip no hands" task from the other thread was a bit jokey, but now you've got me thinking it may not be possible for some.

Do you get wheel flop or is the saddle not a good lever point for you for stability? That used to be a downside of noseless saddles with the counterpoint being 'Who cares'?

Kevin is way too tall to ride no hands. If he were to fall it would be like jumping out of a second story window.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Cool! Brand and model?
Strangely enough, Primal Wear! (“model“ doesn't apply, as it”s custom for the club)

Yep! Jersey with flexible full length zipper.

And judging from other posts, they also offer many 3/4 length zipper ones too. So, you can have them either way.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Kevin is way too tall

Kevin is just on the edge of having too-tall-rider problems, like weird weight distribution as the wheelbase gets longer but the chainstays stay much the same, and it is one of the reasons I asked the question.

There's several dozen tradeoff games (with the head angle frex) I can visualise but don't know anything about in practice;.

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

Kevin is way too tall to ride no hands. If he were to fall it would be like jumping out of a second story window.
Kevin is just on the edge of having too-tall-rider problems, like weird weight distribution as the wheelbase gets longer but the chainstays stay much the same, and it is one of the reasons I asked the question.

There's several dozen tradeoff games (with the head angle frex) I can visualise but don't know anything about in practice;.

It’s been a while since I’ve tried riding “no hands”. My recollection is that the front wheel gets squirrelly as if there isn’t enough weight on it?

I can ride all day one handed or in various positions... sitting up on a road bike With fingers just draped on the bars. I’ll have to try it again in the coming days.

The type of bike seems to make a difference... I’ve seen kids on BMX type bikes dribbling a basketball while chatting on the phone while riding.:eek: So I figure I’m either a klutz or I’mjust not a very good bike handler.:(

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January