• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What Happened to MIPS at POC?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
i bought my POC Fornix helmet because it had MIPS protection in it. I now need to replace my helmet after a significant crash, but I can't find any MIPS helmets at POC -- what's up with that?

Mike

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
MIPS is a propriety name..like Gore-Tex. Poc designed and are using their own verison.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I'm not MIPS fan. There is no standard test for the spin injury it is designed to protect against. The MIPS own test requires that the helmet is strapped on tight to have any effect. Apparently, if you leave the helmet loose (the way we all do IRL) there is no difference between MIPS and non-MIPS helmets. I'm thinking that the non-MIPS helmet just spins on your head and protects you against the rotation injury as well as MIPS does.

When Snell or ASTM comes up with a standard test for rotation injuries, I'll look for a helmet that protects me from that.

dm

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I have a show & tell in the office : two helmets that were destroyed in concussive side impacts. Neither MIPS system deployed.

One was pinned against the temple by a crushed vent strut. The other was crushed vertically and flexed outwards at the MIPS band.

Sponsor