• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What happened to Carrera?

Johnny Style

Putting on skis
Skier
Carrera helmets and goggles disappeared from the race scene about three years ago. What happened? The Carrera Bullet is an iconic helmet that was around for over fifty years. I think Robert Redford is rocking one here in Downhill racer.

ent_sports_movs_downhill_racer.jpg

The reason I ask, is that I wear the Carrera Bullet race helmet. It is the only race helmet that fits my big head. I need to get a new one, and since I am limited to ordering from catalogs, I need to find another brand that fits a big head. I have had more than one person approach me at races and ask where I got my Bullet, because they can't find them anymore. Help me.

41kMgi7UKpL._SS500_.jpg

TS
Johnny Style

Johnny Style

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks, not sure how I missed the corporate site. Odd that they list the bullet, yet one can't find them for sale anywhere. I also don't see a single FIS racer on Carrera when just a few years ago they were everywhere.

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I would buy one on EBay, soon. There are a small number, new old stock, on there. They are done with the US market.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Remember, if you are racing you will need one with the new FIS sticker. Required for most levels already, and for Masters from next year.

I always found the carrera helmet felt like a bowling ball on my head!! :)

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
VERY good point ^^^^^^^!

I had assumed that he was just free skiing in a full race style helmet. I think that Carrera puled out of the U.S. race marked with the new FIS testing requirements. Which is kind of odd, given that they are international requirements. I knew one of distributors at one point, and they never had great retail success. Have no idea why.

If the OP needed a Carrera XL to fit, a new FIS spec'd helmet is going to be BIG.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Atomic Redster WC in XL might be big enough, unless he's over 63cm circumference.

Shred XLs are labeled 61 but don't actually settle down on one's head properly.

Sponsor

Staff online