• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I had the idea for this thread some time back but threads like this:
http://pugski.com/forum/threads/goggles-this-is-from-a-psychological-standpoint-only.498/
gelled the intent to post about it.

By external factors I mean things that are not equipment related or clothing related or life-stress related or having an extra coffee at lunch.

We're mostly all familiar with

- Bluebird days
- Skiing with people who are better

What else have you noticed that works for you?

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If I knew the answer to this, I'd have a lot more A game days!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
A single beer and a peanut butter and jelly. Preferably in the trees. I swear my bump skiing improves 2 notches post-lunch beer.

(Beer not pictured. Probably drinking it.)
10994936_10100559842986990_3889796087450176628_n.jpg

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Do yo
If I knew the answer to this, I'd have a lot more A game days!

That's kinda the idea behind this thread, except I'm particularly interested in things you can't directly control.

Stormy weather is good if we assume that when we have more fun we are therefore better.

Here's a question. I posted the idea as a joke back in the Fashionista thread but let's just give it a whirl - does how the people you're with dress lift your mood or make you more alert?

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've actually been thinking about this, because clearly when you're competing at a sport, it's very very important to isolate these things. I don't think I really think about it when skiing, though. When things hurt, that's not so good. When I don't like the snow, I have little motivation. When I think too much about what I'm doing, that's bad. I don't really know ... normally I have pretty good days. The bad days are the exception. Or maybe I just shut them out of my mind.

I really DO like storms, and wind, and snow, it wakes me up for sure.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
When I don't like the snow, I have little motivation

You must be very good at keeping that to yourself! I don't think I've ever noticed that you didn't like the snow - even in some pretty sketchy snow!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Here's a question. I posted the idea as a joke back in the Fashionista thread but let's just give it a whirl - does how the people you're with dress lift your mood or make you more alert?

I like skiing with people in "fun" clothes better than skiing with people in black/grey + dark red/blue. In part it's just easier to find my crew that way ...

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You must be very good at keeping that to yourself! I don't think I've ever noticed that you didn't like the snow - even in some pretty sketchy snow!

Maybe my standards are low! :0 I really don't like extra firm snow, though.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Skiing with Pugski members! (Sorry, I took that softball and swung for the fences :0)
Seriously, this is it for me. When I know I can ski with members of the community and spend time with friends, THAT'S It!

Growing up in the midwest, skiing we created a social experience around it. That is still a strong hold for me.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bad days are usually either pain related or bad snow conditions (like Seg I am not a fan of extra firm).

My best days have involved friends but can be planned or unplanned meet ups, new or old friends, many or just one. Although I've had plenty of really good days by myself. I just like being on snow.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^That made me think (again, dammit hate when that happens): someone asked me last week about my "best days," which was Robyn's formulation, but PJ's was "lifting your game." I don't consider them the same thing, apparently. Most of my "best days" involved a happy surprise, something unexpected, quite often powder but not always. Meaning, days when I'm on my A game aren't necessarily my best days.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Well, it helps if you don't get into a car accident on I-70 on the drive up to go skiing....

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
^^That made me think (again, dammit hate when that happens): someone asked me last week about my "best days," which was Robyn's formulation, but PJ's was "lifting your game." I don't consider them the same thing, apparently. Most of my "best days" involved a happy surprise, something unexpected, quite often powder but not always. Meaning, days when I'm on my A game aren't necessarily my best days.

Agreed. Also, I'm really good at editing my memories so that I remember skiing really well on those best days, even though that might not be factually accurate.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As far as different interpretation I wasn't very clear. I feel like skiing with friends does help me up my game. I push a bit harder, take more risks etc.

But sometimes skiing alone lets me slow down and focus on the little nuances which is also good. Just this past Sunday I spent time revisiting those "tips that stick in your head" for most of the day which I think is really good to do on occasion.

Until I skied with a 17 year old who has raced since she was 6. Holy cow that was about as all out as I've ever gone. That really upped my game. Really glad I didn't crash 'cause that would have hurt.

Sponsor